ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shrimp With Discus

Default Re: Shrimp With Discus

I would assume the same qt policy as I will be buying a couple fo shrimp this weekend. thanks Colbalt.

Thanks Chris for the reply. Will do!

Registered Member

i had small shrimp... they all got eaten. My large amanos survived.

What about the blue shrimp or blue lobster I forget but he was the color of a blue dimonds and my stone. i was thinking about buying it. i said not yeah ask people on plenty?

Registered Member

After reading at this site and others, plus I need to order plants anyway from a place that also sold shrimp, and the shipping costs wouldn't be much different, I ordered some cherry shrimp and some amano shrimp to try with my discus. I put them in with some 2.5 inch Juvi culls to quarantine them, and to see how they would do with discus. The Juvis slowly ate them all. These were cherries and amanos bigger than 1 inch, so I hoped they'd have a chance. They didn't. This was in a very heavily planted tank with lots of cover. They ate tons of algae while they lasted, but the discus picked them off whenever they exposed themselves.

I can't imagine them lasting long in with the adults. Maybe if I had a breeding colony of cherries, I'd try it again (amanos don't breed in fresh water).

Don't do the blue lobster with fish you want to keep. They will attack fish.

I have some amano shrimps in my planted tank with my 3~4 inch discus. My discus don't even look at them. Although my shrimps are pretty big, about 1.5 inch.

i got a ghost shrimp with the discus.. He's doin just great , they are doin great...

The only problem is that shrimps cannot tolerate meds used for discus, so if you got to treat the fish, move the shrimp and make sure you filter with carbon before moving them back...

jas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12