ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 87 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 1511

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Real Name
    Christopher Austill

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Thanks danotaylor, will absolutely be watching very closely. Had the original pair in quarantine tank. After female passed did 100% water change scrubbed walls & floor filter & tubing then another week of medicating for the male, showing no signs other than a hunger strike / would only eat freeze dried bloodworms, I then introduced him into the 180. The place we got the pair from keeps their water temperatures at 76-78 so I completely expected a full on rescue “attempt”.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Catherine

Well Hello! I was reading some of your responses and WOW. Some interesting people out there. I on the other hand don't feel I am all that interesting. LOL
    My name is Catherine. I'm 39 going on the BIG 40 - GAH!!! I have loved fish since I was a little girl. I would win the goldfish from the fairs and keep them in bowls - I had 4 of them one time, lasted 4 years. Then my sister bought me my first tank along with angelfish, silver dollars and so on. I was little and didn't know much at all if anything. They all did well until the little boy who my mom babysat for dumped the whole container of fish food in the tank...fast forward to when I was a teenager, I got my own tank (10g) after I won another fish. I put him in the 10g and also added a betta - bad idea...the gold fish tore up my betta....got a divider...fast forward again - I had moved in with my boyfriend at 22 and before you knew it we had 7 tanks from a 75g to a 10g. We had salt water and fresh water. When that ended I took my 30 gallon and my 10g and moved to my own place. This was all in NYC. I now live in NC. 2 years ago I started up again. I currently have 4 tanks, a 75, a 55, a 29 and a 10. I work full time as an office administrator for a burglar and fire alarm company. I'm a mother to a 6yr old little boy, a wife and also have 1 dog and a cat. I'M BUSY ALL THE TIME. But I only just recently decided to finally keep what has always been my very favorite fish - The DISCUS!! I have to admit I jumped into it. I transferred my 55 community to my 29 and thought, knowing my 55 is a well established tank, they can go right in. HUH...I was wrong but I've been researching and learning as I go. I currently have 7 discus and working on making everything right for them.

Real Name
    Brian

Hi Catherine and welcome to the forum. This is the best place in the world to learn!

If you haven't already, I suggest you watch this video. There's more there than you will learn in weeks of poking around... http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...TCH-THIS-VIDEO!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roger Harvey

Thumbs up Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Good Evening

My name is Roger I live in Warrington Uk I have a basic but effective set up with a single Discus for 4yrs and a dozen cardinal tetras and 1 plec and 2 Gourami I'm apologise for this next bit but I need some urgent help with the way my beautiful blue discus is looking currently I Have been away for several days and returned to a very sad looking fish which is almost black in looks dark eyes fin is down swimming on its side on occasions slimy looking at times having gone on google earlier I think that quarantine is 1st stage of saving if possible and using a treatment called mythalene Blue? apologies if spelt incorrectly but I am very much guessing here

I have down water checks and the following based on colour chart indicator is

Ammonia clear liquid nitrate clear liquid indicates 0mg/l ph 7.5 nitrite no change in colour 0mg/ L

I can post a video if the site allows me to do this? Unsure how to post video?

Any initial comments / observations would be most welcomed I don't own a 2nd tank but intend going out tomorrow to purchase what basic secondary equipment is needed for back up whilst appreciating that I may be to late to save him which would be really bad as I feel guilty already tonight

Thankyou everyone and again apologies for posting for help on day 1 of being a new person to this fantastic site

Regards

Roger

Real Name
    Ken

Hi -
    My name is Ken but my musician and fishy friends call me Popeye

I'm a Michigander transplanted from New Jersey, retired Enterprise Architect, drummer (praise band, music trivia expert), photographer, fisherman (catch and release only), Vietnam vet (68-70), lover of all animals - even people!
    I have four tanks (one 10G, two 50Gs, one 100G), two dogs, two feral cats, and a parrot. I owned a fish store in New Jersey from 1978 to 1983, just getting back into the hobby over the past couple of years.

I just cycled one of my 50G tanks and plan on visiting Dennis Velkov. He comes recommended by people on this forum and as luck would have it, he's only 2 hours away. I'm thinking four 2" to 3" inch discus for that 50G, a good cleanup crew, and some dither fish. That tank has a Cascade 1200. I replaced the media that it came with for better bio and graduated mechanical filtration. Not afraid of maintenance, its part of the joy of keeping fish. I'm looking for advice on introducing the dither fish with discus. First or after the discus in the tank?

My other 50G has rainbows, rummynose, plecos (love plecos) some cory, kuhlis, neon blue ram, and a big orange veil tail angelfish named Julius. He he eats out of my hand.

Now for some help on my 100G. I should have it cycled and ready by Thanksgiving. I need good sources for Angelfish - any recommendations for a good forum (like this one) or any experience from this team on angels?

Thanks all,
    Popeye
    Last edited by kgoerg; 10-14-2019 at 05:56 PM.
    Ken
    Sorry, I can’t brain today, I has the dumb.

Real Name
    Ken

Jeep -Looks like you have a boxer puppy, We're on our third boxer - the best. I recognize what my wife and I call the baby boxer egg-head.
    Ken
    Sorry, I can’t brain today, I has the dumb.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Linda

Default Brand New Today :-)

Well hello everyone, what a great topic to started on! It has been so good reading your messages in this thread and getting to know some of you straight off the bat. My name is Linda I live down under in lovely Adelaide Australia.

About 12 years ago I used to have a big custom made tank with 12 discus I bought from a local breeder and a pleco, and surprised myself with how well they thrived, (coming from a small 2x goldfish tank). I'd heard how hard and costly discus were to look after, but I didn't find that was the case I even had a few pair off and breed After a few years I had to move to a smaller place with no room for my my beautiful discus and custom made tank so consequently had to sell them all.

Well here we go again ! I've just bought a 240L tank, only a small one this time... still to be delivered. I'm here to learn as much as I can before getting my discus. Starting with cycling the tank fishless, if that is indeed the best way to go? I've already learnt from 'Paul' that pool filter sand is the best subtrate to have for discus.

Looking forward to learning, sharing ,e-meeting and growing with you all over the years!

Many thanks
    Linda

Real Name
    Frank

Welcome Linda! Looking forward to your posts and following your tank.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Linda

Thank you Fljones3... so excited!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LilCat44 View Post
    Well Hello! I was reading some of your responses and WOW. Some interesting people out there. I on the other hand don't feel I am all that interesting. LOL
    My name is Catherine. I'm 39 going on the BIG 40 - GAH!!! I have loved fish since I was a little girl. I would win the goldfish from the fairs and keep them in bowls - I had 4 of them one time, lasted 4 years. Then my sister bought me my first tank along with angelfish, silver dollars and so on. I was little and didn't know much at all if anything. They all did well until the little boy who my mom babysat for dumped the whole container of fish food in the tank...fast forward to when I was a teenager, I got my own tank (10g) after I won another fish. I put him in the 10g and also added a betta - bad idea...the gold fish tore up my betta....got a divider...fast forward again - I had moved in with my boyfriend at 22 and before you knew it we had 7 tanks from a 75g to a 10g. We had salt water and fresh water. When that ended I took my 30 gallon and my 10g and moved to my own place. This was all in NYC. I now live in NC. 2 years ago I started up again. I currently have 4 tanks, a 75, a 55, a 29 and a 10. I work full time as an office administrator for a burglar and fire alarm company. I'm a mother to a 6yr old little boy, a wife and also have 1 dog and a cat. I'M BUSY ALL THE TIME. But I only just recently decided to finally keep what has always been my very favorite fish - The DISCUS!! I have to admit I jumped into it. I transferred my 55 community to my 29 and thought, knowing my 55 is a well established tank, they can go right in. HUH...I was wrong but I've been researching and learning as I go. I currently have 7 discus and working on making everything right for them.
    My hobby began as well with those gold fish that I won at the carnival. I was thinking of that 6 year old of yours. My son will come to talk to me where I most hang out in my house, the fish and TV room. The TV will be on but while he is telling me what ever it is he found important he is constantly watching the fish. They fascinate him. I would hope that your boy is somewhat the same. What a calming affect an aquarium seems to have the little people in our lives.

Registered Member

Default Re: Brand New Today :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Minx View Post
    Well hello everyone, what a great topic to started on! It has been so good reading your messages in this thread and getting to know some of you straight off the bat. My name is Linda I live down under in lovely Adelaide Australia.

About 12 years ago I used to have a big custom made tank with 12 discus I bought from a local breeder and a pleco, and surprised myself with how well they thrived, (coming from a small 2x goldfish tank). I'd heard how hard and costly discus were to look after, but I didn't find that was the case I even had a few pair off and breed After a few years I had to move to a smaller place with no room for my my beautiful discus and custom made tank so consequently had to sell them all.

Well here we go again ! I've just bought a 240L tank, only a small one this time... still to be delivered. I'm here to learn as much as I can before getting my discus. Starting with cycling the tank fishless, if that is indeed the best way to go? I've already learnt from 'Paul' that pool filter sand is the best subtrate to have for discus.

Looking forward to learning, sharing ,e-meeting and growing with you all over the years!

Many thanks
    Linda
    Linda, I have visited Australia a number of times when I worked for an airline. Mostly Sydney but also Cannbera once and then a number of times to New Zealand as well. Nice people and a scenic part of the world you live in. As we would always say prior to departure, "Welcome aboard."

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

G'day Linda. Glad you joined the SD community mate! I am an Aussie living in the US. I grew up in Brissy, lived in Perth for 14 yrs, and have had several trips to the city of churches. Adelaide, and the surrounds, is beautiful. There's a few Aussies in our community, Melbourne, Brissy and Cairns that I know of, and now Adelaide. Looking forward to tracking your reentry into the discus world!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Hi folks, or to stay true to my Texan roots Howdy Yall.

I currently live in NJ, my last stop on a 30+ year military career. Have been here since 2003, hard to believe. Retired after 30 in the Army in 2011 and due to disability in 2013. Haven't played with fish since College. Back then had 2 50 gallon tanks, one african and one discus/community tank. Since I don't know when I will be leaving the state, at least 3-5 years in the future, I decided to stop waiting and pull the trigger on getting my feet wet again so to speak. Purchased 2 200 gallon tanks. Chinese sizing so actually 150 gallon tanks that they now advertise on ebay as 175s. So far like the looks, sump arrangement and stand. Will know more after I actually put some water in them.

Actually have only one of the them as I bought the last 2 on sale in July, and turns out the vendor can't count so had to send to Taiwan for the second tank, which should arrive any week now on a verrrrrry slow boat.

Also picked up a 65 for possible grow out, and 45 quarantine tank. Both options after doing hours of reading. Not going to go live till January and in fact would not have bought the tanks except that I saved a chunk of change buying the last 2.

Both will be discus/community and both planted. I am sold on UV at sterilization strength and will probably also use Ozone as a clarifier. Probably will also go with reverse flow undergravel (actually pool filter sand) filtration in addition to sump. Back in my day (says the old man) undergravel filters were all the rage. The downside is obvious but using the substrate as a massive biological filter is OTOH very appealing and I hate to let it go to waste. Who knows, the mild upward pressure from water below may be even better than no flow as far as pushing crud (for some reason I have a problem with the word detritus, its a redneck thing) toward the filter intake.

Figured I ought to intro myself as I am asking questions as they occur on certain threads. Glad to be here and impressed/slightly intimidated with the overall body of knowledge.

Don

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Scott

Hey DiscusFolk.

Just a quick introduction. I used to be a member of this forum in the very early 2000's as wall_o_fish. I quit the discuss hobby to attempt to preserve my marriage.

I'm back. :-)

For now, I'm an armchair discus hobbyist. But I finally have the freedom and money to pursue this hobby, so I'm here for resources.

My interests are WILD phenotypes/crosses. Back in the early 2000s I was really into the Alenquer thing. I'm very interested in knowing about breeders in California.

Anyway, I hope to see ya'll on the forums.

Scott

Real Name
    Frank

Welcome back Scott.

Page 87 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast