ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reputable asian breeder

Registered Member

Default reputable asian breeder

Hello all,

I am toying with the idea of importing a few exotic strains of fish from Asia in about 5-6 months (when I can do so financially). Can you guys point me in the direction of the most reputable breeders to deal with? Concentrating on trying to find a solid yellow and red fish, possibly some decent spotted ones as well... Who have your best dealings been with? Thanks for your help.

-John

Registered Member

Default Re: reputable asian breeder

And the point of importing them yourself is...just to get some fish for yourself? or for resale?? I think that if you're looking for some fish for yourself as breeding stock, the it would be MUCH better for you just to buy from one of the sponsors on the site. They can pretty much get anything you're looking for at almost any price range. If you want some suggestions, send me a PM for more info.

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Dkarc@Aol.com
    And the point of importing them yourself is...just to get some fish for yourself? or for resale?? I think that if you're looking for some fish for yourself as breeding stock, the it would be MUCH better for you just to buy from one of the sponsors on the site. They can pretty much get anything you're looking for at almost any price range. If you want some suggestions, send me a PM for more info.

-Ryan
    lol

Whats so Funny about the post Marc?

I think the advice Ryan gave is good...why risk the time and money importing direct when you are only looking for a few fish? There are many good sellers out there that can provide quality fish at a fair price.

If its to re-sell then thats a different matter all together. Then I would suggest re-thinking it as its not that easy to do so and make it profitable these days..my opinion.

hth, al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15
    Whats so Funny about the post Marc?

I think the advice Ryan gave is good...why risk the time and money importing direct when you are only looking for a few fish? There are many good sellers out there that can provide quality fish at a fair price.

If its to re-sell then thats a different matter all together. Then I would suggest re-thinking it as its not that easy to do so and make it profitable these days..my opinion.

hth, al
    its what Ryan says alot

lol that is

very few can make it as an importer
    to many problems

some have done ok
    but for the most part its a trend

a couple of years ago there were scores
    of guys with big dreams

its funny from where i sit
    now most of those guys are gone

even in asia
    the breeders are hurting for buisness

all these importers stopped importing
    yikes its hard times in the east

i feel the importer scene has run its course
    and the discus scene in general is trying to redifine itself

its very much a cycle
    good years slow years

people get real burnt out with discus
    they get all jazzed thinking they are going to get famous or rich etc..and
    when the bubble bursts its a long way down for these guys..yup, i have seen it time in and time out

anyway give me a call Al

i would like to speak with u
    if u would be so kind

AB

Marc I agree with you on your outlook here...much has been my experience as well.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Hi all,
    some good points here.
    To import a certain (small) quantity of Discus requires all the risk transformation (...) that a importer of a larger quantity can afford.
    Regards
    Hartmut

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishfordiscus
    Hello all,

I am toying with the idea of importing a few exotic strains of fish from Asia in about 5-6 months (when I can do so financially). Can you guys point me in the direction of the most reputable breeders to deal with? Concentrating on trying to find a solid yellow and red fish, possibly some decent spotted ones as well... Who have your best dealings been with? Thanks for your help.

-John
    I get mine from Roy of Discus Connexion, Singapore. Excellent quality discus! A few of our Simply sponsors like Cary and Gulf Coast Discus should be able to get them from him for you.

Here is his website: http://www.discusconnexion.com/aboutus.htm

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishfordiscus
    Hello all,

-John

It does not appear that this poster is looking to get rich or famous; he just wants to get some nice discus that are different from what is usually available. Ryan's advice is sound.

Mike
    Mike Witek
    Napa CA

Quote Originally Posted by Bainbridge Island Mike
    It does not appear that this poster is looking to get rich or famous; he just wants to get some nice discus that are different from what is usually available. Ryan's advice is sound.

Mike
    the really funny thing about it is this

most of the importers websites look like carbon copies of each other..some even show the same pic just call it a different name

its really funny like in lol

many buy from the same guy or buy from 2 or 3 of the same guys
    so they all wind up haveing the same fish in the end anyway

its a hoot if u ask me

in the old days when everyone was basically a little breeder
    fish could be indentified as such and such because each breeder
    would select a little differently . so if theywere long lived breeders after a number of years their fish would have very strong
    identifiers

now with the advent of internet,any breeder can see what his competitor is doing , and so he says i must do the same

so a red melon is simply a red redmelom every breeder
    selects from his RM pairs
    for the fish everyone exactly wants..uniformity now is the big deal
    very competitive market

but even with the breeders in the world keeping this all in mind they can easily see other breeders fish simply with a click of the mouse
    there still is a number of personel traits one can see if they understand COMMERCIAL DISCUS BUISNESS

yes its very funny alrite when u keep an open mind..

u go through life laughing your teeth of

AB

The same can be said of most breeder's sites. Some breeders are just importers trying to differentiate themselves by calling themselves breeders. Do your homework people. There was a thread awhile back on DPH (and here maybe) about a guy named Davis who bought a bunch of fish from Kitti and the trials he went through to get satisfaction. Not worth it in my opinion.

That's interesting,
    I thought that most breeders (especially here) were pretty honest people and conducted good business practices. Besides, it sounds like that was one bad instance, and i am sure there are others, but for the most part i think most are doing honest business. (again, that is here, for this site)
    Candy

I wasn't suggesting anyone was dishonest nor was I pointing fingers at any breeders on this forum. But to be deemed a Discus breeder all a person has to do is breed Discus. That doesn't mean the fish that are being sold necessarily came from that person's pairs. It's not uncommon at all for breeders to supplement their stock with imported fish.

Quote Originally Posted by candyl70
    That's interesting,
    I thought that most breeders (especially here) were pretty honest people and conducted good business practices. Besides, it sounds like that was one bad instance, and i am sure there are others, but for the most part i think most are doing honest business. (again, that is here, for this site)
    Im not going to go into any details whatsoever and what Im going to say in anyway is not intended to bash anyone or directed at anyone especially on this site. There's my disclaimer.

Candy, Im new to the discus area. Very new however one thing I learned very quickly over the years at simplydiscus and other forums that is not the case as you are refering to. I wish it were that easy however politics run very deep. As with anything, as Dave mentioned, do your homework first, ask questions first rather than after. There are some excellant breeders that really care about discus and then there are those that put money first. This is not specific to discus, this can be applied to any business. Just a word of advice on what I have seen. I think that AB put it into perspective that its a competitive business!
    Last edited by ronrca; 11-16-2005 at 07:04 PM.
    In discus limbo atm! So much to do and so little time!

Ron,
    I am not going to argue about whether or not people on this site are honest or not. The fact is that i have not bought discus from any breeders, importers, or whoever it is that does business on this forum. I am giving the benefit of a doubt to many who are doing business here. Of course i take what most say here (and elsewhere) with a grain of salt. Remember that i started out buying all my fish, equipment from lfs!! You can always count on them to do business first, and honesty last. Whatever it takes to make a few bucks. But i have seen quite a few breeders here that list whether certain strains are homegrown or are imported. There isn't a way to really find out if that is the truth is there? You can't exactly do a lot of 'homework' as far as that is concerned other than reading customer reviews or finding out from others who have bought the fish. Anyhow i respect what you are trying to say, and i thank you.

Candy
    Candy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast