ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rinsing BBS

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Rinsing BBS

For those of you using bbs nets, look carefully at the waste water. You'll find lots of bbs go right through those nets. I don't have any experience with using coffee filters. The best sieve I found is on Steve Rybecki's angelfish site. No bbs goes through. They can be soaked in Clorox and I've used mine for 5 years without any wear and tear.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

This question might sound kinda dumb .. but how exactly do you siphon the BBS out from the jar using airline tube ?

With water change, I use my mouth to initiate the initial suction (not the best way but I found it being the quickest and easiest).

But with BBS, I don't think I want to do it my way.

Can anyone tell me how to do it wiht airline tube ?

Real Name
    Stud Muffin

It shouldn't take more than a 'quick suck' to get the flow going...as long as the tubing that your using is long enough, you shouldn't get a mouthfull. The only other way to start the syphon would be to fill the airline with fresh water and then cap off the ends with your fingers...submerge one end into the BS and take your finger off....place the other end in whatever container and take your finger off that end, the syphon should start.
    Or...just get a large syringe and attach a 12" length of rigid tubing to the end of it....a lot easier.

Tony

Registered Member

I use 3/8" clear tubing about a foot long, when the BBS fall to the bottom of the container (after I cut the air) I hold my finger over the top, insert the tubing straight to the bottom, remove my finger, by allowing the air to release the water rushes in with the BBS, i then put my finger back over the top end of the tube and pull it straight out, as it clears the container I cap off the bottom of the tubing with my other hand (finger) low and behold its is full of BBS!
    I take it to the tank and go straight over the fry and release my finger and they drop in, PRESS THE EASY BUTTON!

-Tom

Registered Member

I've got questions here everyone since I am a newbie on this!!
    Ok,
    I've got the San Francisco Bay Brand Hatch kit. I use a 2 ltr. bottle..
    First off, what is a good Recipe for starting up a batch.
    1/4 tsp BBS to ? salt, and ? Baking soda??

Also, I have around 1-200 8-10 day old fry . I feed em' at least 2 x per day
    and do a WC after each feeding and wipe down as well..

I've heard you can use a "Pantyhose" as well for a Strainer .
    So,
    How do you guys Store em' afterwords ? I do plan on putting them in
    the Fridge. Once you Drain em from the 2 ltr. bottle, do you then syphon right into another container for holding in the fridge? You don't use the existing water that they were hatching in right??
    AH, Questions, Questions, Sorry about that

I noticed that a lot of you harvest your BBs all at once. I keep them in the same bottle they were hatched in and just feed from there for 2-3 days.

I just started using live BBs recently and was wondering about what to do with the BBs once they are hatched and how long are they nutritious for before I switch to a fresh supply?

Glad to see I wasn't the only one with questions about this

Registered Member

Henpecked. BBS are only good for 12 hrs after they hatach. After that they loose there egg sack and realy do nothing for your fish.

Jerry

Whew, thanks for the info. I will switch to a 2 bottle system right away. Guess you never stop learning in this hobby

Also wondered if frozen BBs supply the same benefits I breed on a very small scale, so the extra cost is not a big issue.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by henpecked View Post
    Whew, thanks for the info. I will switch to a 2 bottle system right away. Guess you never stop learning in this hobby

Also wondered if frozen BBs supply the same benefits I breed on a very small scale, so the extra cost is not a big issue.
    when i was in the US i used live bbs ,, now here in Portugal i have been using both anf the frozen one is very good they also love it. havnt had any complains .

Quote Originally Posted by henpecked View Post

You can also harvest what you need to feed the fry live with...and before the BBS get too old.. freeze them in a Zip lock bag... Its what I do here... gives you the added benefit of insurance if you ever have trouble with a BBS hatch.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Thanks guys, both methods will work for me.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Madhan

Dear All

Please suggest if the below combination food is good for Discus(Red passion,Golden Checkerboard,Turquoise Galaxy,Blue Diamond), Rainbows, Barbs, Ramrezi , tetras , platies and glass cat fishes ?:
    Hikari Vibra Bites 250 gms
    Tetrabits 93 gms

Thanks
    Madhan

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Madhan

Can i feed adult home mosquitoes for my discus fishes?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12