ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to measure discus?

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Default How to measure discus?

Hey~

I want to see how big my discus have gotten since I got them. They were 3 months old and 2inches~I plopped them in my tank on Sept 9th so they are a little over 4 months now~

One looks soooooooo big! Please tell me I dont have to take them out and actually measure them? I would so drop them and they would die i know i would kill one of em! From tail to nose?? or no? They are so cool and the colors are coming out esp on the Cobolt. His top fins are blue!! not always but sometimes...

Thanks!

Marie~

Default Re: How to measure discus?

Some people have suggested before that you can hang a standard CD in the tank and see how they compare to the CD.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Many measure from base of tail to nose - other measure total length tip of nose to tip of tail. You can tape a ruler on the outside of the tank for a very rough measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol_Roberts
    Many measure from base of tail to nose - other measure total length tip of nose to tip of tail. You can tape a ruler on the outside of the tank for a very rough measure.

Of course this is easier said than done . If your fish are like mine, as soon as they see me they are head on in front of the glass waiting to be fed

Thanks guys!

That cd idea is certainly interesting, Shalu ! I shall see what i can come up with!

Marie!

ps. Tina, my fish do that too!

Well Marie, I was going to reply to this question, but there were some really good ideas on how to do it..besides I gave my anwsered to the question on what's turning into our thread...LOL
    "Beep-Beep"

JM!

That is so funny cuz i just post in 'our' thread! Thank you so much...Hey, JM, would it hurt them much IF i did take them out real quick and measure them? It would probably stress them no doubt...would you do that??

Would anyone??

Marie~

Quote Originally Posted by Kindredspirit
    JM!

That is so funny cuz i just post in 'our' thread! Thank you so much...Hey, JM, would it hurt them much IF i did take them out real quick and measure them? It would probably stress them no doubt...would you do that??

Would anyone??

Marie~

Marie,
    Discus are much more tougher fish then we give them credit for, after all, as beautiful a place the Amazon is where they come from, it is also equally as dangerous and life threatening at times. I don't think netting them gently and quickly doing a measure on them is not going to cause them any great amount of stress...not as long as you give them a kiss on the lips before dropping them back in the tank. They may even think of it as an adventure, or a romance if you get really involved in kissing them. (in that case, I don't want to hear about it)
    "Beep-Beep"

You crack me up, JM! I think i am going to do that...take them out and measure them real quick~

....and i juss may kiss them before i put them back, Sir~ ( i will let you know cuz you know you wanna know!)

Marie!

I took out my pleco, measured him, and then compared that to how big the discus look next to him. He's about 7.5" and I think he's been stunted, so he doesn't grow anymore. It's pretty accurate I think. (for an estimate)

OK Marie...give us the dirty details.....was it good for you? Was it good for the Discus???
    "Beep-Beep"

okay. .... i shall just put this out there! What is a Pleco? No comment from you JM...lol.... I have four discus and one tiny Rainbow Shark in my 30 gal and in my hospital tank i have one Angel Fish and a Dojo Eel, and three lemon tetras....I have heard so many talk about Plecos, and i was going to check it out but never did....so .........

A picture?? Mughal, i gather that whatever it is, it is long? That is a good idea....

And....JM.. no details for you(i havent measured yet, I will I will, dont start trippin on it...lol)

Marie~

I promise I wont start trippin on this yet...but you give me such god material, LOL.

A Pleco is a sucker mouth catfish...more kissing might be involved...
    "Beep-Beep"

....a sucker mouth catfish....I knew that...I DID....thanks!

brat!

( JM, how do ya like those glasses?)

Marie~

Quote Originally Posted by Kindredspirit
    ....a sucker mouth catfish....I knew that...I DID....thanks!

brat!

( JM, how do ya like those glasses?)

Marie~
    There nice Marie...ahhhh, I hope that's not what you look like, because then it mean's I've been chatting with a little round yellow ball with big eyes....

LOL, I must say that my friend Carol who I met online years ago in the "Babylon 5" chat room's calls me a brat also form time to time...she lives in California also...must be a California thing to call me a brat!
    (B5 was a great sci fi TV show)
    "Beep-Beep"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast