ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Upside Down Discus

Registered Member

Question Upside Down Discus

Hi, i was in for a real shock and upset last night when i discovered my 4" blue turq swimming upside down near to the surface . It seemed to be struggling to swim upright and i thought i was going to lose it. Miraculously, in the morning it is back to its normal self! I've three 4" discus in a 30 gal tank and behaving normal (BT and 2 PB). Except that there are a few pieces of whittish slime coatings in the water, and occasionally the fish would be skirttsh. i've dosed medicine mainly for gill disease bought fr a local lfs. Can anyone advise if i should administer PP or formalin as a prevention measure? I've been hunting for formalin but my local lfs here claimed not heard about it?? Is there another name for formalin?

Thank you and regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Robo; 09-11-2005 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Attach pics

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re: Upside Down Discus

Sounds like constipation. Go to the grocery or drug store and buy epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) people use it as a foot soak. Next time he act like that add 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons. It won't hur tthe biofilter or the other fish.

Registered Member

Hi, just attach a pic of each of my discus. Would be grateful if you could comment about their health, if possible. Carol, just read your reply. I've got some epsom salt and will do so after a wc soon. Got another question here: can i feed my discus with just bits? Didn't like the idea of fouling up water though i've been feeding with a variety of food like frozen bh, bloodworm, brine shrimp and different brands of bits for discus. My discus do accept bits.
    Thank you and regards, here's another pic of my PB.

Registered Member

One last pic of PB - is this stunted? It's eyes look slightly bigger than the other 2!
    Last edited by Robo; 09-11-2005 at 09:47 PM.

Yes, you can feed, just tetrabits, but a variety is better. Don't add the epsom salt unless you see bloating. I don't think they look stunted.

Registered Member

Thumbs up Re: Upside Down Discus

Thanks for the advice, Carol. Jus got a can of freeze dried cyclop-eeze and artemia. Now with 4 different brands of tetra bits, i hope my discus will not be bored with processed food. Will still feed them with frozen BH, BW and brine shrimps occasionally tho! Oh yes Carol, here's to extend an early welcome to Singapore! It would be great to meet up with you in person when you're here!

Registered Member

In my experience this happens alot with dried food. The fish takes the food in dry and then it swells in the stomach when it meets water. To avoid this happening again I would pre soak and dried food you have and also try a varied diet too.

Matt

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by mattb
    In my experience this happens alot with dried food. The fish takes the food in dry and then it swells in the stomach when it meets water. To avoid this happening again I would pre soak and dried food you have and also try a varied diet too.

Matt
    Thanks for the advice Matt. I'll do so. I consider myself lucky that my discus will accept dried food cos i've got friends whose discus jus won't accept dried or processed food. In my opinion, water get less fouled up than putting in bh. BTW, are those silvery gills normal for my discus?

Registered Member

your discus look pretty healthy to me, no stress bars and good colour so I wouldn't worry. Be careful of some dry foods, they can dislve very easy and make the water go bad without you noticing. I agree though BH can be a pain. I feed a mix of dried and "fresh" food including beefheart. Seems to work at the moment.

Matt

Registered Member

Thanks again Matt. When you mentioned 'stress bars' - what do you mean? Darkened bars on BT? I thought my BT's colouration is pretty dull at the moment, but then again, if it's healthy, I gladly accept it as it is. This is a great forum - to learn and learn more! Kudos to the SimplyDiscus Team!

Registered Member

If you look at your BT you'll see vertical bars on it, the more pronounced they are the more stressed the fish is. Day to dat stress is reflected in the bars going darker for a fe seconds or minutes then they disappear again. Long term stress leads the fish to go darker, almost black and the bars to stay black. Looking at your fish again it seems a little light but that may be due to environment, you have a light background by the looks of it and a bright tank so it is trying to blend in. If you painted the back of the tank blue the fish would probably darken a little. They do look, from the picture, young though so they will develop their colour over time.

Matt

Gills look fine to me.