AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 89 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 1511

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Registered Member

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Hello! Weocome! I believe that when you combining your experiences with a few basic guidelines and practices that Discus keeping will be not a problem for you while at the same time an enjoyable event.
    Last edited by peewee1; 05-17-2020 at 12:13 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Miguel

Hello my name is Miguel but my friends callme Maico.
    I live in Monterrey Mexico.

about my experience withaquariums alway have from childhood and quit about 20 years ago my knowledge is old and simple, 40-50 teaye ago I did not know of water changes,parameters of water etc. symply set up a nice tank buy plants fish add water ( not in that order ) and enjoy it really good.
    today it is more sofisticade I see thanks to a site like this (facinating) all the info I can get at my fingertips. so I decided if I am going to start again has to be an extaordinary experience and unique and Discus is the way to go ONLY , I am not intrested in other fish. so here I am.
    I who have nothing (Tom Jones) and aquarium wise of cource. so I will start from cero.I started to read thhese threads and want to learn as much as possible.
    here in monterrey there are some stores but nothing fancy thryhave equipment for beguiners and I understand is the market.
    so far this is where I am standing and thank you for acepting me in this forum
    best regards to all
    Maico

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Hello All.
    Vinni Smith here from Nashville TN.

Nancy and I live here with great danes, horses, goats, chickens, doves and now DISCUS.

We have had aquariums all our lives. Freshwater, saltwater and even outside koi ponds. We love our fish.

Right now we are waiting for our new 140 acrylic tank and stand to be built. 36 x 30 x 30.

We have a 56 gallon tank right now filled with 12 assorted discus. I did not know about this forum and unfortunately purchased fish from 3 different sources. Most are doing well but a couple not so well.

I just found out that the two blue diamonds and the one red pigeon checkerboard fish are from Hans. We purchased them from our local shop here in Nashville. I called Hans yesterday on the phone and had a wonderful chat with him. He was driving on his way to the airport. Great fellow.

This tank is very seasoned. Had it up for about 7 years now. I have recently made it a bare bottom because I like the looks and ease of maintenance.

I am doing about 50% water change twice a week.

Nancy and I own a guitar pick business. We hand make boutique guitar picks played by Carlos Santana, ZZ TOP, Aerosmith and Steely Dan. It is a fun job and keeps us very busy. But we are blessed in that we can stay home all day, every day with our animals.

Nice to meet you all. Looking forward to learning a bunch of stuff from you. Just the past couple of days have been very eye opening.

Vinni

Real Name
    Tom

Welcome Vinnie !
    I will think of you if I actually get to see Steely Dan this year at SPAC .They have re scheduled but are still planning to perform July first ..
    I am a big fan of Hans discus and have a few ,myself .He is the only supplier I have got my discus from and I am very pleased .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Hallo
    I am Agung from Indonesia.
    I want to try raising Discus.
    At first I was afraid to start. But I am convinced by so many sharing experiences from all of you. It will help me in raising discus

Thanks for sharing from all of you.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bhay View Post
    Hallo
    I am Agung from Indonesia.
    I want to try raising Discus.
    At first I was afraid to start. But I am convinced by so many sharing experiences from all of you. It will help me in raising discus

Thanks for sharing from all of you.
    Hello,m Agung! It is a good thing that you have the desire to going the world of discus. Because you live in Indonesia you are very near to the sources of Asian raised discus. It will be interesting to know about your ongoing experiences. Please continue to share those experiences.

Registered Member

Hi Peewee1.
    Thanks for your welcome.
    I will try to follow up my discus.
    Currently. I have 6 discus blue diamond. Seller say they are 2”. They arrived at 26 May 2020.

Unfortunately, I have already buy small tank (50 x 28 x 30). My first plan is to learn breeding.
    After I watch some senior discus in YouTube . I change my plan to growing up discus..

I try to grow them in my current tank.

Can you share your experience

Thanks

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bhay View Post
    Hi Peewee1.
    Thanks for your welcome.
    I will try to follow up my discus.
    Currently. I have 6 discus blue diamond. Seller say they are 2”. They arrived at 26 May 2020.

Unfortunately, I have already buy small tank (50 x 28 x 30). My first plan is to learn breeding.
    After I watch some senior discus in YouTube . I change my plan to growing up discus..

I try to grow them in my current tank.

Can you share your experience

Thanks
    Okay, I had posted this elsewhere but I do not recall where so I will give quick experience to you. I began maybe 1980s with 4 20 gallon tanks and Discus that I bought from a San Francisco breeder Herman Chan. I did not know any more that what I read but I did develop 4 or 5 breeding pairs of wild or first generation wild discus. At some point I had to move my home so I did not continue with breeding activities. Later, maybe 2 years ago I had business with friend who also had bred Angelfish and Discus for many years. He encouraged me to to begin Discus again by giving to me complete aquarium system. I now have only 5 fish but have begun breeding tank for a pair. I will add 2 more this month to my aquarium to replace them with hope to find another pair for breeding. I have learned much from this forum including importance of water changing and something about medications. I prefer variations of wild discus instead of hybrid versions.

Registered Member

Thank you for sharing your experience Mr Peewee1
    Now I still observe their eating behaviors. From the 26th, I gave FBW. 1 Day 3 times, sometimes 4 times. I still keep observing. I noticed they long time spent his meal. can be 3-4 hours. Is this something normal?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

Hi All,

I've kept tropical fish for +/- 55 years starting when I was about 10 yo. I worked for the largest aquarium distributor in St. Louis in the 1970's when going to college doing both the retail store as well as filling dry good orders and working in the wholesale fish room. I belonged to the Missouri Aquarium Society Inc. (MASI). At home I had a small 'fish room' with about 6 tanks of various sized.

When my wife and I moved to Seattle in 1977 I continued the hobby, just one tank filled with 'community' fish. About 12 years ago I become interested in planted tanks and currently I have five tanks ranging from 75 gallons down to 10 gallons. I belong to the local our local aquarium club, the Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS.org) where I have served as club president, vice president, horticulture program chairperson, and a board member for the last 10 years. I have 'fish sat' for one of our club master breeders several times.

In all this time I have never kept discus at home however now that I am retired I decided to give this magnificent species a try. I acquired some seven (7) F1 juvies of Red Spot Green Discus (Symphysodon aequifasciatus), the parents were collected from the Rio Nanay in Peru. I thought I would start a journal here and chronicle my journey.....wish me luck! -Roy

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
    Hi All,

I've kept tropical fish for +/- 55 years starting when I was about 10 yo. I worked for the largest aquarium distributor in St. Louis in the 1970's when going to college doing both the retail store as well as filling dry good orders and working in the wholesale fish room. I belonged to the Missouri Aquarium Society Inc. (MASI). At home I had a small 'fish room' with about 6 tanks of various sized.

When my wife and I moved to Seattle in 1977 I continued the hobby, just one tank filled with 'community' fish. About 12 years ago I become interested in planted tanks and currently I have five tanks ranging from 75 gallons down to 10 gallons. I belong to the local our local aquarium club, the Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS.org) where I have served as club president, vice president, horticulture program chairperson, and a board member for the last 10 years. I have 'fish sat' for one of our club master breeders several times.

In all this time I have never kept discus at home however now that I am retired I decided to give this magnificent species a try. I acquired some seven (7) F1 juvies of Red Spot Green Discus (Symphysodon aequifasciatus), the parents were collected from the Rio Nanay in Peru. I thought I would start a journal here and chronicle my journey.....wish me luck! -Roy
    Hot diggy! A potential Seahawks fan. I was at one time a member of the GSAS. But you will know a long time friend of mine who was also a past president of the GSAS. We used to meet at the Seattle Science Center in the Laserium. Now with that said I want to stake a claim for first one in line for a few of those greens fry I have been looking everywhere for them. And you would not even have to ship them.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

Hi peewee1,

Yes, definitely a Seahawks fan....hopefully there will be a season this year. I joined GSAS shortly after they moved their meeting location from the Seattle Aquarium to Seattle Pacific University. The club has grown a lot over the last ten years. When I first joined in 2008 a typical meeting would have about 20 members and guests show up. Before the virus hit we typically had 60-70 members show up for a average meetings. When we invite international speakers like Christel Kasselmann, Oliver Lucanus, Bart Laurens, Dick Au, or Juan Miguel Artigas Azas as guest speakers we can easily exceed 180 attendees. If you get the chance stop in for a meeting when they start up, several vintage members show up for meetings from time to time and some have even rejoined. -Roy

Registered Member

Default Hello from Pennsylvania!

Howdy all! I’m Roman and would like to include a compliment along with my greeting. This is a wonderful forum and I’ve learned a ton already! I am of the opinion that despite all the garbage that the internet has brought us, well-run forums are one of the best things of the digital world. Fishkeeping across the board has benefitted greatly by those generous enough to share their experience and knowledge in a welcoming and happy forum. Cheers to all of you!

I’ve been keeping fish since I was a young teenager (and am turning 50 in a few months) and have enjoyed keeping everything from my first community tanks, Bettas, oddballs, Oscars and Gars, new world cichlids, African cichlids, Reef tanks, and FOWLRs. Currently we have 3 dogs (2 goldens and a rescue mastiff/shepherd mix) and have 2 rats to go along with 6 running salt and freshwater aquariums; previously we’ve bred holland lop rabbits, owned guinea pigs, hamsters, lizards, birds, etc etc etc. Its been like a zoo around here - and we’ve loved every minute of it. (In fact, my college-aged daughter is an intern at a zoo - so I have some amazing help!)

But I’ve never once kept Discus. And I believe it’s time!

I have a 220 gallon that I’ve prepared and is ready to go. I’ll be asking some questions here as the build progresses and will be looking to acquire some amazing fish from the recommendations in this forum.

Once again, Thank You all for sharing your knowledge here. The animals are the recipients of our collective proper care and are most certainly worth our time and effort.

Oh, and regarding the previous posts regarding the Seattle Seahawks? East coast mega-fan here! I miss the days of Zorn to Largent, Kenny Easley, Tez (I shook his hands on the sidelines after his HOF induction - the ‘You Mad, Bro?” Game is Seattle vs New England), Hasselbeck and all the fellas. I sincerely hope they can have a safe and healthy season this year. Sunday afternoons this Fall just won’t be the same without football. Here’s hoping...

Best to all,
    Roman

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Trey

Hi I am Neil from South Africa, Trey is my son....and we have 3 beautiful ladys with us ....mum and 2 daughters ....
    Thank you for accepting me/us on this forum as we really need too learn a lot about this amazing amazing fish ...

I have been involved in some way or the other in tropical fish for the past 40 odd years, and the drive is now to set up a Discus tank.

Just moved into a new home that has all the space we longed of for.....the plan is for a few tanks (MTS), already have a small pond on the go ...

Busy in the planning stages for a 350 gallon...been spending many hours searching the net , and there is a lot of info out there....

so far the only works that has been finished is the fish room of sorts for the 350g ...the building works and plastering has been done ... opening in wall for a flush tank of 3300mm x 600mm x 750mm wide

next stage is the stand ....etc etc

please all advise will be welcome and appreciated....
    sumps/ canister
    decor
    substrate
    controllers
    lighting
    etc etc...

Its a journey we love to take and hope that you will guide us along.

Namsat

Registered Member

I cannot think of any place further from where I live in the Pacific Northwest of American than South Africa. My friend is a flight crew for Air France living in Paris. I am told it is 12 hours to Johannesburg from gay Paree (for you Millennial "gay" had a different meaning back in the day when Paree was indeed gay) . Adding another 10 for me to just get to Paris makes the entire trip too long. Welcome and learn and where do those discus that your purchase come from? Are there local breeders?
    Last edited by peewee1; 08-19-2020 at 05:34 PM.

Page 89 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast