AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 12 of 101 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Hey Kenny I live in Northeast Philadelphia.Right off 95.How many discus do you keep.Do you breed or just keep a tank full of them sort to speak.
    Let me know.It would be great to have a discus buddy in the area.
    DAve

Want to welcome every who hasn't been here long. This is a great site with great sponsors and very knowledgeable people. Enjoy yourself.

I am from South Carolina and have learned a lot about discus from this site. I have a wife and 2 year old daughter. When I am not working I am taking care of my discus and chatting with all the great people here at Simply!
    ~Josh

Hi Dave,
    Welcome to SD. Great to see you are getting back in the discus hobby. You are welcome anytime to come and see my discus set up. I have been keeping discus since the late 80's and at the moment I have about 14 tanks going, which changes almost on a daily basis. I selectively breed to develop fish I like. I almost always have babies around. Hope to hear from you.

Kenny

Now we are at it again and are really serious this time. We have converted our 125g show tank (lately an African tank) to Discus. We bought three Discus (4.5" Heckel, 3.5" PB and 3" BT) at a LFS and invested in an RO/DI system, so we have total control over the chemistry situation now. The discus share the tank with 8 marbled hatchets, 7 Pristellas, and 10 Rummynose Tetras, as well as 4 German Rams (1 pair) an Apistogramma Ortmanni and a bushynose pleco.
    Callen
    Let me welcome you to SD. This is a great site to learn all about keeping discus. There is no need to have RO water to keep discus. I grow out all of my discus including Heckels in rock hard water. I have well water and it is rock hard. I too used to keep African chiclids. I do use RO water for breeding purposes. Both the general and carbonate hardness has to be low for the eggs to hatch. Discus can live quite happily and grow in hard water as long as it is clean and stable.
    Good luck with your discus.
    Joe

Smile Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

My name is Jim Anthony and I live in Denver, CO. I'm 45 and live with my partner of 5 years in downtown Denver. I had two West Highland White Terriers in addition to all my fish. I've had aquariums since I was 12 years old, have always loved them. I used to stop in the local fish store after school every day to see what they had. I've had angels and an Amazon community tank for many years. I tried discus about 12 years ago without much success and I gave up. I recently decided to give it another try. I started with reading all I could about them. I now have two discus tanks, a 40g and a 50g, both are planted with Amazon Swords and have several pieces of wood. I'm doing two 30% water changes per week and using about 80% RO water. My ph stays at about 6.4 and I keep the temp right around 84. The tap water is fairly hard here so its difficult to get the ph down here unless you use RO water, at least that's what I've found. All the discus seem to be doing quite well so far. They eat voraciously and swim around a lot, their fins are fully extended and their eyes look good - so so far so good. I do have one fish that seems to be very shy, he/she stays in a hollowed cave area on a piece of wood almost all the time and only comes out for a couple bites of food when I feed them. Do you think he's sick or just extra shy? When he does come out he looks fine, no obvious signs of disease. I was glad to find this forum and other folks who are as into their fish as I am.
    50 g Amazon community
    50 g discus
    40 g discus

Well here I go. My name is Jarred I am 30 soon to be 31 and I am from Missoula Mt. I have an 8yr old daughter 3 cats, 2 dogs 4 tanks and one of the most understanding fiance's in the world. I like most on here have been into aquariums for a long time. The first water critter I had was a fire newt I kept in a gold fish bowl. I was 6 I think. It didnt last long. After that ordeal I got my first tank well my folks got a tank and I learned how to take care of it. When I hit about 10 I guess I got my own tank. It was a gold fish tank that I cared for for several years. Well that tapped out my interest and I got into reptiles until I was 16. I had an 11' Burmese python in a cage I built that was 3' tall and the size of a queen bed. Yes my bed was on top of the cage. I ended up having to get rid of the snake due to my mother getting a mini Dachshund and the snake got out while I was at school and apparently tried to eat my moms dog. Then When I came home to put him in the cage it tried several times to bite me soooo off to the pet store for some in store credit. I ended up seeing a 135 gallon I had to have and the credit wasnt enough so I got a job working under the table at the LFS to get the tank I wanted. I stocked it with Oscars, Severums, plecos and some various cichlids. I had overflows and a sump and to make a long story short the check valve failed on the return side(return tube was in the bottom of the tank) and flooded my parents basement. I learned how to do sheet rock and trim work that summer!!

So with my new found energy with the 135 I set out to make a fool proof design to keep all of the water in the tank. I had the 135 until I was 18 when I then got into salt water. I started small and eventually ended up with a 75gal reef. It was amazing to say the least. But on a cold Montana winter night I got into it with my daughters mother and had to move out of our place and I lost almost everything. That was enough of fish tanks for me for a while. I started into fish again because my daughter wanted a little tank. We got her a 5gal. tank with a couple gold fish and then for Christmas we got her a 15gal tank and let her pick out some better fish. She ended up with some white clouds, 1 gold fish, peacock eel, 3 gouramis and a dwarf frog. I got sucked into watching it one night and the next day I got on craigslist and bought a 110t. complete with everything but fish and substrate. After doing some research I decided I want live plants and discus. So here I am at present day with a 180gal hi tech planted Stendker discus tank. As soon as I get my new house built I will be getting a big tank finally. I also want to say thank you to all that have helped me so far and I want to thank you for all of the help I will need!!
    Last edited by cyberhog05; 04-15-2009 at 02:34 PM.
    Jarred

Hi ya Jarrod! I prolly never gave ya the warm welcome to "SD" so I will now...

Glad ya got back on yer feet again and into the hobby. Its all downhill from here. Or is that uphill?
    Mark

Registered Member

HEY!!!! My name is Brian and I am 19 years old. I have been into planted tanks for about a year now, and I think i have gotton pretty decent at growing plants.I am part of the forum, miapg.com (michigan aquatic plant group, join us if your intrested) over the summer I am going to buy a 125 gallon (or bigger) and I am going to start a discus planted aquarium. thats right, a discus planted. So i joined this website to help me prepare and do some reserch and to talk and meet people before i actualy get my self into this. ill be asking alot of qusitons, hopefully i dont get anoying.. thank you!!!!

-brian

Hi Brian,
    Welcome to Simply Discus. There is nothing more beautiful than a planted discus display tank. You are in the right place for help with your new venture into discus.
    Good luck!

Kenny

Great to meet you Brian, welcome to Simply! It is a great place with lots of interesting people and tons of information.

Hope you find everything you are looking for,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

hola, my name is carlos quintero, im from colombia, i just moved 2 month ago to washington. i graduated from medical school 3 years ago.
    I used to breed discus back in my home country for 15 years.
    i just love discus, i hope to start again here with discus, but i want to start with albinos.
    hope i get to know all of u.
    hope the best for all of you.

Hi, everyone my name is john (dubiadiscus). I'm farily new too the site and so far i have been enjoying it. My wife and I are starting to finally get are life back in order after i have been jobless for 2 years now,but i finally have one i work for the post office and my wife works at caribou coffee as a manager. I live in Clarkston, Michigan I have 3 girls who i love and devote my life to each and everyday. I have had discus in the past many moons ago and im getting the bug again to get them. Im in the stages of seting up a 75 gallon tank and getting it ready for discus. I currently have a 29 gallon with with a couple of different breedes of chicilids. Well that enough about me for now im glad to be a member here and i plain on enjoying this community more.

Registered Member

i suppose i should do an introduction, Hello my name is Marek i live in Edmonton AB and have been doing discus for about 6 months, i don't have a lot of experience with them but i did have wild angel fish before and fancy plecos have been along for the ride the whole time, i currently have one "golden sunrise" discus or at least that's what i like to call him, as he looks like a gorgeous sunrise and i'm horrible with names, one Wild Tefe Green Discus (heckel) who is the alpha female of the group and makes sure everyone gets along, one wild red turquoise discus(or at least i'm pretty sure its wild the black bars when its showing emotion gave it away, it could be F1 though i dont know) and last but not least the little baby red striped snakeskin who is the baby of the group. i got into discus because angel fish are fun but why drive a ford when you can drive a Nissan if you know what i mean. i have a lot to learn but i have really enjoyed them thus far and i know with time hopefully i will learn to treat them better

Hey there Marek, great to meet you. Hope you find lots of information. Just to touch on your types of discus, a Wild Tefe Green is just a green discus, not a heckel. A heckel is a whole other animal. A red turquoise is a man made (hybrid) although there are some very nice red turqs that have been created in the wild, very nice looking too. If you post pictures of your fish in the photo gallery, you can get some better/exact names for your fish.

Good luck with you learning and hope you enjoy yourself. Lots of good people here and the Simply Team is second to none.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Carlos, John an Marek...Pleasure to meet you guys and welcome to "SD"! Pull up a chair chat and share your experiences with us. Glad ta have you guys aboard!
    Mark

Page 12 of 101 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast