AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Help]How to distinguish the male discus from female?

Default Re: [Help]How to distinguish the male discus from female?

Ways' to Tell Male and Female Discus Appart:

The female Discus will always go to the bathroom in groups...no one knows why.

The male Discus is the one hanging around the sponge filter looking for dates.

After mating, the male Discus smokes a cigarette then falls asleep.

Just like with humans, the male Discus will die before the female just to get away from all the nagging....

OK, I think I have to into hiding now...
    Last edited by JMArtist; 11-18-2005 at 08:38 PM.
    "Beep-Beep"

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CAGE-RATTLER
    maybe everyone can post some pics of discus that they are sure what sex they are so we can compare to help all us newbs to better guess sex?

very good idea, Gage!! That would help me....I think I am going to get that 55gal....oh *******....

will it ever end?

Marie~

Quote Originally Posted by JMArtist

Just like with humans, the male Discus will die before the female just to get away from all the nagging....

( you will be okay, JM, i promise)

Marie~

Of course, being like all animals, mammals, humans, etc... doesn't always guarantee that the "said" two are going to hit it off. I think fish can be fickle also with a mate?

Barb

Quote Originally Posted by JMArtist

hmmm.....hopefully he is still in hiding....

Forever Friends

Mike, can you post a side view pic of them with their pelvic fins down. I'll try to get some more pics now, went to take some the other day and had dead batteries in my camera.

Barb
    Last edited by Barb Newell; 11-19-2005 at 03:44 PM.
    Feb 14, 1962- Dec 5, 2007

Barb was a friend to us all and we will all miss her dearly....Rest in Peace .

Registered Member

Thanks everyone. Barb, I will try to take some CLEAR pics tomorrow. It's hard with low tank light and quickly moving discus. Today I sat in front of the tank and tried to figure out the slope of their fins but in vain. The only thing I noticed their pelvic fin are quite similiar perhaps they are of the same sex. They start to eat brine shrimps now and look normal today. I guess they just need some time to fit in. I put them in the 1.5x1.5x1.5 tank and next to them are three never grown discus (1.5~2 inches, I bought them one year ago). Oh yes, by the way, why are some discus just won't grow? I feed them everyday once or twice but they just WON'T grow. I've heard that there are few discus of the same hatch just won't grow no matter how you raise them. Is it true?

Have a nice day, everyone !

Forever Friends

Hi, it's not the slop of their pelvic fins, it's the slope of their body where their tubes are -- just behind the pelvic fins.

Barb

Real Name
    Mike

Discus growth depends on tank size, diet (different foods) and these guys require food sometimes up to 5X a day. They are grazers (all the time snacking). If you are feeding once or twice a day, they may just need to be fed more often. They are also pack animals. I know for a fact now that they need numerous freinds to thrive and grow. At least a group of six or more unless they are a pair. Water changing routine and parameters also affect growth. They love clean, fresh 85-86 degree water at ph 6.5 - 7.5. Although, sometimes you will get a runt, but all in one bunch? I think its something YOU may have overlooked. Stress affects growth and they get stressed when their environment is less than satisfactory (nites, nates, ammo,). Mike

Registered Member

Barb:

In this album, there are some pictures I took today. Thanks for your help! I really need an expert to identify for me.

I just can't take the picture right; the reflection of the window light just too strong.

Mike:

The tank only contains 3 discus perhaps that's why they never grow. Should I put this tiny three to the 4 feet tank with other large discus? I once did but the larger ones chased them all the time. Now I need the tank to try pairing up~~~~~~~~What should I do. I also do not want to hurt these tiny three. Can you give me some advise . Thanks!
    Last edited by mikechen; 11-21-2005 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikechen
    Barb:

In this album, there are some pictures I took today. Thanks for your help! I really need an expert to identify for me.

Mike:

The tank only contains 3 discus perhaps that's why they never grow.

Mike~

Those are really colorful discus! Are they all yours? I have a Cobolt Blue and his colors are finally coming out! Yours look so nice!!!

Marie

Registered Member

Mike~

Those are really colorful discus! Are they all yours? I have a Cobolt Blue and his colors are finally coming out! Yours look so nice!!!
    Marie:

Thanks! Yes, they all are mine. I like the blue color discus the most. I really like the early cobolt blue with bright red eyes. I can imagine the beautiful color of your cobolt discus. Do you mind sharing the pictures with us?
    Last edited by mikechen; 11-21-2005 at 02:38 PM.

Forever Friends

Hi Mike, I can't see the pics for some reason. Can you email them to me? bnewell@cogeco.ca

Yes I can see them now!! I guess I wasn't being patient and didn't let it load.

I really need an expert to identify for me.
    I am by no means an expert, but can take a guess based on what I've seen with my fish.

THEY'RE BEAUTIFUL FISH by the way!

Barb
    Last edited by Barb Newell; 11-21-2005 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikechen
    Marie:

Thanks! Yes, they all are mine. I like the blue color discus the most. I really like the early cobolt blue with bright red eyes. I can imagine the beautiful color of your cobolt discus. Do you mind sharing with us?

Hey Mike!

I am looking at my Blue Cobolt now in fact! It is funny you mentioned the eyes, cuz just this morning I was trippin on how big and red the eyes were.. or had gotten...or had always been? LOL! I have pictures in the photo gallery that i posted recently...But he looks green, kinda...i take horrible pics! And he is soooo cool too...all of them are, actually. I got them from Cary at GLd...back in september....And i just bought a 55gal tank this past weekend....Does it ever end?? im thinking no! I got them at 3 months, 2" and now they are huge, Mike! I am worried that the tank they are in are too small...sooooo......bought bigger....And my friend and I are going to Cliff's in the city ( san francisco) on Dec 3, for some tiny ones!!!

Yours are sooooooo blue!! how old are they? I can not wait... but you take great pics!

Marie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast