AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Are my fish having an orgy?

Registered Member

Default Are my fish having an orgy?

My fish are showing all the signs of imminent breeding. But I am confused as to who and when :-) Some help would be appreciated...

First Sunny (a Red Melon) started doing the twitching thing yesterday (before completely knocking himself out - see seperate thread). It seemed that Tigger - a San Marah - was the target because Sunny only seemed to doing his thing when Tigger was nearby, although he didn't seem very interested.

Then, out of the blue, Stripes - a Royal Blue -started shaking. Not much but clearly when near Sunny. Next (and this took place over a two hour period or so), Tigger started getting involved and began to peck at a plant pot.

Eventually, Sunny started to help out with the pot cleaning but Tigger started pecking at him to stop. Then - and this was the confusing bit - Stripes started to peck at the pot and Tigger had no apparent problem with this. In the end I saw all three fish pecking at the same plant pot. I have no idea who's who and who wants to be with who. The lights went out at that time.

Some questions... Is this "threesome" behavior usual? Kinda surprised me. How long can the twitching/cleaning thing go on for? Do discus generally carry on at night (when they have started preparing) or do they have a rest and continue in the morning (that seems to be what they are doing now)?

Just to add to the fun, Phantom (a Blue Cobolt) just started to shake while near Sunny.

Thanks.

Mark
    Last edited by markwill; 09-11-2005 at 12:12 PM.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Are my fish having an orgy?

I often see this activity when a tank of young adults are raised together. Typically, the females twitch, dance, even make dry spawning runs. Females will often go through this activity together, while males watch. You also get times when young male + female will clean a surface and go through dry spawning runs. Unfortunately, its not a prelude to spawning. They may not spawn for another 4 - 5 months.

Have patience and don't be dissappointed if nothing else happens. Something will eventually.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Default Re: Are my fish having an orgy?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie
    I often see this activity when a tank of young adults are raised together. Typically, the females twitch, dance, even make dry spawning runs. Females will often go through this activity together, while males watch. You also get times when young male + female will clean a surface and go through dry spawning runs. Unfortunately, its not a prelude to spawning. They may not spawn for another 4 - 5 months.

Have patience and don't be dissappointed if nothing else happens. Something will eventually.

Willie
    Bummer :-) I've been getting so excited, as have my kids. I'll try to stay patient.

Thanks for the response, Willie.

Mark