ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 13 of 101 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Registered Member

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Hi; My name is Michael, in Princeton Junction, NJ. I am new to the board and have kept discus on and off for many years. I currently am running about 1400 gallons with 80+ discus including some wilds (would love contacts about them as well as all). I use only RO water and all seem well. Just got back in and things seem to be settling down.
    I am a violinist and a teacher; other hobbies I am passionate about gardening, aquascapes, and discus of course. Also, very much love teaching and am a great student myself.
    I hope to hear from people and learn. Am hoping to be included in the competition to grow out as I have the entire summer off and plently of time and it does sound like fun, a return to childhood competition.
    That's about it.
    Best to all, MB
    More about me at www.michaelbandimere.com
    As well as all contact information.

My name is Ryan and I live in Richmond Virginia. I have been fish-keeping for over 10 years but somewhat recently got into Discus and now keep them almost exclusively.

I have 4 tanks right now that I keep:

125 - 15 Discus of different strains (6 Wild Heckels)
    30 - Angelfish Breeding Tank
    20 - Class N Endler tank

55 - I keep this running as a QT/Holding/Breeding tank as needed. Right now it is empty but running. My plan is to pick a breeding pair out of my 125 and keep them in here. It is a lightly planted tank with Driftwood. My goal is to get a breeding pair of Wild Heckels into this tank! That is why it is not a bare-bottom breeding tank...

I came from another forum over to here because there is not much interest in Discus on that forum. It kind of disappointed me that there was not as much interest in Discus as I thought there should be.... I am one of the top posters on that site and have donated a great amount of time and money to it but more people care about their sick bettas and their neon tetras that could care about Discus.... I dont get it!?

Anyhow I come here to hopefully learn some more, provide others with what little knowledge I have of Discus and to hopefully become one of the lucky few to breed Wild Heckels.... maybe help others to do it!!

Ryan,

Welcome! This is the place to learn! I learn something new almost daily. Have fun!

Best wishes!!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

hello all,

computers are not my thing, nor is typing or spelling or grammar or writing of any fashion.
    so the forum thing is new to me, however i am here.
    i am here because of the fish.
    discus fish.
    ive kept lots of fish.my original favorites were the clown loach and Geophagus jurupari.
    now i have discus. they are the best , they are awesome maybe even super awesome.
    so now i am here on this forum thing because i want to keep my discus happy and healthy and its fun to talk to other people about this super awesome fish.
    So please excuse my poor typing ,spelling grammar and ramblings.

thank you for reading my post thing, goodbye

Welcome and no problem! I am pretty new here myself... I personally have kept Discus for a little while and I agree that Discus are awesome

Registered Member

My name is Gerry and I am pretty new to the whole aquarium keeping hobby. I recently started my first 55g freshwater about 2 months ago. I find this hobby to be extremely interesting and I enjoy it very much. I discovered and became very interested in the discus fish. I decided, after doing research, that I would give a discus a shot so I did. Right now I have one royal blue discus who I call "Disco". He isn't a perfect discus but I love the little guy. When I realized he was only using one gill to breath I stumbled upon this forum when looking for a cure to his gill flukes. Well I already ordered some medication and I am very glad I found this place. I have already learned a lot by just looking around.

Mic & Disco,

Welcome! This site is great. Learn lots! Glad to have you on board!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Hello, my name is Luli and I live in Georgia. I have kept fish most of my life and I discovered discus when I was in college. I have been lurking around this forum for a while and I appreciate the willingness of everyone to share information. Presently I am looking to get new discus for my 55 gallon tank. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Niev View Post
    Hello, my name is Luli and I live in Georgia. I have kept fish most of my life and I discovered discus when I was in college. I have been lurking around this forum for a while and I appreciate the willingness of everyone to share information. Presently I am looking to get new discus for my 55 gallon tank. Thanks.
    Nice to meet you Luli and very big welcome to Simply Discus! Hope you find everything that you are looking for here. Best of luck finding your new discus. If there is one bit of info that I think is most important, its quality fish to start out with.

All the best,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

My name is Arapaimag. I have 100 plus tanks and enjoy many of the tropical and marine fish in the hobby. My favourite fish is the Arapaima gigas and I have 2 of them. I also keep Lungfish (SA, African and Australian), Arowanas (Silver, Jardini and Formosa), Piranha (Both genus and several species), Clown triggers, Honeycombe eel, Royal Gramma, marine angels, damsels etc. I enjoy & keep Goldfish & Koi, Rosy yellow minnows & Golden Orfe, Cichlids (Central, South American and African), Stingrays, Gars, Aba Aba, Fire & tire track eels, Electric eels, Many genus & species of catfish, Many mid to large barbs, Goramy, Monos and characins. I also have a 120g tank with 6 discus. I like Discus Hans and Jack Wattley discus.
    Arapaimag's 15,000 gallon tank video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n8FlwXmHP0
    Arapaimag's 52,000 gallon tank video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j6JAJeGRzI
    Building Arapaimag’s 52,000 gallon tank http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8952

Quote Originally Posted by arapaimag View Post
    My name is Arapaimag. I have 100 plus tanks and enjoy many of the tropical and marine fish in the hobby. My favourite fish is the Arapaima gigas and I have 2 of them. I also keep Lungfish (SA, African and Australian), Arowanas (Silver, Jardini and Formosa), Piranha (Both genus and several species), Clown triggers, Honeycombe eel, Royal Gramma, marine angels, damsels etc. I enjoy & keep Goldfish & Koi, Rosy yellow minnows & Golden Orfe, Cichlids (Central, South American and African), Stingrays, Gars, Aba Aba, Fire & tire track eels, Electric eels, Many genus & species of catfish, Many mid to large barbs, Goramy, Monos and characins. I also have a 120g tank with 6 discus. I like Discus Hans and Jack Wattley discus.
    Welcome to SD! It sounds like you have a great amount of experience! It's nice to have new points of view and you seem to be pretty well rounded. Enjoy the site! I know I do!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Wink Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Hi, I'm Russ. Twelve years ago I gave up breeding/keeping Discus for health reasons. At that time I had a basement full of fish. I had nine breeding pairs with tanks of babies of all sizes. I also was spending 4 to 6 hours a day doing the usual Discus stuff!

I NEVER HAD A SICK FISH! I believed in the KISS system and peat and sulfuric acid! (Jim Quarles) bless his soul!

My tanks routinly went to a PH of 3.9 no misprint, 3.9. Jack Taylor can verify that. I would draw down 20% of the tank and refill with a PH of 5.8! Fish never skipped a beat! happy as pigs in poop.

I also quarterly used Dick Au's treatment with potasium(sp) I had pairs that I could add others babies to and pairs that I would switch males/females etc.
    After my experiences of "restarting: after my health concerns were addressed, I'm shocked at the "crap" out there compliments of the convienience of the WEB!

I now have (finally) a tank full of healthy fish at breeding size and a pair of spotted snakeskins that still enjoy eating their eggs and or young. Something else I never had a problem with!

I'm keeping things small till our current home sells and I can again have a "basement" for a fish room. At that time I will call Cary Strong and Jack Taylor(if I ever figure out how to reach him) and add fish I can trust to be healthy.

I want to add some pictures, but I need another dose of "smart pills" to figure out how!

Russ
    ps; where's the spell check?
    Last edited by simpleton; 06-02-2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Hey Russ!

Welcome back! Good to have you. I love your background. Very interesting! Good luck on the home sale and rebuild of the fish room (basement).

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by arapaimag View Post
    Hi Mike
    Welcome to SD. It's good to see you here. If you keep discus this is THE PLACE.
    Joe

Registered Member

Russ,

Welcome to SD! I also enjoyed reading your background on fish-keeping. Hope you can add on to an already huge knowledge-base of information on caring for Discus.

It seems that I may not have introduced myself, not really my thing but since I'm here, why not.

Name is Shawn, and I'm from NYC. I was never really a fan of Discus(*gasp!*) as I thought they were weird looking and flat.. like Discs! I started caring for fish in my teens, and stopped as I went to high school and college. I started back in the hobby less than a year ago, and have learned much since then. The Internet has really re-ramped the way we get information.

I started with my old 10G tank, and started with Guppies. Within 2 months time, I've purchased a 46G and a bunch of sick Discus to keep the tank company(apparently I needed a challenge). With the help of SD and AC, I've gained an incredible amount of knowledge, and with the help of the Discus, experience with multiple Discus caring techniques. There's still much to learn, and hopefully with time, I'll be able to give back.

Page 13 of 101 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast