ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: !!My First Pair!!

Registered Member

Default !!My First Pair!!

i didnt notice any signs of a pair until last night when i turned the light off i noticed my red marlboro and my briiliant blue were together biting at my filter pipe. i thought it might be a pair but i didnt get my hopes up because they never showed signs of a pair. so i woke up this mornin and checked on them and there were eggs but then i had to go to school so i had to wait to check on them again(im 12 years old) so i came back and the eggs were still there with the parents guarding them fiercely. they were fanning them too. i fed blood worms and both went out to eat then i guess one noticed the other one was out and immediately went back to the eggs, then the other came back to the eggs and let the other go eat. they seem like a great pair. im getting a 29 gallon tank on thursday. does any one have any tips. thanx for any help.

jamison sutherland, lexington kentucky

Registered Member SantaFeDiscus's Avatar

Default Re: !!My First Pair!!

Keep your fingers crossed! Thats my tip. Congrats on the pair, they sound like they could be good parents.
    Fred

Registered Member

There's nothing more exciting then your first pair. Congratulations and good-luck with them!

Congrats, Jamie!! Keep us posted.

Judi
    There's two dates in time that they'll carve on your stone, and everyone knows what they mean.
    But what's more important is the time that is known, as that little dash there in between.

Registered Member

thanx,
    only 5 of about 80 eggs are already fungused. i dont think they will hatch in my water. there in my planted tank now. even if they don't hatch because of the water will i be able to see if they are fertilized?

jamie sutherland lexington kentucky

You should be able to see a black dot in the middle of the egg if they are fertilized. If they are going to hatch, they will do that in about 72 hrs.

Judi
    There's two dates in time that they'll carve on your stone, and everyone knows what they mean.
    But what's more important is the time that is known, as that little dash there in between.

Registered Member

thanx.

Registered Member

there is definetly begining to be a black dot in the eggs they are still guarding them and haven't eaten one. no more have been overcome by fungus.

Sounds promising, Jamie! You might have wigglers within the next 48 hrs.

Judi

Hi Jamie... any updates?

Judi

Registered Member

Jamie,

Congrats! I wish I had a pair at 12!

When you get your 29 I recommend painting it blue. Use masking tape and newspaper to protect the front and the top of the tank. I paint three sides and the bottom. A nice sky blue will help show the colors of the fish and as a result help the fry find the parents.

You can use backgrounds, but IMO they do as good of a job.

If you can get your hands on a camera and could post some pics it would be great...

Real Name
    Willie

Nice going, Jamie. Now is the time to think about maybe getting a separate breeder tank for them. Its rare for the first spawn to survive, especially in a planted community tank. If they disappear, don't be disappointed. If you move the pair into a separate breeder tank (make sure its barebottom), they will like spawn again for you in two weeks.

Keep us updated, Willie

Registered Member

well, i had planned that the first spawn would be eaten so i wouldnt get dissa pointed because ive heard of pairs taking many many times to get it right. i came home thursday and there were no eggs so i was sure they had eaten them. on friday i spent the night at a friends and just got back tonight and checked the tank the pair was still hangin around each other then i ate dinner and went back to my tank. there were 5 or 6 little things on the parents LIVING FRY ON THE FIRST SPAWN i was amazed i had never heard of the first spawn doin as well as that much less in a planted tank with plenty of plants and cory cats and tetras and 6 other discus. i am truly amazed!!!!!!!!!

Wow, you are so lucky Jaime. They must be really good parents to have them get that far in a community tank. Congratulations and keep us up to date on how they are doing.

Kristen

Registered Member

i dont see anymore babies i think they were eaten overnight so im gonna move the pair to the 29 gallon tank.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast