Registered Member
    Real Name
    Scott

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

:-) thanks Frank

Registered Member

Hi everyone
    I’ve kept tropical fish for many years,I’ve always loved the look of discus but never made the ‘plunge’.
    I’ve done loads of reading/researching on them, I’ve joined this forum before buying anything so hopefully I won’t make any mistakes!

Real Name
    Joseph Paul Heckel

My name is Joseph, I have been into discus awhile now. The last discus show I attended was in Ft. Worth area in 2006? Discus Hans was at the show, was great to meet many of you. I have been overseas unsuccessfully raising discus in Korea from 2008-2019. I am finally home and setting up a few (6) 55 gallon tanks for discus. I would like to find someone raising some blue based snakeskin discus. I was excited to see there are people in the group working with wild hybrids including snakeskin. I would love to find someone selling 1-2" snakeskin babies that I can raise. I am also in search for some blue based scorpion in the same size. Basic setups on wrought iron stands with aquaclear 50 and 500watt titanium heaters. I've used DIY CO2 systems in the past to grown plants and regulate the PH of the water. I think I will be going that route again, at least in the grow out stage. Ultimately, any projects folks are working on in the blue version that would like me to raise a couple batches to further a line with known genetics would be something fun to get involved in as well. I've lurked mostly in the group since 2004, I am averaging about 5 posts a year! I will be more active going forward as I try to fire up some discus.
    Joseph.Paul.Heckel@gmail.com
    www.linkedin.com/in/joeheckel
    479-318-7997

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David Skidmore

David Skidmore here.
    I live in Indianapolis, and have (currently) 3 tanks. Africans (150g) South Americans (90 gal). We moved here in September and I bought a 125 on facebook marketplace ad put it in the basement to piggy back my tanks to the new house. Of course I couldn't leave it empty so I bought 9 small discus and have managed not to kill them. House is on a well, and we have very hard water. I've been using straight R/) but started mixing in some tap, aging, and using that. I have a massive basement and I really want to set up some bb tanks with larger fish soon. I'm trying to learn the basics beforehand though. Really want a big fat breeder pair of snakeskins or turquoise, but before I shuck out that money I want to make sure my fish keeping is on point.
    I raise Eclectus parrots, keep pheasants, and chickens as well. Husband is pretty cool with the animals, although I do get the side eye once in a while. I'm a relator, and own/operate a commercial cleaning company. I'm an old school yahoo groups member for many avicultural groups, and this format is familiar-ish. it's a big site. O've been trying to read as much as I can. Thanks!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Hello Everyone,
    After a couple of years on here I thought I would say Hi. I have been thinking about starting a discus tank for sometime. My background in fish started in the mid sixties.We had a tank or two in the house when I was young and I sold some mollie babies to a friend. My parents started selling fish a year or two later out of our house. My parents finally built a detached garage and later added on to it. We were known as Portage Aquatics and were located in Portage Indiana. It was a fish store only. Dad started getting in discus and was very successful in keeping them by 1960’s standards. We had one of the first all glass aquariums, it was a 62 gallon tank that had a glass divider between the sides but the divider had 4 holes drilled in it one high on low and the other two between sort of diamond shaped. We had one discus that would turn itself upside down and swim through a hole. I left the store in 1972 and joined the Marines and later married and had a few tanks through the years but never had discus. In about 2003 I started into reef tanks. That ended about 3 years ago. I have a brand new 220 drilled for a reef tank that has never been set up. It is set to be a peninsula tank. I also has a 55, a couple of 40 breeders and a few smaller tanks none are set up.
    I would really like to have a planted tank and also a discus tank so I guess there are a ton of questions to ask.
    John

Real Name
    Steve

Hi John,
    Nice to hear from you. If you've been lurking and reading for a while, then you probably know there are issues to be considered with planted discus tanks. Their ability to house pathogens and collect large amounts organics that can foul the water in particular. Ask away and hopefully folks here will help you be successful.

Wow, you have quite a history in fish. If you want a planted tank buy adult fish and change most of the water every day. It's very hard to keep the water clean enough for Discus in a planted tank. If you want to grow out juvies go BB. BTW, it sounds line you have an itch to breed your own for sale in your own store I doubt that you will make any money, even selling them retail, to make money on them. You will still have a lot of fun in the process, though.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

I have seen a few tanks on here with some gravel or sand some driftwood and just a few plants attached to the driftwood. I really don’t have the desire to breed them.
    I would like to have a few other fish in the tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris

Hello all,

I'm new to using forums, though ive parused them for many years. My names Chris and I'm origionally from Connecticut. I have been keeping fish since my dad got me a 20g when I was eight years old. I've kept everything from Flowerhorn, to Central, South and African Cichlids. I've kept various community fish *really enjoyed 60 tiger barbs in a 75g*. The most tanks ive kept at one time is five though, currently, I have one 2.5g Betta set up due to space constraints. I've never kept Discus as much as i have wanted to. Within the next few months ill be setting up a 125g with 55g sump Discus set up. I have wanted discus for YEARS but always shied away for one reason or another. Needless to say, I'm like a child waiting to open my birthday gifts. My girlfriend is quite alright with me keeping fish as long as I don't "get crazy with it" so i agreed to hav eno more than three tanks . I speak with her often about fish keeping as she has never even had a fair fish. She is getting excited now as well. SUCCESS!!!!!

I look forward to learning from all of your failures and successes. In advance, thank you all for your posts and for the information you all have disseminated.

Respectfully,
    Chris

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Nice to meet you Chris! Keep posted on your progress mate. Many willing and helpful peeps here to guide you along your way! Welcome to the SD crew

Registered Member ericthemantis's Avatar
    Real Name
    Eric H

Hi all! The name is Eric. glad to join the community.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Breaux

Greetings. My name is Breaux (pronounced Brō) and very excited to get back into the discus community after 20 years. I’m here because of Gabe Posada and his drive in expanding our community. I purchased my first Discus through him at Jack’s. With the advent of the internet and YouTube, we all can become successful Discus hobbyists... amazing. I still have my original 90 gallon discus tank and look forward to setting it up again and plan to create a secret (Segreto) Discus room in my home. I will share my adventure on a YouTube channel called Segreto Discus Adventure. Hope to see you around and appreciate all those responsible for this forum. Ciao

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Segreto Discus View Post
    Greetings. My name is Breaux (pronounced Brō) and very excited to get back into the discus community after 20 years. I’m here because of Gabe Posada and his drive in expanding our community. I purchased my first Discus through him at Jack’s. With the advent of the internet and YouTube, we all can become successful Discus hobbyists... amazing. I still have my original 90 gallon discus tank and look forward to setting it up again and plan to create a secret (Segreto) Discus room in my home. I will share my adventure on a YouTube channel called Segreto Discus Adventure. Hope to see you around and appreciate all those responsible for this forum. Ciao
    Hey Breaux ! Good to have another local on the forum . I met Larry who is in Austerlitz and maybe you in EGB some day …
    Welcome to the forum .Are you planning on Jacks fish again ? Make sure you post your videos here ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kaya Franklin

ALOHA everyone, im Mario i keep and breed Discus for hobby and i started over 30 years ago, currently im breeding in Berlin opposed to Hawaii where i started, since im fairly new to Berlin Ive yet to find Discus or other Aquarium Hobby club where id like to show my Discus
    I started my online Discus Shop a few months ago and Ive Never had so much fun raising fish, Im looking for other Discus people here in Germany to trade fish with my site is www.franklydiscus.com or .de please visit my site and have look at my project and if zour in Berlin stop by for a visit....

Registered Member

Dave here, in Tucson, AZ.

I've kept aquariums since the early 90's, about 50% fresh water and 50% salt water with those being reef tanks. For me my sweet spot seems to be 125-135 gallon tanks, although I have had and do have some smaller, but never bigger yet. I've had a breeding pair of Green Severum, I've bred and raised German Blue Rams. I currently have a pair of Angelfish that breed like rabbits, lol, I've had to set up another tank to house the juveniles as the local Mom & Pops are still hunkered down from the Covid. I've kept Africans, as well as long ago had a 135 with some very beautiful fancy Goldfish.

My wife and I have decided recently that we're going to get out of salt water, and we want to change the 125 in the dining room to Discus. The more I read, and learn, the more I am sure that these fish may require me to up my aquarium keeping game a bit, or at least modify a few of the rules and habits that I keep. I'll try to search out answers before I post questions, but I think it's inevitable that I will be asking some redundant questions.

I am a Journeyman Tool & Diemaker by trade, for the last 10 years I've managed a machine shop. Married, 4 kids all grown up and on their own. Other hobbies include cycling, mountain as well as road, I run a bit, and have a sleeper all hot rodded out 84 Mustang convertible, we like to camp and take long weekend riding get aways. Oh, and a big 'ol fuzzy Himalayan cat, my baby.

Page 88 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast