ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 79 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1511

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Hi Lynn - welcome to Simply Discus - hope you enjoy the Forum.

And many thanks for your kind words about my Beginners Guide - my intent in writing it was simply to help newcomers to discus avoid the many pitfalls which can be experienced when starting out with discus without following a few simple rules for keeping them successfully..... and paying for it by losing a lot of invested $$$ !

To refresh your memory, here are those few simple 'rules':

D-I-S-C-U-S - 6 CARDINAL RULES FOR NEWBIES TO FOLLOW

First I'd just like to mention once again that discus are hardier than many people think, and are not difficult to keep, so long as one is prepared to accept and adhere to a few key practices that will provide the best chances of success with discus.

This listing is recorded more or less in order of importance:

1) - D - Do your homework well before delving into discus. Read and research all you can beforehand. Googling will certainly help, as well as spending a good deal of time reading the posts and threads on the simplydiscus.com forum, particularly the stickies in the 'Discus Basics for Beginners' section, which will provide you with much of the material you need to digest.

2) - I - Investigate and learn of the best sources to get your discus stock. Find those breeders &/or importers that are long time, well-experienced, responsible, reputable, and known to supply high quality, healthy, and well-shaped discus. Buy your discus from one of these sources in order to insure that you get off on the best footing possible.
    This is the single, most important factor in succeeding with discus.
    The simplydiscus.com forum has a sponsors section which lists a good number of high quality discus suppliers in North America. Check it out.

3) - S - Set up and plan to follow a strict regular routine of fresh water changes, tank wipe-downs and cleansing, vacuuming of wastes, and regular filter and media cleaning, changes, replacements, and maintenance. Be fully prepared for the kind of commitment it takes to produce and maintain the highest water quality and conditions that you can.

4) - C - Carefully consider the type of tank set up you start with. Make sure the tank size is ample enough to start with 5 or 6 discus. Don't be tempted to begin with a tank of less than 55 or 60 gallons, and don't try to justify going smaller by just getting 1, 2, 3, or 4 discus for cost or other reasons.
    Wait till you have sufficient resources to get a proper-sized tank, and the suitable size and number of fish to insure continuing good health and harmonious discus sociability.
    Do not start with small, undersized, very juvenile fish which have not yet developed a more mature immune system, are more demanding to raise properly, and much more prone to health problems and other issues. Get fish of at least 3.0" in size, preferably larger.

5) - U - Undertake to start off with a bare bottom tank, unless you're getting fully adult fish and have previous good experience with fish-keeping generally, and maintaining a planted tank in particular. If you must have some decor, limit yourself to a very thin sand substrate layer, and perhaps a piece of driftwood with just a couple of small plants attached, or one or two potted plants.
    Once you gain several months' of experience getting to know your discus' traits & behavior, and your discus get larger, then you may proceed to an aqua-scaped environment, to possibly include some other species of compatible discus tank-mates. Feed a varied diet, several times a day, and learn which foods will achieve a nutritious diet, by researching.

6) - S - Simplify. Keep things as simple as you can to start. Don't complicate your start with discus, at least at first, by placing them in a heavily planted environment, using CO2 and a strict fertilization regime. Make sure your tank is fully cycled before adding the fish, and don't be tempted to alter or change the pH of your water, or modify your water conditions and parameters by using chemicals of any kind. No need to use RO water or adopt any other procedures that would tend to complicate what should be a simple start to your discus launch. If you plan on eventually having a community tank set-up, carefully research the species of other fish you'd like to keep with the discus, to insure they are able to withstand the higher discus temp of at least 82 F, and that they are fully compatible with discus.
    And do a complete and proper quarantine before adding any such tank-mates to your discus tank.

Follow these 'rules', and there's little doubt you will succeed with discus !

Registered Member

Thank you Paul!

Real Name
    Shari

Hello All,
    I’m Shari ....moved to Utah a couple of years ago from Kauai,HI with my other half Chris and our two Salukis. We moved here because of his parents they’re older and not in good health and the other reason was it’s so very expensive to live there and well...the old saying is “The price you pay for paradise”! Is a understatement!
    Plus,if you want to import aquarium fishes you have to have a import certificate....
    Speaking of aquariums.....
    I had lots of them in my bedroom,living room everywhere! I kept fresh water tropicals...you’d think with all the most beautiful reef fish I’d have those....mmmmmm no. My favorite is the Moorish Idol...just as sensitive or more so than Discus.
    I’d rather see them snorkeling....and going to the beach was what you do on days off anyway.
    I had Angelfish,guppies,Bettas,African cichlids and lastly Discus that I bought from Al Johnson....btw
    What ever happened to him?

So with moving to Utah.... the cost of living is cheaper. In the two years of living here we bought a home. You couldn’t do that in Hawaii without being well off...
    We are comfortable in our new home and now are wanting to get back into aquarium keeping again...slowly.
    I want to do right by my fish...... set up a big tank 125 gallon aquarium I saw on a local Classifieds KSL. I thought it was a 150 but after measuring it.....it’s a 125. Still a big tank!
    I’m looking for a secondary tank 60 gallon as a quarantine and possibly 45 gallon also..
    I do have a 55 gallon water storage tank we picked up for cheap $15
    I get asked how’s the change coming from tropical perfect weather for cold as heck in winter to baking hot summers here in Utah? I’m still trying to get used to driving in snow...trying to open my doors on my car when there iced Shut..makes me want to go back. LOLOLO
    Driving a car him snowy,slippery conditions is like riding a toboggan with wheels. Lol

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adam

Hi everyone, Adam here. I've kept fish at various times before in my life, just getting back to the hobby now at 46. Right now we have a community tank which is slowly being transitioned to an angelfish tank. When I was setting up the tank my husband asked for Angelfish. I knew they needed some TLC and prepped him, and he fell in love with the species and took over my community tank!

As a tradeoff we will be getting a second tank for me to populate how I want. After keeping many different types of freshwater tropical tanks and community tanks over the years, I'm going to take the plunge and go for a discus tank.

I'm still in the "D - Do your research" step of things and just joined these boards as a good first step. It's going to be a good six months most likely before we start shopping for tank setups, so I'll be using this time to research and read, join forums, and research some more.

My current tank specs follow:

75 gallon US/280 Liter tank, 48" wide x 18" deep x 22" tall
    Freshwater community planted tank

Hardware:
    6.4 pH, 5.5 GH, 7.0KH water
    2x Fluval 306 Canister filters, approximately 8x complete water filtration per hour
    1 Finnex 24/7 main LED light
    1 supplemental Finnex LED light
    No CO2 system - high light, low tech
    Fluorite and Aquasolum mixture for substrate

Fish:
    • 20 Cardinal Tetras (about to be rehomed to free up bioload)
    • 6 Rummy Nose Tetras (about to be rehomed to free up bioload)
    • 7 Angelfish [3.5" young adults x3 - full coverage red koi pearlscale veil tail, black velvet super veil, albino pearlscale; 1" x4 juveniles - gold pearlscale widefin, goldcap koi pearlscale, Philippine blue ghost pearlscale show veil, Brazilian blue marble pearlscale widefin]
    • 3 Bristlenose Plecos - [2 adult 3" - albino spotted female, double red female; 1 1.5" juvenile - green dragon female]
    • 6 2.5" Clown Loaches
    • 1 Female Betta
    • 2 3" Siamese Algae Eaters

Plants:
    4 Aponogeton bulbs, Vallisneria grasses patch, Bacopa, Mint Charlie, 1 Amazon Sword, Salvinia surface plants (slow enough growing to not be duckweed-level annoying)

Someday Discus Tank Ideas
    The discus tank concept I'm dreaming of could go a couple of different directions. I like the idea of a wild strain tank, but I also like the challenge of mixing things up from reputable breeders to responsible assemble a tank with 9 discus to represent the planets or their mythologies. Still willing to be educated as I go.

Thanks! And hello!

-Adam
    Last edited by pacio49; 02-01-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by kalawai View Post
    Hello All,
    I’m Shari ....moved to Utah a couple of years ago from Kauai,HI with my other half Chris and our two Salukis. We moved here because of his parents they’re older and not in good health and the other reason was it’s so very expensive to live there and well...the old saying is “The price you pay for paradise”! Is a understatement!
    Plus,if you want to import aquarium fishes you have to have a import certificate....
    Speaking of aquariums.....
    I had lots of them in my bedroom,living room everywhere! I kept fresh water tropicals...you’d think with all the most beautiful reef fish I’d have those....mmmmmm no. My favorite is the Moorish Idol...just as sensitive or more so than Discus.
    I’d rather see them snorkeling....and going to the beach was what you do on days off anyway.
    I had Angelfish,guppies,Bettas,African cichlids and lastly Discus that I bought from Al Johnson....btw
    What ever happened to him?

So with moving to Utah.... the cost of living is cheaper. In the two years of living here we bought a home. You couldn’t do that in Hawaii without being well off...
    We are comfortable in our new home and now are wanting to get back into aquarium keeping again...slowly.
    I want to do right by my fish...... set up a big tank 125 gallon aquarium I saw on a local Classifieds KSL. I thought it was a 150 but after measuring it.....it’s a 125. Still a big tank!
    I’m looking for a secondary tank 60 gallon as a quarantine and possibly 45 gallon also..
    I do have a 55 gallon water storage tank we picked up for cheap $15
    I get asked how’s the change coming from tropical perfect weather for cold as heck in winter to baking hot summers here in Utah? I’m still trying to get used to driving in snow...trying to open my doors on my car when there iced Shut..makes me want to go back. LOLOLO
    Driving a car him snowy,slippery conditions is like riding a toboggan with wheels. Lol
    Congrats on your new home and your new choice of fish Shari. You have already kept discus before , so I guess you are very well familiar with the basics of discus keeping.
    I'm looking forward to see your next selection of discus swimming in your new 120 G tank.
    Where do you plan to buy from ? Do you plan to grow juvvies , or maybe start right off with a decorated grown discus tank set up ?
    Whatever you decide to go with I'm sure it will be fun for the rest of us here to follow it on simply discus .
    Good luck Shari

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by pacio49 View Post
    Hi everyone, Adam here. I've kept fish at various times before in my life, just getting back to the hobby now at 46. Right now we have a community tank which is slowly being transitioned to an angelfish tank. When I was setting up the tank my husband asked for Angelfish. I knew they needed some TLC and prepped him, and he fell in love with the species and took over my community tank!

As a tradeoff we will be getting a second tank for me to populate how I want. After keeping many different types of freshwater tropical tanks and community tanks over the years, I'm going to take the plunge and go for a discus tank.

I'm still in the "D - Do your research" step of things and just joined these boards as a good first step. It's going to be a good six months most likely before we start shopping for tank setups, so I'll be using this time to research and read, join forums, and research some more.

My current tank specs follow:

75 gallon US/280 Liter tank, 48" wide x 18" deep x 22" tall
    Freshwater community planted tank

Hardware:
    6.4 pH, 5.5 GH, 7.0KH water
    2x Fluval 306 Canister filters, approximately 8x complete water filtration per hour
    1 Finnex 24/7 main LED light
    1 supplemental Finnex LED light
    No CO2 system - high light, low tech
    Fluorite and Aquasolum mixture for substrate

Fish:
    • 20 Cardinal Tetras (about to be rehomed to free up bioload)
    • 6 Rummy Nose Tetras (about to be rehomed to free up bioload)
    • 7 Angelfish [3.5" young adults x3 - full coverage red koi pearlscale veil tail, black velvet super veil, albino pearlscale; 1" x4 juveniles - gold pearlscale widefin, goldcap koi pearlscale, Philippine blue ghost pearlscale show veil, Brazilian blue marble pearlscale widefin]
    • 3 Bristlenose Plecos - [2 adult 3" - albino spotted female, double red female; 1 1.5" juvenile - green dragon female]
    • 6 2.5" Clown Loaches
    • 1 Female Betta
    • 2 3" Siamese Algae Eaters

Plants:
    4 Aponogeton bulbs, Vallisneria grasses patch, Bacopa, Mint Charlie, 1 Amazon Sword, Salvinia surface plants (slow enough growing to not be duckweed-level annoying)

Someday Discus Tank Ideas
    The discus tank concept I'm dreaming of could go a couple of different directions. I like the idea of a wild strain tank, but I also like the challenge of mixing things up from reputable breeders to responsible assemble a tank with 9 discus to represent the planets or their mythologies. Still willing to be educated as I go.

Thanks! And hello!

-Adam
    Hi Adam and welcome to discus.
    It good that you have taken the research part of the hobby very seriously , and you are 6 months ahead of the game.
    Your Hardware looks decent and promising for keeping discus and your water parameters are on the softer and acidic side , which is very good start for discus.
    Read and dont hesitate to ask questions here Adam .We will be happy to help and guide you through the process of becoming a succesfull discus keeper .
    Cheers .
    Last edited by Filip; 02-05-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Real Name
    Shari

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Congrats on your new home and your new choice of fish Shari. You have already kept discus before , so I guess you are very well familiar with the basics of discus keeping.
    I'm looking forward to see your next selection of discus swimming in your new 120 G tank.
    Where do you plan to buy from ? Do you plan to grow juvvies , or maybe start right off with a decorated grown discus tank set up ?
    Whatever you decide to go with I'm sure it will be fun for the rest of us here to follow it on simply discus .
    Good luck Shari
    Thanks Fillip I知 over with getting babies and going with Big Adult Discus. I just picked up a used 65 gallon tank that will be a quarantine or hospital set up in our bedroom Lolololol! I haven稚 still set up anything but the fish that値l be getting will be viewed promptly first thing when I open my eyeballs or going to sleep.
    After what you went through with your guys...and the recovery. I only honestly say the anxiety that you must have went through is daunting.
    I知 slow to get things going but in the big tank I壇 like a bit of sand and driftwood with a 3D background,add some plants to the driftwood and call it good.
    I do however need to reseal that tank....should be a blast to do. I知 being sarcastic. I知 just thankful that both tanks are located in our finished basement. I値l have the quarantine tank in the bedroom and the 125 in the second living room.
    I知 just lucky that the quarantine tank 65 is in very good shape.

I知 still thinking on where to purchase my Discus from....but it値l be from one of our sponsors here... Kenny to Hans or Chicago Discus. I can稚 go wrong on anyone....all here have beautiful discus.
    As for color strains...one will be Blue Diamond for sure.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

Hello everyone I'm george, and tho I'm not new to the hobby I am coming back after a layoff, I live in sunny california just an hour away from Kenny, tho I do have a brother in law that breeds discus. I am currently setting up a brand new 455 gallon acrylic tank to house my future babies, I plan on 12 discus and about 200 tetras with some cory's and colombian zebra plecos. I am going black water and using peat moss to achieve this. I use Fluval peat moss as I have in the past, i have a 4" white sand substrate and I use Malaysian driftwood as my decor and match it with some smaller spider wood. I believe sand, especially the type I use, National geographic sand, is just as clean as BB. Right now I have a 90gal tall and a 50gal reg housing about 125 tetras and ready to break in new tank as soon as it's water quality is ready to go. I would love to post pics of my tank from purchase to now but lol, I don't know how. Thanks and hello again.........................George

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by geo57 View Post
    Hello everyone I'm george, and tho I'm not new to the hobby I am coming back after a layoff, I live in sunny california just an hour away from Kenny, tho I do have a brother in law that breeds discus. I am currently setting up a brand new 455 gallon acrylic tank to house my future babies, I plan on 12 discus and about 200 tetras with some cory's and colombian zebra plecos. I am going black water and using peat moss to achieve this. I use Fluval peat moss as I have in the past, i have a 4" white sand substrate and I use Malaysian driftwood as my decor and match it with some smaller spider wood. I believe sand, especially the type I use, National geographic sand, is just as clean as BB. Right now I have a 90gal tall and a 50gal reg housing about 125 tetras and ready to break in new tank as soon as it's water quality is ready to go. I would love to post pics of my tank from purchase to now but lol, I don't know how. Thanks and hello again.........................George
    Hi George and welcome back to the hobby .
    I can't wait to see your blackwater monster discus tank .Your whole plan seems just about right to me . I hope that you have already figured out the filtration system and the water - pump on this little pool .
    I would only protest against the depth of your sand bed .try and cut it down to Max. 2 inch , if not less , to achieve better water quality, because there is no such thing as clean sand bed .
    Clean sand bed is an oxymoron , Lol , at least IME .
    To post a picture just click on the sign with the picture of a little tree on it , and than choose an option Computer or URL , to upload your photo .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Hi George and welcome back to the hobby .
    I can't wait to see your blackwater monster discus tank .Your whole plan seems just about right to me . I hope that you have already figured out the filtration system and the water - pump on this little pool .
    I would only protest against the depth of your sand bed .try and cut it down to Max. 2 inch , if not less , to achieve better water quality, because there is no such thing as clean sand bed .
    Clean sand bed is an oxymoron , Lol , at least IME .
    To post a picture just click on the sign with the picture of a little tree on it , and than choose an option Computer or URL , to upload your photo .
    Hi Flip and thanx, yeah im gonna try again with the pics, thing is i do all by mobile phone and that sign with tree does NOT come up lol, makes me mad lol. I'll try downloading to computer at work then try again. I love the sand, so i went with a lot of it, i just enjoy watching the fish enjoy the sand and i know i'll need to clean it. Filtration I'm using Eheim's largest pump with heater and Marinelands largest HOB to compliment and create a water fall to get oxegen into the water. Let me see if I can load pics and I'll post for you.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

20180125_184202.jpgOnly file that went Flip, is it working?

Registered Member

Hello everyone, I am new here, obviously though right? Lol.
    Anyway I am in a predicament and could use some help here. I have kept fish in the past, started off with some community fish in a 29 gallon tank years ago as a present from 8th grade graduation. After that I've kept other fish since then, not all the time, and my favorite has come to be cichlids, of which I have kept some different species.

Anyway long story short I just set up a new 55 gallon tank, with intentions to just keep an oscar and a few pictus catfish (until the oscar was larger). Anyway I work at a petco and when I was there yesterday picking up some stuff someone came in to donate fish they no longer wanted, being 2 discus. Anyway myself and the other guy that works in the fish department didn't want to leave them at the store or let just anyone take them so I adopted the 2 for $0.50 a piece right away. I have no idea what kind they are, have never kept them and I'm also not sure if I will be keeping them. I was looking into hopefully being able to find a keeper local to me that might be interested in them that could care for them better if I do not keep them.

I live in San Diego, CA and I'm 26 years old. I find these fish very beautiful but just don't know if I want to or can keep them and provide the care they need.

Real Name
    Steve

Well, Hi Grimace, and welcome to SD. First, I want to applaud you for recognizing your limitations and reaching out. Hopefully someone in your area will notice and make contact. Discus are not necessarily hard to keep if one is willing to educate themselves and keep up with things like water maintenance, but it is a commitment. I encourage you to browse the forum. If you had pics to post, that might stimulate more interest. Let us know if you need help.
    Steve

Registered Member

IMG_0036.jpgIMG_0037.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Well, Hi Grimace, and welcome to SD. First, I want to applaud you for recognizing your limitations and reaching out. Hopefully someone in your area will notice and make contact. Discus are not necessarily hard to keep if one is willing to educate themselves and keep up with things like water maintenance, but it is a commitment. I encourage you to browse the forum. If you had pics to post, that might stimulate more interest. Let us know if you need help.
    Steve
    IMG_0038.jpg

Hopefully the pics worked, they aren't the best. Took them on my iPad as I couldn't find how to load them on my phone. Anyway yes I've been doing more reading up and watching videos on them now since last night as it's been awhile since I read about them at all.

They seem to be doing ok as of now, but the tank is newly setup also. They were brought in in some very dirty water though so I have no idea as to conditions they were being kept in or anything.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Amit

Hello everyone my name is Amit
    I知 from India live in Mumbai. I値l turn 41 this year, married got a very understanding wife who痴 also interested in keeping discus (lucky me) got one kid she痴 6 yrs old . I知 a professional pilot with a leading airline in India. I知 getting back to keeping discus after a break of about 8 years from fish keeping.... I kept fish from when I was in junior school . I致e already set up a planted tank for my new discus cycling it at the moment it痴 5ft x 2 ft x 2ft tank aquascaped with drift wood and have added lots of almond leaf in the sump to get the water acidic and kind of have a slight black water effect. At the moment I知 trying to figure out how to get my hands on good quality wild strain discus I plan on going with about 7 to 9 discus to start. the tank will have a lot of shrimps and cardinal tetras to keep the discus company . If anyone knows a good importer or breeder in India from whom I could source good quality discus please do let me know.
    Nice to be back in the hobby
    Btw I kept discus for about 7 years before I game them away😕

Page 79 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast