ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 81 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1511

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Welcome to the forum Erik. Look forward to hearing about your plans.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Filip

Welcome Erik.Looking forward to follow your new discus journey here .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Michael Lee

Hello, I'm Michael Lee and I'm a mathematician by trade. You can see some of my work at Michael Lee's Mathematics and Physics. I recently started up an aquarium of four discus; I absolutely love them! However, during my last water change of about 40% of the water, I added a small amount of pH down to try at get it from 7.0 to 6.5. I added too much and the test kit I used (dip and read strips) said the pH had dropped to below 6.0. The poor fish were obviously in distress! I had to run to the aquarium store to purchase some pH up and a proper chemical test kit (better results and it's cheaper; it just requires a little knowledge of chemistry), after adding pH up, the good test kit said the pH is now at an ideal 6.8. However, the guys are all hiding behind the plants. I hope they are going to be okay!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    vany

hi, am also from Mumbai. do you have any books of andrew soh on discus??

Quote Originally Posted by ehleine View Post
    Just signed up. Looking to read a bunch of info and hopefully finally setup a discus tank. I have had aquariums for 20 years and never decided to spend the money on discus despite having had a successful reef tank with corals. Hopefully will be able to find some local breeder here in MN when i am ready to finally get a few new fish.
    Erik, when you're ready to get discus, have a look in the sponsor section to find access to Chicago discus' thread with info - Chicago Discus is a long-time sponsor here on SD, and likely the best source nearest you for supplying high quality, healthy and well-shaped discus.

P.S. Erik

Let us know what city you live in, and perhaps some hobbyist breeder members near to your location may contact you if they have fish for sale.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lee View Post
    Hello, I'm Michael Lee and I'm a mathematician by trade. You can see some of my work at Michael Lee's Mathematics and Physics. I recently started up an aquarium of four discus; I absolutely love them! However, during my last water change of about 40% of the water, I added a small amount of pH down to try at get it from 7.0 to 6.5. I added too much and the test kit I used (dip and read strips) said the pH had dropped to below 6.0. The poor fish were obviously in distress! I had to run to the aquarium store to purchase some pH up and a proper chemical test kit (better results and it's cheaper; it just requires a little knowledge of chemistry), after adding pH up, the good test kit said the pH is now at an ideal 6.8. However, the guys are all hiding behind the plants. I hope they are going to be okay!
    Hi and welcome Michael . You were lucky enough you didn't kill your discus with the sudden PH drop back there .
    I hope they are doing ok now ?
    Stop using any pH + or - products in the future and focus on water changing with aged water . Your PH is great for discus and there is no need to even bother with it anyway.

Please read through the stickies in the begginers section here on the forum and watch the 1 hour video from the forums owner Al(also in the stickies of the begginer section ) , where all the basic info on keeping discus are well put together .

And please do share your tank and discus with photos and tech. Information on tank and equipment with us here .
    You can do that by opening a tank thread in our "tank journal " subforum .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John J Bertucci

Hi Folks, I retired from Shell Chemical in 2013. I had been keeping discus for almost 20 years up to retirement.
    I decided to build me an airplane, 30+ year Private Pilot, and needed the space in my man cave. So, like a dummy,
    I donated all my aquariums, 3 custom tanks to fit exactly across an 8' bench 2' deep, all my fish (3 breeding pairs and
    others) to local aquarium club. I do get tunnel vision on projects.
    Now, plane is finished and flying, and back at the man cave, my now empty bench looks like it's time to do discus again.
    So being out of the "know" for 5 years it's time to read up and see the latest on keeping discus in 2018.
    What's new in equipment, procedures etc. Then decide what I am going to do.

Bert Bertucci
    Prairieville, LA 20 miles south of Baton Rouge

Registered Member

Welcome bert!! Your a man who likes his projects. I can relate

Real Name
    Nathalia Faria

Red face Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Hi everyone!

I am from Brazil. I have been living among tanks since my childhood thanks to my dad. He always loved this world and got me in love for it as well. In 1994 he opened his own Aquarium / Fish Shop and it was kept until 2002. By that time, besides the main tank, he already had a Discus Hatchery at home and that got me in love for these beautiful fishes. He stopped breeding on 2010 and a lot has changed since, but we both still love it and have our own tanks

I've had many tanks with many different things to learn about them, but my true dream was always have a Giant Discus tank in my room and my own Hatchery

I am a beginner on Discus breeding World and hope I can learn a lot from you guys and can also share a thing or 2 that I might know.

Real Name
    Nate

As a new member of the forum, I jumped right in and started reading and posting before properly introducing myself. My name is Nate and I live in NW GA with my wife and children. We have a couple of acres of land which serves the purposes of gardening, woodworking, bee keeping and fish keeping. I've been in and out of the discus hobby for 30 years and am at it again. It seemed in the past every time I got everything set up just right, I had to move for work. Things have settled down now and I have the space to grow the hobby. In the past I've been successful at breeding angels and a whole assortment of other cichlids. With discus I was blessed to have multiple different pairs of discus lay eggs and advance to free swimmers, but never beyond that. Also lacking was quality stock. This is the season for getting it right and I look forward to learning from you all. This past week I received 18 beautiful discus from Kenny's Discus and already I have 3 clear pairs defending territory. In the months to come my plan is to convert part of my 2 story, 2,400 sq ft woodworking shop into a fish room. Please send me everything you have on the subject of fish rooms as I would love to get things right. Here is a picture of the workshop...

Shop.jpg
    120 Discus Show Tank / 125 Grow Out Tank / Fish Room (almost) Under Construction
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ku Muhamad Ariffuddin

Hello,

I am Arif and I'm from Malaysia. Nice to meet all of you.
    BTW I'm still new in this discus keeping, approximately around 1 month and a half. DIY fishkeeper video on how to keep a discus brought me here.

Any comments are welcome

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Ku Arif View Post
    Hello,

I am Arif and I'm from Malaysia. Nice to meet all of you.
    BTW I'm still new in this discus keeping, approximately around 1 month and a half. DIY fishkeeper video on how to keep a discus brought me here.

Any comments are welcome
    Hi Arif and welcome to simply and the world of discus keeping. Since you are still quite new at this there is a section of the forum which is dedicated to new discus keepers. You might consider reading thru the stickie threads in that section. You could also start a new thread telling us about your tank and fish
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Patty

Welcome Bert, Naty, Nate and Arif! There’s nothing quite like watching discus get big and round. I look forward to seeing yours now that mine are grown. Glad you found Simply Discus. It’s a great forum with so many experienced discus keepers from hobbyist to breeders.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Filip

Hello Bert , Nathallia , Nate and Ku Arif .
    We look forward seeing your discus tanks and talk discus with you . Feel free to share any information that you have or to ask any questions about keeping discus practices with us .
    I hope you'll all enjoy the forum .

Page 81 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast