AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 101 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

and, MIKE!!

I knew someone was going to say that. I am so sorry, Mikey!!! You are such an Angel to this place and in such a short time too!

Marie~

Hi All,
    I'm John Mansueto, fine art landscape painter, freelance illustrator and staff artist at the "Fire Island Tide Newspaper"

Let me start at the beginning:
    First the Earth cooled, then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat and died...then the Arabs came and started drilling oil....Mmm, I think that's too far back...let me start over...

First I was born, which goes without saying.
    I didn't do my first water change until I started Discus...but that's skipping ahead...you all following me here???
    Good.

I live in Islip Hamlet, First Crown Patent 1683, Colonial Government Formed 1710.
    It must have been an English Colony. There is an Islip in England and another in Washington State I believe.
    Islip is located on the south shore of Long Island, New York.
    Some people think we Long Islanders have an accent, and pronounce it Long Guyland...maybe I'm just not hearing it. But I think my accent is all confused because lived and worked in NYC for a number of years and was around a lot of old Italian types.
    I spend much of my summers on Fire Island across the Great South Bay, a narrow barrier island that protects the mainland (Long Island) from the storms of the Atlantic Ocean.
    I'm a second generation Italian.
    My Father was born in the Bronx's and my Mom in NYC.
    I have two brother's, one older, one younger then me and a sister, who's the baby of the family.
    My Mom's side of the family owns a well know bakery in NYC called DeRobertis Pasticceria Est. 1904 by my great grandfather. It has been used as a location in a few movies and cable show such as Woody Allen's "Manhattan Murder Mystery" and the very first episode of "Sex in the City"
    I worked there (managed the store at nite, no, I do not bake, we hired people for that) for about 14 yrs while I slowly built my art career and established myself as an artist.
    It's only been the last few years that I have begun looking into and exploring the gallery scene, moving away from illustration, so far, so good.

I went to collage at Parsons School of Design, in NYC and received my BFA in 1983.
    I am an active collector of "American Flyer "S" Gauge Trains, but at the moment I have no layout...I always figured that when I retire (In Neveruary) I'll have a lot of toys to play with!!!
    I've always been the one in the family with all the pets.
    I've always had a fish tank of some sort. I've had turtles, chickens, rabbits, and most of all dogs. After my Golden Retriever "Monty" had to be put down because of cancer at 6 years of age, I couldn't bring myself to get another dog...that was almost two years ago.
    I get too darn attached to puppies and what happened to "Monty" truly broke my heart.
    So I decided that since I always wanted to try my hand at keeping Discus, now was as good a time as any. Which brings me to my first water change!!!
    Yeah!!!
    I'm sure there s something I left out...like, I'm single and will stay that way.
    I'll always remember the words of one of my teacher's at Parsons:
    "Don't get married, your an Artist, your already screwed up"
    I'm a big SciFi fan and was a "trekkie" for years until the greatest SciFi TV show of all time came out: "Babylon 5"
    In fact my quote below is from the last episode of the show and really says a lot if you think about it.
    "Beep-Beep"

My name is Marc Wong, i'm 27 and i live in New Orleans, Lousiana.

I was born and raised in Singapore where i spent the first 20+ years of my life. My first fish that i can remember having was when I was 5 or 6 or so. It was a pair red swordtails that my Great - Grandfather bought me. I still remember that it came in a an ice cream tub and i kept the tub my my bedside when i would go to bed every nite. Since then i've always had an aquarium in my bedroom, my fishies are the last thing I see before i go to bed at nite and first thing I see when i wake up in the morning.

I spent 4 years of my life in the military and most of those 4 years in the jungles of borneo training soldiers in jungle fighting and survival. Finally decided to go to college at the nice young age of 22, so i enrolled at the University of Michigan GO BLUE! It felt so good to be the only one who was of legal drinking age at the frat parties...

I've been breeding Angelfish and Bettas through college and supplied a couple of LFS with good quality fish, in order to help pay for some of my college expenses. (My job before college didn't leave me enough savings).

My fav hobby is photography.

Been working for a Naval Architecture firm in New Orleans for the past 2 years designing jack-up rigs and semi-submersible drilling platforms, and am loving every moment of it.

Currently i don't have any fish. They all had to go when Katrina struck and i got relocated to singapore / korea temporarily till New Orleans opens up again. But i'm hopeful that i'll return soon and those empty tanks will once again be filled.

Here's a screenshot from the local military publication.... I'm not crying.. it's the downwash from the chopper!
    Last edited by nacra99; 12-13-2005 at 03:28 AM.
    "There's always enough grace to keep breathing."

Red face Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Ok guess I'll tell a little about myself. I'm Jarrod..I live in Eagle Point Oregon which is just outside of Medford. I'm 51 yrs old. I'm disabled due to MS..I've been involved in the aquarium hobby (AKA addiction) since I was about 15 yrs. old. Back in the days of the metal frame tanks. At one point I had about 17 tanks all up and running at one time. Typical start with live bearers and related tropicals...progressed to cichlids and larger tanks...lol...go figure. I had 2 55 gal tanks up and going at one point with african cichlids and SA cichlids. I got out of the hobby after a move from Calif. up to WA...and then after being trnasferred down here fianlly getting back into tanks. Currently have a 15 gal set up with a few basic tropicals in it and am getting ready to set up another 55 and FINALLY keep and eventually try to breed the fish that I have loved since forever and never had the opportunity to raise. I found this site after searching for info on Discus and joined...have to say one of the best moves I made in learning more about Discus! I've met soo many great and knowledgeable people on here it's unreal!! I used to sort of work in a LFS years ago when I got into africans and SA's. I want to take the time here to thank ryan and all the moderators for this wonderful site and to thank all of the members here I've met and those I hope to meet. All your help and supportis a real godsend to me!Someday I just hope that I can help others like all of you have helped me. Thank you ALL for everything and the fun I'm having here and for all the input and support. you are ALL IMHO ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH and I almost forgot Al!!.....grrrrrrr...thanks all for settin up this site!!

Jarrod
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jarrod; 12-13-2005 at 10:18 AM.

My name is Angela Richardson. I live in Coweta, OK also known as green country. I have only been in the discus game for almost 4 years now. (I think, maybe 3) lol Me and my hubby were at a local fish store that had some. We had a few tanks of african chiclids and I thought the discus were awesome when I saw! Andrew had them and breed them back in the 80's but I had never had them. We decided to get some. He told me then to watch out because they were additing. I thought right!!! Boy was I ever wrong. Sent all the Africans to Tx for Andrews daughter to keep so that the 80 gal could turn into ANOTHER discus tank. I can't count how many discus we have now. We currently have 8 breeder tanks. A community tank of breeders we are not using at the moment. Another tank for young adults/future breeders. Then last but not least 4 grow out tanks and 1 hospital tank. Andrew just built our fish room which got done about 1-2 months ago. It is great.

I have a wonderful hubby named Andrew (Green Country Discus) we both enjoy the discus and it really helps out when both of us are doing water changes, fills, cleaning sponges, feeding, you know the routine. It's nice to enjoy the same hobby as your spouse. We are always together doing something. I enjoy hunting, fishing, camping games and watching football. Yes I love football. GO COWBOYS!!!!! (sorry) We have 5 kids between us. Jake-8, Samantha-12, Justin-15, Drew-17, Mandi-26 and son in law Mike-26, and a grand baby that is due the end of January. We have 1 dog, 2 cats and an african grey parrot (he is like a kid also). So needless to say, there is always something going on at our house. It's alot of fun though. The kids are wonderful, the younger ones will sometimes help with water changes or feeding. The two teenagers don't like the fish, we give them a hard time. We tell them they have to sleep out in the fish room with the discus if they get in trouble.

I work for the local police department. So needless to say I know everything that goes on in our town which is only about 8,000 people.

I am one of the newest moderators on the board and sponsors. I'm no expert but I am always willing to help if I can. I learned everything I know from Andrew, reading and research. Simply has been a great site. Lots of knowledge on this board. Everyone is so friendly and helpful.

Happy Holidays Everyone

Hey Angela~

I had to say what a great post! For real~ I never knew you were married to Andrew! I know, I'm outta the loop, ya think?

Sounds like a wonderful life, woman!!

Marie~

Thanks Marie Lets just wait and see what he posts. lol

He started one the other day and was doing emails, etc. at the same time. When he went to post it, it had logged him out and he lost everything.

Registered Member

Hi my name is Cliff Young, I live in San Francisco, California.
    I grew up in a family that had tanks inside and outside of our house, it was
    not until 1963 that I first saw and first bought some wild greens. I remember paying $10 for a semi adult Discus that was kind of expensive 42 years ago.

It was not until the Pigeon Bloods first came on the market that there was a
    large demand for the newbies and oldies to learn how to take care of these type
    of Discus. Not being a member of the San Francisco Aquarium Society(sfaquarium.org) I was asked if I wanted to head a Discus mentor group, this
    was in the early 90's. I did accept the position which had most of the meeting
    at the California Academy of Science. The group first started up with
    many members, many questions and too many levels from basic to semi-professional Discus keepers. As this Discus Group progress, I also
    moved into one of the board position, and still headed the Discus Group.
    As a board member there were also two other board members that were
    actively buying, selling and breedering Discus, so it was not to difficult
    for the board members to vote for a Discus monthly speaker. With that we
    were able to bring one speaker from Germany, one speaker for Asia
    and another speaker from the U.S.. The speaker from Germany was
    Heiko Blair, from Asia there was Wayne Ng, and from the U.S. the
    god father himself Jack Wattley.

During 1999 my start up business as a Aquarium Maintenance and consulting was taking
    most of my time, I resigned the Discus mentor group in Nov. 2000. There has not been any replacement since my resignation.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 12-16-2005 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks for posting everyone..I have really enjoyed getting to know you better !

Now how about the rest of the 5000+ members? Any more takers here?

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

umm....Candy.....I'm not seeing you here, babe....Now, why is that do you suppose?

hmm...........?

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

I am a native Oregonian and grandmother of six. Elected Justice of the Peace in 1994, my job entails hearings on small claims, evictions, traffic tickets and misdemeanors with the occasional wedding thrown in for good measure.I started keeping discus in 1999. I made all the beginner mistakes and sought help on the internet. Rafael Buffo's Discus Breeders Web Site (DBWS), one of the first internet discus forums had recently started up. It changed my life. I found people from all over the world as addicted to discus as I was! I found answers to my question, pictures of discus and learned the importance of water changes and stable pH.Over the years I have participated on many discus forums, becoming one of the first moderators. Currently I am a moderator at Simply Discus and have been there since its inception in 2002. I enjoy helping other discus keepers and answering their questions.In 2004 a group of hobbyists came together at the American Cichlid Association show in Denver, Colorado to form NADA. I was elected president and we set ourselves the task of starting a discus association from the ground up. During the first year by-laws were adopted, the club was incorporated as a non-profit, the website was built and now we have our first newsletter.I am just a small hobbyist with 6 or 7 tanks of discus scattered throughout my house. I breed for my own enjoyment and prefer brightly colored Asian imports. I enjoy fish shows and meeting with other discus keepers. Besides discus, I've kept Africans, Koi and goldfish. I enjoy reading, crocheting, walking and playing with my grandchildren.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Carol!

I have to say that is a great picture of you!

I take horrible pictures.....( of my fish too!)

Marie~

Registered Member

Hi, I'm Dan and live with my wife of 2 years in Watertown, WI along the beautiful Rock River. I have been in the aquarium hobby for 25+ years and ran my own aquarium maintenance business for 4 years. That was long enough to realize that I would rather spend my time doing water changes on my own tanks. I have since earned a degree in Environmental Geography, and currently work in the transportation divison of a large printing company.

My wife and I spent the past summer building a pond and landscaping the entire back yard. We still have a few odds and ends to finish next Spring, but are looking forward to sitting back and enjoying the hard work. My next project is to build my first ever, real fishroom. I currently have 5 assorted tanks scattered around the house with various African cichlid species. It would be nice to get everything in one room, so I could focus more on breeding and expanding my collection. I am trying to get away from the more common species, and would like to try breeding some of the rarer Tanganyikans.

I am like many folks here in that I studied all the books on how to keep discus (ie soft water, low ph, etc). I tried my best to alter our local water chemistry, bought what I now know were sick/stunted fish from the LFS, and then proceded to fail miserably in keeping discus alive and simply gave up. That was 15 years ago. Recently I got the bug to try it again, and stumbled upon this site. I have been lurking here for the last year trying to un-learn everything I though that I knew about these fish. I have a 90 gallon ready to go, and will be ordering some quality discus after the holidays.

Thanks for all of the information, and for making me feel welcome. I'm sure you will hearing from me again soon.
    Last edited by RockRiverfish; 12-18-2005 at 05:23 AM.

Alrighty then..my name is April as my avatar says..im getting old.... er. well not ancient..but not 20 either.
    I live in Vancouver B.C. i was born in the interior of bc canada. in the west kootenays. when i was quite young..i remember a department store that just opened was handing out free goldfish to kids. we got one each. guess how long they lasted? not long. most likely 7-10 days. lol. just enough time for the ammonia to go through the roof.
    my next experience was when i was in grade 7 our class had an aquarium. we got to take some home at the end of the year. i had lots in a goldfish bowl. no idea why they lived..i had a 3 spot gourami..mollys..swords etc etc. my aunt bought us an aquarium for xmas. a nice shiny silver edged one. i was in love. when i was a bit older my aunt bought me a book on breeding tropical fish. it had discus in there..and described how they used to take the babies away and theyd all die. and then they realized they need the milk off their bodies to survive. saw some in a lfs..but was told they are hard to keep. not to mention they were out of my price range..sure loved them though. eventually i saw someone selling babies in the paper. bought 6 turqs..meant to be wattley turqs..maybe a few generations back..didnt grow..runted out..but got me going.
    i went a bit out of control..and ive ordered many many shipments from many breeders. right now..ive cut back a bit as i took over the pet grooming salon ive worked at since i was 20. So..ive been doing some renovating and trying to improve it. i have 3 large plexi tanks for now. my goal is to get an automated system going..so i can do a bit more enjoying..and less work.
    ive kept discus for about 10 years now. time flies when your having fun. i cant imagine never having any.

Ok, my turn (thanks for pointing that out Marie!!! Brat!).

I am 26 and live in Santa Rosa, California. I was born in a little mountain town called Jackson, in California. Since I was young I have moved all over California, Nevada, Texas, and back to California. I got my G.E.D. In Feb. of 1997, and have since earned an AA degree from Santa Rosa Jr. College. In the fall I will be transfering to Sonoma State to earn a BA in Human development.

I moved to Santa Rosa with my boyfriend a year and a half ago. We decided when we had some extra money, that we would get a fish tank. My b/f was really into studying everything he could about fish. He got his first discus a few months after getting his 55 set up. That was when i fell in love. He was the cutest, friendliest little fish. He would follow us across the tank whenever we walked by, and would come and eat out of our hand. Shortly after, I bought a 36 gal. and received 2 discus as a birthday present from my dad. I loved them so much that I decided to get 2 more, but made the huge mistake of not qt'ing them! They all got sick and I have lost one. The rest are now in my b/f's tank with his other 7 discus and seem happier. I then got my 55 gal from out apt manager (for free!!!) and went on a little adventure with Marie to Cliff's where we both picked up 8 a babies. I am happy to say they are all thriving and growing in their new home.
    Since the incident of not qt'ing my fish, I have been online everyday trying to soak up and learn as much as I can about these beautiful fish. I even try to help out with questions from time to time, although I don't know much!!

Simply has been a wonderful place for me! I have made many great friends and have had the opportunity to even meet some! I hope to keep learning and growing as a hobbiest and eventually get to meet some more of the friends that I have made here!

Thanks to everyone who has made this place so great! l

Candy
    Candy

Page 2 of 101 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast