AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Massachusetts Discus Breeders?

Registered Member

Default Massachusetts Discus Breeders?

Hello there,

Anyone around MA or Boston who is breeding discus?
    I just got a 75G tank and in a few weeks I want to try out discus. I used to have discus a few years ago but I moved out so I had to pretty much give them for free to a near pet store. I wish I knew about this site earlier so you guys could have them for free or for a very small cost.
    But anyways,
    if anyone lives around the area and has good quality discus, preferably blue diamond I would be more than happy to meet up and eventually agree on a good deal hopefully.
    Keep me updated if anyone is interested in or any advice where I can get them on line, any reliable sites, but again i would prefer to pick them personally.
    Thanks
    Pete

Default Re: Massachusetts Discus Breeders?

Hi Pete. Welcome to Simply . I am always happy to see other people form the area come on line. Where do you live in MA?
    I am not aware of a lot of breeders in the area but the guy that I know I can always depend on for great fish and priceless knowledge is Al Sabetta. He lives in Ct but not too far a drive if you really want some nice fish and tremendous wealth of knowledge and experience. Al posts here as Brewmaster 15. Feel free to PM me if you want. Once again welcome to Simply.
    peter

Registered Member

hello Peter,

Thanks for your reply!!!
    I live near New England Medical Center. There are a lot of nice petstores around but no one is willing to keep Discus due to their demanding nature and frequent water changes, or the ones that they have are in bad shape.
    Thank you for the info about the person in Ct. Is he a breeder or owns a petstore? Also do you know what kind of discus he has and the price he sells them for? I am willing to get at least 7-8 plus I have another friend of mine who has a huge tank and would come along if I can find a good deal.
    Keep me updated.
    Thank you Peter.
    Pete

Registered Member

Just look up brewmaster15 here on the site. He posts some great info and he will email you back when you write him. nice guy to deal with.

You may want to try Tropic Isle in Framingham, MA, on Rt 9. Ask for Ellis London, maybe if he's still around can hook you up with some nice blue diamonds! I would bet that they still do have discus and pretty good ones for a petshop! If you go there, let me know what you find?

goodluck,
    Sandeep

Registered Member

Hello

I actually went to Tropical isle a few weeks ago. They have great corals, and salt water fish but the discus to be honest with you weren't that great. Maybe I happened to go at a bad time but perhaps i will try again during the summer.
    It's definitely a good place though, no complains.
    When i go again i will keep you updated.
    Adios
    Pete

Hi Pete,
    Welcome to SimplyDiscus.com! I am located in CT not too far away from you.If you want to drive down sometime let me know and we can set something up.. You can send me a pm here or email .

I am not a Pet shop, Just a hobbyist breeder... But I do have many fish here and enjoy meeting others in the Hobby.

Take care,

ps.. Thanks Guys
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Okay the only other good store I knew was in Nashua, NH but again their discus stock may not be any better than Tropic Isle. You can always give them a call.

If Al's not to far a drive for you I would think it's definately worth the trip. I often think I'm going to drive up too see him myself. I would bet the fish would be better quality and cheaper!

take care,
    Sandeep
    Last edited by Elcid; 06-11-2006 at 10:35 AM.

Registered Member

Hello Sandeep,

Sounds good.
    I will check this out. Thanks for your suggestions.
    I will keep you updated.
    There is so much support here that I might not even have to go to a petstore.
    The more I realize that you must be really lucky to find good discus at a petstore. I don't blame them though.
    I think the best deal is to find a hobbyist.
    That's all for now.
    Adios
    Pete

Hey Pete:

After you read a bit about discus you will understand why pet stores don't carry them. Be very sure that you want to keep discus only bare bottom tank before you jump in! Don't let anyone convince you otherwise!

goodluck,
    Sandeep

Hey Pete,
    I'm up in the Salem, MA. area. Welcome aboard. Anything I can do to help you out, please let me know. I'm in Boston almost every day so if you would like to meet for coffee and conversation, let me know. As far as local breeders go, it's virtually a wasteland. LFSs don't carry much in the way of discus. I tried to get P J Pets up in Saugus, on Rt.1, interested. He has some of my older fish on display up there but he has'nt brought in anything worthwhile to sell. Tropic Isle is the only one who carries an assortment of discus but his stock is lower level Asian and very expensive for what you get. I used to buy from him exclusively until I fond some of the breeders through Simply. Uncle Ned's on Rt. 109 in Millis has a few good fish on occasion but doesn't carry discus as a rule. He will order from Wattley on special orders.(somewhat over priced) Your best bet is to check out Al's place in Conn. or to check out Rocky Mountain Discus and Gold Mountain Discus who both happen to be sponsors on Simply. I've had fantastic luck with both. Especially when shipping in cold weather. The Boston Aquarium Society usually has sources for discus also but I've been to some of their meetings and events and it's mostly hype. They are a good group but lean towards African Cichlids in a big way.
    Anyhow if there is anything I can help you with, please let me know. Good luck in your endeavor....................Ed

Registered Member

Hi everyone , My name is susan my boyfriend and i live in massachusetts we would very much like to set up a small discus room in our basement. My boyfriend has bred discus before but that was over ten years ago. We could do with some advice regarding the purchase of tanks, equipment and fish. We need to install a ro unit and would like a drip feed system on our tanks but know zero about plumbing. Does anyone in MA or close to it have any drilled tanks, trickle filters and good quality discus for sale. Great site thanks again, Susan.

Hi Susan. Welcome to Simply. Where in Massachusetts do you guys live? I live in Western Mass.
    Welcome once again to Simply,
    peter

Registered Member

Hi Peter we are in Holliston . Ro unit arrives tomorrow but we need some tanks, preferably drilled and some clue as how to set them up lol, cheers !

Registered Member

Hi again guys we are trying to contact Al, brewmaster15 to see if he has any fish or equipment for sale. Not having much luck at present perhaps as we are new to simply discus im doing something wrong regarding the message procedure and they are not getting through to him any ideas ? Susan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast