ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Faces To names..part 3

Default Re: Faces To names..part 3

Hey Jason, Eddie and Steve, thanks for all the kind words. Love living on the farm real peaceful.

I would love to see some of your birds if you can get shots of them we get heaps of birds here but I don't keep them as such. I had to look up what an Anatolian sheepdog was, they are beautiful too and they work much the same as my meremma. She weighs in at 54kgs what about your fellow?
    Cheers Kath

geez Kath, that's about what I weigh

Quote Originally Posted by calihawker View Post
    ROFLMAO!
    Yeah Rox! Can you picture that!
    Not really....I'm trying lol...

It's you that's into falconry isn't it Steve? I laaarv falcons, they are so sweet for a bird of prey....is the bird you are getting bred in captivity?

Rox
    Everything goes back to the sea....Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wild View Post
    Hey Jason, Eddie and Steve, thanks for all the kind words. Love living on the farm real peaceful.

I would love to see some of your birds if you can get shots of them we get heaps of birds here but I don't keep them as such. I had to look up what an Anatolian sheepdog was, they are beautiful too and they work much the same as my meremma. She weighs in at 54kgs what about your fellow?
    Never pictured myself on a farm but now that I'm here I could never go back. To live that is. I still love the city

This is my anatolian shephard, Polar Bear. This is the best picture to show his incredible size. Rochelle, also pictured, is not a small lady, shes 5'10" if that gives you an idea. He weighed 165 lbs. at a year old and I know he's filled out some since. What's that, like around 75 Kilos?

It's you that's into falconry isn't it Steve? I laaarv falcons, they are so sweet for a bird of prey....is the bird you are getting bred in captivity?

There are some Cooper's hawk breeders but I prefer to take a bird from the wild. 80% of wild Cooper's don't make it through their first year so for me part of the reward is knowing that I'm insuring the health and viability of at least one, and when hunting season is over in April, it goes back to the wild, hopefully to make more Coopers hawks I believe that Australia is one of the very few countries that do not allow falconry. You have some beautiful birds of prey A friend of mine is a professional animal trainer and he has an Australian wedge tailed eagle. Totally cool bird.

Here's a pic of a couple Harris's hawks. Corey and Syd. Unfortunately Syd met with an accident last season so I only have Corey now.

Wow....they are way bigger than I imagined.... I was imagining them to be like the one named Horis in The Mummy II....must be awesome to actually handle one....what a buzz...and you release them back, that's interesting...is this giving the species a better chance of survival by raising the young in the relative "safety" of captivity?

BTW Your dog is not a dog, it's a breed of horse! lol ...

Rox

There is a guy at Taronga Zoo in Sydney that does a show with a falcon...must have special license to have them, but it is a zoo so, ...
    Last edited by Roxanne; 05-23-2009 at 03:36 AM.
    Everything goes back to the sea....Dylan

Never pictured myself on a farm but now that I'm here I could never go back. To live that is. I still love the city

This is my anatolian shephard, Polar Bear. This is the best picture to show his incredible size. Rochelle, also pictured, is not a small lady, shes 5'10" if that gives you an idea. He weighed 165 lbs. at a year old and I know he's filled out some since. What's that, like around 75 Kilos?

Steve

He is magnificent! Polar Bear is a great name for him! He has a similar look to him as my Bella (anabella montebella fatimah robinson). Thought she deserved a long regal name! LOLOLOL

There are some Cooper's hawk breeders but I prefer to take a bird from the wild. 80% of wild Cooper's don't make it through their first year so for me part of the reward is knowing that I'm insuring the health and viability of at least one, and when hunting season is over in April, it goes back to the wild, hopefully to make more Coopers hawks I believe that Australia is one of the very few countries that do not allow falconry. You have some beautiful birds of prey A friend of mine is a professional animal trainer and he has an Australian wedge tailed eagle. Totally cool bird.

Here's a pic of a couple Harris's hawks. Corey and Syd. Unfortunately Syd met with an accident last season so I only have Corey now.

Yes we have the wedge tails here, last season 3 of them attacked killed and ate my rooster! I think it might have been parents showing their young what to do. They fly way up high overhead a fair bit here, so graceful to watch with their "fingers" flipped skyward, they are a magnificent creature. We used to live on a river and often saw osprey's fishing, that was a sight to behold as well!.

We are the same re the farm never really saw ourselves here until we realised we could enjoy an alternative llife without being too "out there" if you know what I mean.

I have a fuel stove that heats our water and heats the house and of course I cook on it! We are currently renovating as we bought an old timber church so we are converting it to our home. Interesting times ahead!
    Nice chatting Steve and Rochelle.
    Cheers Kath

Registered Member Cooldadddyfunk286's Avatar

Steve, awesome birds bro, sorry to hear about the accident 1 had. thats cool that you release them. I think thats such a cool hobby man. It really is
    -Jason-
    -------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Cooldadddyfunk286 View Post
    Steve, awesome birds bro, sorry to hear about the accident 1 had. thats cool that you release them. I think thats such a cool hobby man. It really is
    Yeah, it was a real drag. The worst part was for over a week I thought it was Corey that was killed, they're totally identical. It wasn't till I filled out the paperwork for Fish and Game that I read the band number and realized it was Syd.

Wow....they are way bigger than I imagined.... I was imagining them to be like the one named Horis in The Mummy II....must be awesome to actually handle one....what a buzz...and you release them back, that's interesting...is this giving the species a better chance of survival by raising the young in the relative "safety" of captivity?
    The cooper's hawk will be a little smaller, about the size of a crow. I have to think that yes, I'm giving it a way better chance to get through that first, very difficult year. People ask about the life expectancy of birds of prey and while they can live to be over 20, their average is between 18-24 months

He is magnificent! Polar Bear is a great name for him! He has a similar look to him as my Bella (anabella montebella fatimah robinson). Thought she deserved a long regal name! LOLOLOL
    That's great!

Real Name
    Ricardo

you are a regular Ace Ventura Steve! i was just wondering about the legality of catching these hawks here in Cali. do you need a license? it's not that i'm interested in doing it because i would imagine it takes a whole lot of experience to handle these magnificent birds of prety. i'm just curious because i rarely see a hawk around my area. i have seen a few out in Griffith park but like i said, it's a rarity. good luck with all of your pets, btw that dog is beautiful

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    you are a regular Ace Ventura Steve! i was just wondering about the legality of catching these hawks here in Cali. do you need a license? it's not that i'm interested in doing it because i would imagine it takes a whole lot of experience to handle these magnificent birds of prety. i'm just curious because i rarely see a hawk around my area. i have seen a few out in Griffith park but like i said, it's a rarity. good luck with all of your pets, btw that dog is beautiful
    LOL. Yeah it's easier to get an Uzi in this state! It's a dual state/federal permit. You gotta go through a 2 year apprenticeship program. They dictate all the details of how the bird is acquired, housed and handled and when you take it out to the field to hunt, they see it just as if you're firing a loaded weapon. All the hunting regulations apply.

It would be rare just about anywhere in this state, or any other for that matter not to see loads of red tailed hawks. If your talking about cooper's, they're all over too but they use absolute stealth and are rarely seen. It could be in your backyard and you wouldn't even know it. Most people just see an explosion of feathers around the bird feeder. That's a coops

Real Name
    Ricardo

LOL. Yeah it's easier to get an Uzi in this state! It's a dual state/federal permit. You gotta go through a 2 year apprenticeship program. They dictate all the details of how the bird is acquired, housed and handled and when you take it out to the field to hunt, they see it just as if you're firing a loaded weapon. All the hunting regulations apply.

It would be rare just about anywhere in this state, or any other for that matter not to see loads of red tailed hawks. If your talking about cooper's, they're all over too but they use absolute stealth and are rarely seen. It could be in your backyard and you wouldn't even know it. Most people just see an explosion of feathers around the bird feeder. That's a coops
    good to know, i figured you needed a permit that was hard to come by or else a lot of people would have some . it seems like a great thing to do and you must get so much pleasure out of it. such a majestic looking creature

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Hawks, goats, where do you guys live, Gilligan's Isle??
    I am so "city slicker" is terrible.
    Last edited by MSD; 05-24-2009 at 01:31 PM.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wild View Post
    Ok here is my husband and I at a recent 50th.

Then there is Bella the Merrema sheepdog and some sheep.

Lastly little Jemmima. Our children are all growm up so these are our babies now and of course our discus!

We have been married 33 years and live on a small farm.
    Kath,

You two are looking great! It's nice to put a face with a name! Nice to met you! LOL! All the best to the both of you and happy anniversary! Congratulations!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There are some Cooper's hawk breeders but I prefer to take a bird from the wild. 80% of wild Cooper's don't make it through their first year so for me part of the reward is knowing that I'm insuring the health and viability of at least one, and when hunting season is over in April, it goes back to the wild, hopefully to make more Coopers hawks
    That's very interesting. How long does it take you to train a wild cooper, so that it accepts you & assists you in the hunting & then how easily does it settle back in to life in the wild. After a period of time back in the wild, does the bird still recognise you & would it respond to you if it saw you? These are no doubt pretty basic questions for one in the know, like you, but something that I'm really curious to learn about.
    Cheers
    Robyn

Quote Originally Posted by avionics30 View Post
    Kath,

You two are looking great! It's nice to put a face with a name! Nice to met you! LOL! All the best to the both of you and happy anniversary! Congratulations!
    Thanks Chad
    This thread has been great hasn't it? Putting faces to names we talk to every other day even Phill got a buzz to see everyone and what they are doing. Its been a good one! Now when I say "oh on the forum so snd so said blah blah", he can relate, really good idea Brew!
    Cheers Kath

Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast