ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 11 of 101 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Hello Forum,

My name is Favian I was born and raised in Ceiba Puerto Rico. I came to the states in 2000 "military brat" I been in the fish hobby since i was 7, I remember the first fish tank my parents bought me, I was so excited I fainted lol.. anyways, I now Live in Tampa Florida, I've had fresh water, salt water, reef. I've moved so many times that I'm finally stable now with job and school. I keep a 20 gal planted with rams and cardinals and is my stress relief therapy on those hard study days lol. I'm looking foward on keeping discus! I be getting my tank this coming month and I pretty much have answer a lot of my questions in this awesome forum!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you guys this is a great site! specially for newbies like myself in this addicting hobby

Hey Favian!

GRat to have you here! Learn all you can!

Best wishes.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Chad!

Registered Member

Hello all,

I'm Prashanth. I live in Southern California. I have kept various freshwater aquaria since childhood. There has been a lapse during college and grad school. Now have entered this new challege of caring for Discus, and has been somewhat of a rollercoaster experience over the previous 2 months. I schedule my day around feeding and waterchanges! My wife certainly was surprised that I have started to come home for lunch all of a sudden. My fish are in 55g currently. Awaiting shipment of 180g display tank. Goal will be low light, planted display. We'll see how things go. Outside fishkeeping, I work as a kidney doc. Just had my second child one month ago. (My wife says that I spend more time with my fish, but has been very understanding about my passion). Many friendly people here. Have been lurking for a couple of weeks, soaking in information. Finally gathering up the nerve to start some threads of my own with questions.

- Prashanth

Prashanth,

Welcome to SD! What area of Southern California are you in? Best of luck with your new display tank!

Best Wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Hi Chad, I live in Apple Valley. Moved out here for work last summer. Lived in Michigan and Ohio for 20+ years, and still getting used the the "desert". I've learned a lot from your posts here and at AC. Nice to meet you. Sincerely,
    Prashanth

Prashanth,

It does take a bit of getting used to, doesn't it?

I too lived in Ohio and finished college in Toledo Ohio.

Good to have you here!

Best wishes.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

My name is Adam, I live in Sacramento, CA. I've been an aquarist for well over a dozen years and had mainly African cichlids the whole time. I got into Discus about a year ago in my 46g bow front. They are absolutely beautiful and have made me an more devout aquarist...'ve been known to neglect my cichlids in the past...but always had an above average survival rate. I got into Discus for the challenge and beauty and don't see myself going back anytime soon! Next up is probably a larger tank...if my wife allows it in our tiny home!

Welcome Adam!

I just replied to your other "filtration" post.

Have fun on here and learn lots!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well I am Dave and I have kept discus back int the dark ages before snake skins and blue diamonds for that matter when pigeon bloods were the wildest and most contraversial species.I used to Breed and sell some of the offspring when I sold out everything in 1999.But I have had salt water for awhile But my love of discus is always there.I keep pondering getting some 55 gallon tanks and buying some discus and see what happens.......I have to convince the wife

Well I am Dave and I have kept discus back int the dark ages before snake skins and blue diamonds for that matter when pigeon bloods were the wildest and most contraversial speciesthat you could get.I used to Breed and sell some of the offspring when I sold out everything in 1999.But I have had salt water for awhile But my love of discus is always there.I keep pondering getting some 55 gallon tanks and buying some discus and see what happens.......I have to convince the wife

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Goki27 View Post
    Hello Forum,

My name is Favian I was born and raised in Ceiba Puerto Rico. I came to the states in 2000 "military brat" I been in the fish hobby since i was 7, I remember the first fish tank my parents bought me, I was so excited I fainted lol.. anyways, I now Live in Tampa Florida, I've had fresh water, salt water, reef. I've moved so many times that I'm finally stable now with job and school. I keep a 20 gal planted with rams and cardinals and is my stress relief therapy on those hard study days lol. I'm looking foward on keeping discus! I be getting my tank this coming month and I pretty much have answer a lot of my questions in this awesome forum!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you guys this is a great site! specially for newbies like myself in this addicting hobby
    hello Favian and welcome. the best thing you can do on this site is read, read, and then read some more. ask questions when you do not understand something fully and you will do fine. once again, welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by pkumar View Post
    Hello all,

I'm Prashanth. I live in Southern California. I have kept various freshwater aquaria since childhood. There has been a lapse during college and grad school. Now have entered this new challege of caring for Discus, and has been somewhat of a rollercoaster experience over the previous 2 months. I schedule my day around feeding and waterchanges! My wife certainly was surprised that I have started to come home for lunch all of a sudden. My fish are in 55g currently. Awaiting shipment of 180g display tank. Goal will be low light, planted display. We'll see how things go. Outside fishkeeping, I work as a kidney doc. Just had my second child one month ago. (My wife says that I spend more time with my fish, but has been very understanding about my passion). Many friendly people here. Have been lurking for a couple of weeks, soaking in information. Finally gathering up the nerve to start some threads of my own with questions.

- Prashanth
    welcome Prashanth. i'm also in SoCal and you are more than welcome to come on by and we can chat discus or we can go over what you plan on doing with that huge 180 . i live in Reseda

Quote Originally Posted by adamsite View Post
    My name is Adam, I live in Sacramento, CA. I've been an aquarist for well over a dozen years and had mainly African cichlids the whole time. I got into Discus about a year ago in my 46g bow front. They are absolutely beautiful and have made me an more devout aquarist...'ve been known to neglect my cichlids in the past...but always had an above average survival rate. I got into Discus for the challenge and beauty and don't see myself going back anytime soon! Next up is probably a larger tank...if my wife allows it in our tiny home!
    hello Adam, welcome to SD.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZ. View Post
    Well I am Dave and I have kept discus back int the dark ages before snake skins and blue diamonds for that matter when pigeon bloods were the wildest and most contraversial species.I used to Breed and sell some of the offspring when I sold out everything in 1999.But I have had salt water for awhile But my love of discus is always there.I keep pondering getting some 55 gallon tanks and buying some discus and see what happens.......I have to convince the wife
    welcome back to the most addicting hobby in existence . it's great to have someone from back when discus were not easily attained.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Hello.

I'm new to this forum, but not new to keeping fish. My wife introduced me to the aquarium hobby while we were dating, back in the previous millennium. While we were still dating we got into discus with a Brown and a Heckel in a 44 flat back hex. Didn't know anything about RO/DI back then, or any of the other stuff that goes with keeping discus, we just tried to keep them alive. At one point while we were out my (now wife)'s apartment was robbed. The discus saw everything. Unfortunately we don't speak Portuguese... so we never did find out who did it.

After we got married and moved north to a suburb we tried several times to keep discus... without much success. Water is very hard up here ('liquid concrete') Once we got a beautiful large pair of PB's at a LFS... We brought them home and put them in our brand new 54 Bowfront. They were the first Discus we'd seen that seemed to actually like our water. I had heard good things about live food. I rushed out and bought some live brine shrimp and fed it all to my beautiful new fish in a big pink cloud. The next day they were both dead... impacted gut, as I later learned.

Eventually our water inclined me to get into African Cichlids, which I have had fun with and which as culminated in owning the beautiful Polleni Madagascar Cichlid, my favorite fish (besides Discus. Don't ask me to choose.) But my wife never had much interest in cichlids apart from Discus.

Now we are at it again and are really serious this time. We have converted our 125g show tank (lately an African tank) to Discus. We bought three Discus (4.5" Heckel, 3.5" PB and 3" BT) at a LFS and invested in an RO/DI system, so we have total control over the chemistry situation now. The discus share the tank with 8 marbled hatchets, 7 Pristellas, and 10 Rummynose Tetras, as well as 4 German Rams (1 pair) an Apistogramma Ortmanni and a bushynose pleco.

We've had the discus about a week now and they are all doing well. The Blue Turquoise is a little stunted looking and not 'perfect', but my daughter Faith really wanted him and so we bought him. He has been eating like crazy, so I'm hoping he'll grow into a handsome fish. The big Heckel is definitely the boss of the tank. He's a little dark, but I believe this is because the gravel and part of the backing of the tank are black. He eats great and is quite active, and also is not afraid of people.

My wife is a music teacher and professional musician. I am a composer, producer and performing musician. I also like ship modeling as a hobby, and before you ask- no, I don't put the finished models in the aquariums
    I've only made one post prior to this one, but really like this forum. I am interested in finding out more about Discus and growing my fish out to their maximum potential.

Thumbs up Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

hey is there anyone form the philadelphia area out here in discus land?let me know.
    Thanks DAve

Hey Dave,
    I live in Wynnewood pa. Suburbs of Philly. How about you?

Kenny,

Page 11 of 101 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast