ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bioballs

Default Bioballs

Hey guys I need a leed finding bioballs in the Toronto area. Been to the wholesaler and he doesn't have the type I prefer. I am looking for the blue 1 inch ones that have all the rays on them. Also does anyone have a number for the new people that own the rights to Serra products in Canada. No wonder they can't sell here no one can find a way to contact them

Brent

Default Re: Bioballs

Brent,
    talk to bill egan...Instant message billeagan here for info on Sera, I think he's selling it the USA. maybe he has the info you need.

for bioballs... maybe try aquaticecosystems.com They are USA , but have just about everything.

Hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Thankyou very much Al. I just emailed Bill Egan and had a look at that site. Great site. I was looking for a bigger a pump too.

Brent

Brent, how about the nylon pot scrubbers or other inexpensive medians instead of bioballs. Much cheaper than bioballs. Just a thought!

http://www.wernersponds.com/biofiltermedia.htm
    In discus limbo atm! So much to do and so little time!

Quote Originally Posted by ronrca
    Brent, how about the nylon pot scrubbers or other inexpensive medians instead of bioballs. Much cheaper than bioballs. Just a thought!

http://www.wernersponds.com/biofiltermedia.htm
    Thank you for the suggestion about the scrubbers. Been there done that I prefabricate Central Systems And I am pretty particular about what I put in them. I use Serra Siperax (Cindered Glass) as my anaerobic media and like to use plastic self cleaning bioballs in my towers. I found the scrub pads get pretty dirty in the long haul. This project is for a second system I am putting in my hatchery in an expansion I am doing. The towers I make hold about 40 gallons of bio material, are vented for reverse air stripping and ribbed to keep the water in the media.

I have used just about evrythingfrom Hair curlers to lava rock. The truth is they all work. Some are just abit more efficient than others.

Brent

Wow! Good to know. Id love to see some of your systems and how your putting them together. I think it would be great info for the diy section as well. I make all my own filters because I can customize them to my racks and Im always looking for ideas and ways to improve.

Thanks

I used the bio-barrels many years ago in my 180gal reef tank and, of course, they worked great. In the end I pulled the bio-filter off completely and the tank was much better for it. Now I'd like to try the potscrubbers on my discus tanks but the only places I know to get them specialize in bio-filter media so, I'd guess, they are marked up. They are definitly more than the $5.00 sq/ft noted in the link above. So are the ones in grocery stores. Does anyone know where to get them in bulk at the lwer price?
    Thanx,

Kacey

Hey guys thanks. As for seeing my systems I have been laying low until my hatchery is complete. I was one of the pioneers 19 years ago in central here in North America. I Experimented with everything from Ozone to U.V. to Central heating in centrals. I love doing discus but the politics drove me away from the hobby before. I really like this site because I hve noticed allot of genuine people here. Once the Hatchery is done you guys will be the first to see the picks and more than welcome to see what I do. I am a little different because I love using exchange resins. Anyways as I said I would love to stay just low key and enjoy all you guys and all the enthusiasm here

Brent McDonald

I just went to ebay and did a search under "bio-balls." Had 23 auctions come up. All way cheaper than I have ever seen them at stores. Jeez, I wish I had thought of this before I went out last week and bought 4 gallons at $19 US each at my LFS.

At least you can save some money. Go to ebay.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by discusdave
    I just went to ebay and did a search under "bio-balls." Had 23 auctions come up. All way cheaper than I have ever seen them at stores. Jeez, I wish I had thought of this before I went out last week and bought 4 gallons at $19 US each at my LFS.

At least you can save some money. Go to ebay.

Dave
    All right Dave never thought! great! Thanks

Brent

Quote Originally Posted by Resinman
    Hey guys thanks. As for seeing my systems I have been laying low until my hatchery is complete. I was one of the pioneers 19 years ago in central here in North America. I Experimented with everything from Ozone to U.V. to Central heating in centrals. I love doing discus but the politics drove me away from the hobby before. I really like this site because I hve noticed allot of genuine people here. Once the Hatchery is done you guys will be the first to see the picks and more than welcome to see what I do. I am a little different because I love using exchange resins. Anyways as I said I would love to stay just low key and enjoy all you guys and all the enthusiasm here

Brent McDonald
    When do you expect your hatchery to be complete? I can hardly wait! Please post pics and I will make sure I add it to the fishroom link center under the diy section.

Quote Originally Posted by ronrca
    When do you expect your hatchery to be complete? I can hardly wait! Please post pics and I will make sure I add it to the fishroom link center under the diy section.
    Well like allot of you here are a few pics of my filter while I am still adding tanks. This is a prefilter box that preceeds the main filter. I find it easy to access and remove the organics daily

Quote Originally Posted by Resinman
    Well like allot of you here are a few pics of my filter while I am still adding tanks. This is a prefilter box that preceeds the main filter. I find it easy to access and remove the organics daily
    Pre-filter box
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Resinman; 11-23-2005 at 03:39 PM.

main filter section with Polyester Filter pads and Bio-media. The system is wrapped in insulation to help control heat loss.
    Last edited by Resinman; 11-23-2005 at 03:36 PM.

Bio-Tower.... 5.5 ft... ribbed...sprinkler ... reverse air flow to strip amonia..
    Sorry it isn't that clear but I have a Grundfos 3 speed pump. 3500 gallons an hour running the system
    Last edited by Resinman; 11-23-2005 at 03:33 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast