AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: SF Bay Area breeder

Registered Member

Default SF Bay Area breeder

Hi All,
    I'm new in Discus area. I've been lurking around at this site. There seem to be couple discus place in bay area. Sunrise tropical, Universal Discus, LeImports and Discusworld. Red Flower from Universal and Yellow strains from Sunrise interested me. Anyone has one of these ?
    *I'd like to hear respond after having discus from any breeder "longer than 3 months". Shorter than that period might not show the actual fish.
    **Any kind of specialty from that breeder? Such as Bing Seto focus on breeding striated discus(from Breeder's Survey of DBWS). Local SF Bay Area prefered but not limited to other US breeder.
    ***Why it has to be only from breeder? Because importer or reseller can't controll the quality of the fish. Unless the policy for return or exchange if the fish quality is changed not due to buyer(such as hormoned - juiced up fish).
    I'm looking for joy in selecting and raising discus, not having headache and frustration of having discus. I would not want to repeat same mistake from keeping koi. Such as paying for market price (not cheap one) but receive fish that later become a waste. For my 12 years of rasing koi, i learn that it's all in the genetic. If it's from a good line then type of food, water, or other aspect will affect only 5 percent of the fish later. Of course if you don't feed and clean filter or change water then fish won't grow and will die Looking back i was advised to feed silkworm, color enhanced food, pouring all kind of chemical to improve the condition of koi come from not quality line.
    Please be objective, don't want this to be a bashing post

P.s I started with Tsekoi but did not have good result. I found Champkoi and Koiauction got better fish.

Registered Member

Default Re: SF Bay Area breeder

Hi:
    It looks like you've done some research, and have come up with some local discus sellers. It also sounds like you've gained a lot of experience with your koi, that you don't want to repeat with discus. Good thinking!!

I will have some locally born and raised discus available for sale next week. These fish are not hormoned, raised in our local tap water, healthy, and TOP quality. I will have over 100 fish for you to choose from, 2"-3" in size. Each and every one of them is locally born and raised in the Bay Area. Guaranteed.

These fish are not your $10 cheap imports. They are very reasonably priced for locally bred, healthy fish. No Pigeon Bloods, only the latest strains and favorite old-time strains. PM me, and we can talk, B4 you make your discus purchase!
    Brigitte

Registered Member

tech4all,

Some of the breeder/hobbist will be at the B.A.D. this Sunday. So, you could find out what everyone has in their hatchery.

David

Brigitte,
    What kinds of fry you have for sale?

Keith

Registered Member

I'll let you know on Tuesday.
    Brigitte

Registered Member

Brigitte, I just pm you.

David, I forget about this thread when i got to B.A.D meeting. Can you pm me those contact, if you know ?

Keith, it's nice to see reseller that understand fish from buyer point of view, not on dollar based view. It would be great if you can input a few point in your faq link such as:
    1. what percentage of culling a brood?(70% will be on market at 2-3", 40% from last culling going to market at 4-5")
    2. how many stage of culling? (at .5", 1", 2", 4", etc..)
    3. how long the parent discus stay in breeding program after a new improving generation discovered?
    4. Are the fish(same size) that you imported come from the same brood?
    I asked these question to see not only about how much quality a commercial breeder have for fish. It's also about the breeder if he or she will stay and improve the strain of discus.

Last, anyone has an update link of Breeder survey like DBWS? If not, can a Mod create one?
    Last edited by tech4all; 08-17-2005 at 03:30 AM.