AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: My "first-half" fishroom, done!

Registered Member

Default Re: My "first-half" fishroom, done!

Nice discus.lots of babies,I wish i had room for that many fish.

Sean

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Kenny's Discus's Avatar

Thank you Ronrca, Darkdiscus, Milkscus, Sean13 and everyone else - and Yes Sir Ron, I will go into detail about my daily WC rountine, filling, draining, automation, etc... maybe later on tonight.(hey gotta make dinner for the family first, right? :-) ) I will take some more pics of the equipment tonight/tomo and describe them in more details.

Hey Ron, since I have quite a lot of babies at this time, if I happen to see any "heartshaped discus" I will personally deliver them to you? :-0

Take good care pals. See you guys in a bit, Kenny.
    Last edited by Kenny's Discus; 11-15-2005 at 07:22 AM.

I was curious about the 3 open pipes at the bottom with ball valves facing up. Looks like that may be what you use to syphon and drain with?

I couldnt see any drains in the tank and what looks to be just filler pipes to each.

So are you draining each manually and then fill back all at once?

Yes I didn't create any drilled holes in the tanks since I want to be able to siphon the fish waste out manually to the drain pipes - because most of the time the fish waste are scattered everywhere and it'll be difficult to get them (waste) all using an automatic setup.

The ball-valves on the drain pipes are not really necessary, but in case if I have to flush the pipes in the future, they'lll prevent water from flowing backwards and spilling onto the floor.

I am sure others will have a more "modern/advanced" setup and I am still learning more everyday as I work on the rest of my fishroom.

Kenny

I certainly dont know much about it but couldnt you have pipes going in thru the top to use as gravity fed drains (no drilling required) and then once you syphon the debri from the bottom ......... just use the gravity fed drains to drain the remaining water?

That way once the water level reached the bottom of the pipe opening it wouldnt drain any farther. Actually you may need to connect a pump to do it that way since you would suck air once below the level of the pipe opening.

Could just shut off the valve to each as they got near the bottom tho to not interupt the draining by sucking air therefore not needing a pump.

In fact the drain pipe coming from the top could go all the way to the bottom which would allow for complete draining or any pecentage you wanted by just shutting off the valve when at the proper point.

Like i said .... im certainly not a plummer but it sounds logical to me ... lol.

Now that i think about it ........ you could probably use the same pipe for drain and fill by running another line off the main line and just turn off the drain valve when filling and the fill valve when draining.

WOW .... my head hurts now .......... lol ......... im thinking to much and i hope that made sense.
    Last edited by CAGE-RATTLER; 11-15-2005 at 01:32 AM.

It certainly could work but I believe everyone has his/her owns needs and preference. (not being antagonistic here) What I am trying to say is that first of all I didn't want this fishroom to be a "central" type of system because as many of you know, discus are quite prone to diseases from other tanks. And if I were to use the fill pipes as drain pipes as well then this would become somewhat of a "central" system (not the filtering of course).

I was once told by a LFS owner that when he was building pipes he forgot to install a backflow preventer onto the system. One day when he's done filling 1 of his top level tanks that has some heavy slime produced by some sick discus, he forgot to turn back the ball-valve switch. (maybe running out of water in the storage tank b4 the targeted tank was fully filled I guess?) Water from that tank flowed back into the storage tank and all the filling pipes. A few days later he started noticing similar "slimes" in many, if not all, of his tanks. This is one of the reasons why I didn't want to use the fill pipes as drain pipes (not because it requires a pump though) as I want them to stay as "individual" tanks. Again, it's just my preference and I have nothing against the use of any other designs. It's all good!

Thanks, Kenny
    Last edited by Kenny's Discus; 11-15-2005 at 02:08 AM.

Registered Member

Kenny,

Nice set up, do you have any Ram for sale still?

David

Hi Dave - It's been a while huh? How are you? I've just put the rams back into their individual tanks and they are breeding like crazy. If you want breeding pair(s) you could come get them, no problem friend. Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by loverboy
    It certainly could work but I believe everyone has his/her owns needs and preference. (not being antagonistic here) What I am trying to say is that first of all I didn't want this fishroom to be a "central" type of system because as many of you know, discus are quite prone to diseases from other tanks. And if I were to use the fill pipes as drain pipes as well then this would become somewhat of a "central" system (not the filtering of course).

I was once told by a LFS owner that when he was building pipes he forgot to install a backflow preventer onto the system. One day when he's done filling 1 of his top level tanks that has some heavy slime produced by some sick discus, he forgot to turn back the ball-valve switch. (maybe running out of water in the storage tank b4 the targeted tank was fully filled I guess?) Water from that tank flowed back into the storage tank and all the filling pipes. A few days later he started noticing similar "slimes" in many, if not all, of his tanks. This is one of the reasons why I didn't want to use the fill pipes as drain pipes (not because it requires a pump though) as I want them to stay as "individual" tanks. Again, it's just my preference and I have nothing against the use of any other designs. It's all good!

Thanks, Kenny

No offense taken at all and i certainly wasnt trying to tell you how to do it. I know everyone has different reasons for different types of setups.

I was just brainstorming a bit thinking of different ways of doing it for myself when the time comes.

I actually did a little drwing with the idea and i'll post it in another thread so i can get feedback for pro's and cons for that type of setup and then alter it after hearing every ones opinions.

Your opinion about not haveing a common drain is certainly a good one and definately worth considering. Thanx

Smile Re: My "first-half" fishroom, done!

None taken here as well, Cage. I thank you for your input and good luck on your future fishroom.

Kenny.

Wow very nice Kenny. Love the rams

Adrian

Thanks Adrian - yes these little rams are fun to watch. I just have 1 problem with these little guys when they are breeding - they will literally come at you "full force" if you put anything, I said again, ANYTHING into the tank! I remember once when I was doing water change and the female was guarding the eggs while the male come at the siphon hose with everything this little guy got. He almost got sucked up into the hose and he still wouldn't let go! I feel so bad that from that time on, I will either reduce the # of WCs or be very careful (don't get too close to the eggs) when they are breeding. Just wanna share this with you guys.

When they aren't breeding, I think they are actually quite peaceful . (just like discus in a way because they are all part of the cichlid family?) :-)

Thanks all,

Kenny.
    Last edited by Kenny's Discus; 11-15-2005 at 10:28 PM.

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

very nice Kenny................what is the substrate that the fish are spawing on?

Jim

A piece of brick from homedepot. Last time I checked it was 50 cents a piece? :-)

Thank you Jim.

Kenny.

Quote Originally Posted by loverboy
    Thanks Adrian - yes these little rams are fun to watch. I just have 1 problem with these little guys when they are breeding - they will literally come at you "full force" if you put anything, I said again, ANYTHING into the tank! I remember once when I was doing water change and the female was guarding the eggs while the male come at the siphon hose with everything this little guy got. He almost got sucked up into the hose and he still wouldn't let go! I feel so bad that from that time on, I will either reduce the # of WCs or be very careful (don't get too close to the eggs) when they are breeding. Just wanna share this with you guys.

When they aren't breeding, I think they are actually quite peaceful . (just like discus in a way because they are all part of the cichlid family?) :-)

Thanks all,

Kenny.
    Sounds like they are very good parents. I think rams get a bad rap for parenting skills as I think that they are great parents. Do you have any particular methods of cleaning fry tanks without sucking up the fry?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast