AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 94 of 101 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 1511

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

I also have 3 little ones that ordinally came from Hans and he supplies to a lfs CTE Aquatics where I got them.

20211012_215926.jpg

20211012_215952.jpg
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 10-14-2021 at 09:09 AM.

As you can easily see, you do much better picking out your own fish. Nice Brilliants.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Welcome!! Sounds good. Pictures when your set up. Acrylic is much lighter than glass. I can move my 125s .
    Just a bit more expensive but good to know. Tom what part of LI are you from I just moved (7 years ago) from Stony Brook out east to Maryland my daughter is still in Bohemia.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 10-15-2021 at 07:26 AM.

Real Name
    Tom

I’m from Massapequa. Great looking Hans Discus!! Good luck with them!!! Time to start your own thread! .

Registered Member

I'm Chinthaka Priyasad from Sri Lanka and work as a senior Soft.Engineer in Colombo. Discus is my hobby and I'm really on to breeding them. Hope to enjoy this place and want to learn more and more about the King of the fish. Writing this reply after a long time I first visited here though.. .

Registered Member TheDiscusPrince's Avatar

Howdy folks! I’m Brant, 33yr old fishy dork from sunny Florida! I’m a avid lover of all animals, but fish have a special place in my heart. I also love to grow tropical plants as well. I’m into theatre, acting, singing, dancing, hiking, etc. I’m also a proud gay man as well!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Hi All-
    I have kept south american and african cichlids over the past 25 years. I had a brief interlude where I had to get rid of all my tanks and focus on work. I'm back in the hobby with a 120 gallon oceanic reef ready tank with a sump that I bought used. It's like 10-15 years old but the silicone seals and glass brace seem to all be in good shape. I decided to get into discus and I'm hooked. I had 10 but 1 unfortunately died from likely an internal parasite infection (white stringy poop) stopped eating. I'm learning on the fly and another stopped eating so I'm treating with flubendazole. I'll treat with praziquantel and go from there. I also have 10 cardinal tetras, few rummy nose and 8 cory's. I have drift wood and plants in a quartz sand substrate. Look forwarding to learning from you all!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

Hi, my name is Robert. I have been in the aquarium hobby, off and on, for over 50 years. While in collage, I raised fish to sell to pet stores (mostly Angels and Goldfish) for gas money. My first Discus were purchased at Walmart, back when they actually had a pet department. They would periodically get discus in, but nobody in the store knew how to care for them. They would frequently give them to me, after they where half starved. I would bring them home and feed them homemade Beef Heart food, and bring them back to health.

I got out of the hobby for about 18 years due to work, travel, and family. Having recently retired, I started setting up tanks again. In the last 8 months I have set up a heavily planted 65 gal community tank, a planted 120 gal Discus tank with 8 Wattley Discus, a 29 gal breeding tank with a matted pair of Angels, a 20 gal breeding tank, a 20 gal fry tank with about 100 fry, and a 3 gal hatching tank with another 50 or so newly hatched Angelfish. I hope to one day breed discus
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a beautiful tank. I have no idea how you are able to keep it clean. Best of luck with your new project and welcome to Simply Discus.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    That's a beautiful tank. I have no idea how you are able to keep it clean. Best of luck with your new project and welcome to Simply Discus.

Thanks Mama Bear!
    That tank is highly over filtered. It has 2 Oase 600 Thermo filters, one of which is connected in-line with a Lifeguard Fluidized Bed Sand filter. The combination gives a massive amount of bio-filtration. In addition I have recently installed a UV sterilizer in-line with the other Oase. I also do partial water changes twice a week. One of the Oase filters was connected to a cycled tank for over 2 months prior to installation on the 120 discus tank. This allowed me to put fish in the tank almost as soon as I set it up. Ammonia and Nitrite have never registered above 0 and, the plants keep Nitrate between 10 and 20. I have had a small problem with cyanobacteria, due to the high water temperature (84F) and phosphates, but I am getting that under control with a phosphate remover and a wave maker for increased circulation.

Being retired, I don't have any conflicts that keep me from performing the regular water changes and doing spot maintenance as I see fit. The few times my wife and I have gone traveling for 3 or 4 days, I simply change water before and after and let the fish go hungry while we are gone. It seem to work well.

Real Name
    Tom

Great looking tank!! You are enjoying your retirement!! Looking forward to more pictures!!! We’ve got a forum for planted tanks.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Great looking tank!! You are enjoying your retirement!! Looking forward to more pictures!!! We’ve got a forum for planted tanks.
    Thanks! I'm sure I will have occasion to post them

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

I'm in a similar situation as Robert. Started keeping tropicals in the early '60's, mom would take me to Ed's Aquariums when i saved enough to buy fish. Lost all my tanks [and my house] in Superstorm Sandy and now down just a 55 gallon. Guess i'm retired, my last job never called me back after the covid shutdown, thankfully i have a big yard with plenty of projects to keep me busy. Everyone here is so nice it's been great to chat with you guys.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Holy diatom filter Robert what's holding those discus up? There can't be water in that tank. Fantastic setup, congrats on a great job.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

Quote Originally Posted by jpm995 View Post
    Holy diatom filter Robert what's holding those discus up? There can't be water in that tank. Fantastic setup, congrats on a great job.
    Thanks for the comments. I am trying to be a good steward of my Discus this time around. While I have keep them successfully in the past with minimal water changes and such, since I am now retired and have time on my hands, I am trying to keep up better tank maintenance. Twice weekly water changes and good filtration make a big difference in the looks of the tank, and hopefully will benefit the fish as well

Page 94 of 101 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast