AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 48" hood

Default 48" hood

Hey all,
    I just got a 55 gal. and it doesn't have a hood. If anyone is interested in selling one, or knows where i can get one at a decent price, please pm me. Thanks!!

Candy!
    Candy

Default Re: 48" hood

Hey, welcome to the bigger tank club! Are your fish in there yet? It will feel like the Taj Mahal going bigger. Take some pics for sure. Before with old tank and after in new tank.

Barb (traco)

Registered Member

Of course, you've checked all the online stores to see what they go for? BigAlsOnline.com, DrsFosterSmith.com, PetSolutions.com, ThatPetPlace.com, FuturePet.com? Be sure to add in shipping costs to compare.

Barb,
    I don't know if i will put these fish in with my new ones (when i get them) I don't want them to pass any diseases etc. If they get better and stay that way i might. My 36 will used as a hospital, QT, breeding tank when the other one is up and running.

It seems like they are sooo expensive for the hood. That is why i am interested in getting a used one. I may just get the strip light, and have a glass lid made for the tank. It is prolly cheaper that way. Anyone ever try that or have any experiences doing that??

Candy

p.s. thanks for the links, i will go and check those out.
    Candy

Yes, I am pretty freaked about introducing anything to my tank (you can understand as I did introduce something to my discus tank when putting the plecos back in )

So, whatcha getting for your new tank eventually? And how many?

For lighting, what about like the lighting that goes under the kitchen cabinets? But if it's a display tank, probably not. How handy are you or your other - you can build a nice cabinet to house your lighting?

It's getting close to Christmas, maybe the stores will start having sales? Or what about price matching between competitors? Something to think about.

Oooo, let's all help Candy pick her new fish!!

Barb (traco)

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

If you want to go the cheap route on 55 go to your local hardware store that sells thin glass.
    Buy 12" x 24" strip.
    Have them cut it in half. Buy strip light.
    You done.
    Been doing it this way for a while.

Home Depot no longer sells that type of glass nor cuts glass anymore so you need to find local store.

Also you can place ad on Craigslist for strip lights.

I find this set up much eaiser to clean my tank.

If you have nice fish the heck with the rest.
    The fish is what will be the center of attention.
    http://www.atthegateministries.org/index.html

Thanks for the advice Greg, and thanks Barb, its a great suggestion about building a stand, i will go and check it out. I did go to a glass shop once to have a shelf repaired on my tank, when i bought it, it was broken, that is part of why i got such a good deal in the first place. I will quote them for the glass.

I am pretty handy around the house, and i was actually thinking that i could make a stand myself for pretty cheap. Also my boyfriend has worked as a maintance man for a apt. complex before, so he is pretty handy as well. Thanks for the great advice everyone.

As for my fish... i am really leaning towards Cliff ( he is really close to where i live, about 30 min. i really want to see his hatchery, i hear that it is fantastic!!) and Barb's fish. They both have an excellent reputation as well as quality fish. I am thinking 6 or 7. What do ya think? I am not sure on the specific strain, i like the OG's and whatever else they may have that catches my eye!

Let me k now if you guys here of any strip lights!!

Candy
    Last edited by candyl70; 11-17-2005 at 11:44 PM.
    Candy

Hey Candy! I am using a 48 in. shop light from Lowes on my big tank. It sits nicely on the glass top. Have to get the kind that has the metal "wings" on the sides, holds the light off the glass a bit. It holds 2 bulbs, bought the daylight GEs.

Forgot to say, it was like $20 or so.

Awsome new!! Do you have a link or a pic so i can see what it looks like? I have been checking at home depot and yard birds but don't know if the light can sit on the glass or not. Thanks so much for the info!!

Candy
    Candy

Maybe something like this will work for you.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...5SS&lpage=none

You could build a hood and mount it inside.

Or actually if you build a hood you could use all different types of light fixtures.

I thought about building one for mine and different lights inside with seperate switches. That way i could have like a nightlight in there for evening viewing of the nocturnal fish too.

By the way ....... would a blacklight work for nocturnal fish viewing?

I also thought about putting a dimmer switch on my existing light but not sure if that will work with florescents.

Thnks for the link Cage. Do you think that is something that can sit on the glass? I can't tell from the pic if it has somesort of base so that the bulbs aren't sitting on the glass. You know what i mean? I think if i can find something like that light, and have the glass cut for the rest of the tank i can have it up and running alot sooner. I am also going to use cinder block for the stand and throw some fabric over it. Our next door neighbor is an iron worker, and when i asked him if he thought the weight would be ok he said yes, that it is about that heavy for a stand too. Thanks to everyone for all the awsome advice. This is a much cheaper way to go rather than buying everything from a lfs!!

Candy

p.s. i think a black light might work. When we turn our moonlight on the other 50gal it illuminates what pieces of lint and such just like a bl would.
    Candy

actually the one i posted doesnt have the wings like wolfbane was talking about and that may be better if its sitting right on the glass. (the wings would keep the bulbs off the glass)

They also have others that have a plastic cover over them that could also work.

Here is the type with the wings that will raise the bulbs off the glass.

Its like 12 inches wide tho.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...48-shop_lights

Which one is it Cage? There are a bunch and i don 't see the measurements (12in part) It's ok if its kinda wide, the glass that i cut would be that much cheaper
    Candy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast