ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: flagellates? I think so but not sure?

Default flagellates? I think so but not sure?

I have been noticing not much growth on a couple of my babies. One turq is quite tiny and a few of the discus have the symptoms below. I have been noticing the stringy threads but being a novice, was thinking along the lines of "this is normal pooh". This is the type of pooh I'd see from my guppies or platys but discus pooh is more turd like, right?

So before I do my water change, should I be treating with Metronidazole? Better to put in food or in the tank water?

Thanks.

Barb

Intestinal Flagellates:
    Symptoms: Your discus may quit eating or spit out it's food. White, stringy, muscus-like feces will hang like a thread from the anus. He may be dark in color and stay in the back of the tank away from the other discus.
    Treat with Metronidazole sold in pet stores as Hex-A-Mit or Metrozol. Can be purchased online from several sources. 400 - 500 mg per 10 gallons of water. Tank temperature 92 degrees +. Dose each day after a 50% water change for 3 to 5 days. Use 92 degree water for water changes. Feed sparingly of favorite foods. Keep water temperature elevated for a week after treatment ends. It may take a week or so for the discus to regain it's appetite. In severe cases of long standing you may need to dose every 8 hours for three days. May dose all fish in tank or remove affected fish to hospital tank. Should not hurt your biofilter.
    Last edited by traco; 11-21-2005 at 05:14 PM.

Default Re: flagellates? I think so but not sure?

One more pic (so for blurriness)
    Last edited by traco; 11-21-2005 at 05:14 PM.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

May be beginnings of hex. Usually the feces is pure mucus. First line of defense is always extra water chagnes and cleaning the tank and filters. Flagellates is a sign that something is stressing the fish. You have to take care of the underlying problem or they will just show symptoms again.

Thanks Carol. This has been going on for a while now. I think a combo of not enough food, every second day with water changes and stress. Have gone to daily water changes, feeding more quantity at feedings where I have seen improvement with weight gain but the stringy, floaty stuff has been there for a while.

I feel like a bad/ignorant owner! I saw this stringy stuff and put it down to feces. I was also see the mouse like turds so thought their bowels were fine. But I've been having problems with a couple of the small ones not growing as well as the others and two small ones being dark color and hiding. I never saw anyone expel this stringy stuff.

So, I need to treat with Metro? I've got 3 vials of Seachem Metro 5 grams each. Is this going to be enough to do a treatment? I'm reading the metro thread and getting facts from it. Thank goodness there is this info to read!

Thanks for the reply.

Wonder if this is plecos turds? It's definately not white and I have seen no one having anything hanging out of them?

Forever Friends

Could be pleco turds Barb.

Barb
    Feb 14, 1962- Dec 5, 2007

Barb was a friend to us all and we will all miss her dearly....Rest in Peace .

Yah, the light bulb went on when I got home and looked at the tank for a while. And that is why I still post in the "Discus for Dummies" section!! Jeez, look and sound like a rookie

So, I'll quietly sign off now. Thanks Barb and Carol for your time. I know there are tons of posts and thanks for taking the time to help me (even though there really was no problem)!! Good thing I don't run into you guys in the street. Can just hear it now "ssshhh, here comes Barb. Remember she was the one who didn't know turds from worms?"

Again, thanks.

Barb

(maybe I should change my name .... )

Forever Friends

I think you're doing a GREAT job with them!!!!!!! Better to be safe than sorry Barb, ask lots of questions, your care for those babies shines through

Barb
    Last edited by Barb Newell; 08-26-2005 at 11:48 PM.
    Feb 14, 1962- Dec 5, 2007

Barb was a friend to us all and we will all miss her dearly....Rest in Peace .

Registered Member

Mixing magnesium sulfate in their food will also treat hex. It is more cost effective too. Reference -- Fish Disease by Edward Noga. If you plan on keeping discus and other fish, I highly recommend this book, it is excellent.

Hope they recover for you.

Mary

Registered Member

It maybe the picture itself, but it looks like you have planaria (sp?) in your tank.

Little white worms.

Its a sign of a dirty tank if this is the case. It may be the picture though

I had just fed frozen beefheart about 15 minutes before I took my blurry pics. I wipe down the sides once a week and do water changes daily. Bear in mind I'm not the greatest digital camera buff.