AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 101 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Registered Member

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Ok, I guess I will go next. I am 38 years old, married (to the same woman for 17 years) and have two kids that are growing faster than I can keep up with. I was raised in West Virginia, with a brief stay in the mid 70’s in Victorville, California and Casa Grande, Arizona. I left WV in 1986 to serve in the US Marine Corps. After being discharged from the Corps in 1990 I went to work in Charlotte NC as a police officer, I left Charlotte in 1991 and have been a NC State Trooper for the last 13+ years stationed in Salisbury NC. When I am not at work, most times I am S.C.U.B.A. diving as I am also a PADI certified open water scuba instructor.

I got into keeping tropical fish in the mid 90’s when I inherited 2 Oscars and a Jack Dempsey from one of my younger brothers when he decided to leave NC and go back home to WV. Needless to say with him just up and leaving I got a crash course in fish keeping and fell in love with it and over the next few years I grew in the hobby to 14 tanks ranging in size from 5 gallons to 125 gallons totaling a little more than 500 gallons scattered through out the house. Because information was not as easy to come by back then I gathered many books on Discus and made many a road trip to visit out of state hatcheries and talk with breeders to get any type of information I could. I have kept and breed the usual assortments of live bearers, and then got into Angels, Discus, and Oscars. I actually got burnt out on the hobby in 1999 after about 5 years. I found that I was keeping more fish for my family members than I was for myself, and since I was the only one tending to them and with the exception of the Discus and Angels the rest were not mine, I said “enough is enough” and walked away from the hobby. I currently only run one 125 gallon tank for a breeding pair of Oscars.

When I first found Simply I thought it was so cool that all this information was available in one place, and that breeders were willing to share their “hush hush trade secrets” with the new guys on the block. This was not the way it was 10+ years ago in the hobby. I am basically a Lurker on this forum. I visit often to try to stay current on what is happening in the Discus world and to gather ideas. I will chime in, if I have something of value to add or to share info I have found elsewhere. This is truly a wonderful resource, and if it would have been available in years gone by, I probably would never have left the hobby.

Best regards
    Dennis

P.S. I still remember when a Blue Diamond or a Marlboro Red were fetching $250.00+/ fish at quarter size.

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Now, tell me Candy Dear, what was so hard about that? You are such a integrate part of Simply, you Simply had to post!

Very nice, woman!

Merry Christmas Candy to you and Mike!

Marie~

OK ..... I'll Bite!

Short & Sweet tho .... lol.

My Name is Rick Davis, I'll be 45 in January and I've lived in Baltimore, MD my whole life and i actually live right next door to my parents house where i grew up. I'm in the process of buying the house now. My father had bought it when our neighbors passed away and me and him completely gutted it and rebuilt it.

I was in the printing business ever since high school and about 5 years ago i started my own printing company cause i was tired of making everyone else rich. I run my business from home to avoid all the over head and also avoid all the walk ins that just 1 one copy of something ..... lol.

I'm in the middle of a 10 year plan to build up my business and find someone to run it for me when I'm 50 so i can retire and do some traveling. So far I'm way off schedule of being able to do that but a few more good customers in the future will hopefully get me back on track. Anyone here need some commercial printing done?? I offer excellent quality at reasonable prices and shipping is no problem! I take a lot of pride in my work and i wont sell anything i wouldn't purchase myself!

I'm not married but have been living with my fiancee for almost 12 years so in all reality i really am married just without that little piece of paper .... lol. Sandy ..... my better half .......... has made a huge change in my life and I'm a better person now because of her.

She has always kept fish but i was never really into it that much and we had 3 small tanks and decided to get a large tank to combine them in. Well i found a great deal on a 100 gallon tank and it came with 2 discus and i fell in love with them real quick.

After reading some books on discus that i got with the tank and then doing some research on the net about them ....... i found this site and have since been intrigued with wanting to breed them myself. I just picked up a 30 gallon tank for a breeding pair and am picking up a 55 tomorrow and hope to have them setup by the end of the holidays and purchase some juvies to grow out and maybe a pair for the breeder tank.

I've learned a lot from this site and the members here are fantastic. I find myself checking in here many times each day to see what new info i can learn and also to try to help others too ............ even know I'm still learning!

I'll be here for a long time to come!!

edit: Well i thought it would be short & sweet ...... lol
    Last edited by CAGE-RATTLER; 12-20-2005 at 08:22 PM.

Merry Christmas Marie
    To you and A, and T!!!!

Candy
    p.s. you know i don't
    like talking about me!!!
    Candy

Real Name
    Mike

Merry XMAS ladies and gentlemen (my friends) , especially some of you,,,you know who you are !!!!!

Merry X-mas to you and yours Mike!!! And to the rest of the Simply family too!!!

Candy

Registered Member

Wink Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Hi Guys,
    Guess i am one of the very new members in this fantastic forum that has helped me learn so much about discus. I only joined simply about 4 days ago!

My name is Derrick Li and i am from Singapore,living in Hougang estate. I am 19 this year and currently serving my national service in the Singapore police force.My family consists of 5 members namely me,my dad,my mum and 2 brothers aged 13 and 8yrs.

Fishes have been a part of my life ever since the day i was born as prior to my birth,my dad was already rearing goldfishes in this pagoda shaped tank. As i grew up,he imparted skills to me like how to wash the fish tank as well as how to manually suck the water out from the tank.Eventually,i took over the entire tank from him and we shifted all the goldfishes over to a 3ft tank that was given by my father's friend.After the goldfishes died of old age,i started keeping small fishes like neon tetras and guppies in BB's. Occasionally,i had a potted plant or 2 in the tank for decoration but i never planted them in substrate or removed them from their pots. In the end,the leaves just turned yellow and rotted away but i never knew the reason why then. I then went on to keep arowanas in the 3ft tank but they soon outgrew it and i managed to convince my dad to purchase a larger 5ft tank. Eventually,i gave up keeping arowanas as the cost of keeping them was far too high. In 1999,i chanced upon a LFS with a planted tank and that sparked my interest in planted tanks.I have been keeping planted tanks since then. Took an interest in discus this year and there are now 8 juvenile turquoise as well as a juvenile snow white in the tank together with my other fishes like cardinals.

Plan to persue further studies after completing my national service however,in Singapore there are no courses related to aquariums and fish keeping. Looks like i will have to settle for a business course as i plan to set up an LFS as a part time hobby if it is within my means.

A picture of my planted tank is shown
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome, Derrick! You will like it here~ ( feels like home!)

Nice tank!!

Marie~

Hello All,

My name is Srini and I live the San Franciso Bay Area. Moved to the U.S. from India back in 1983. I have been married for 19 years to an absolutely wonderful woman that I met and fell in love with in grad school. We lived in the midwest (Kansas and Missouri) for a long time then moved to N.Carolina for a couple of years and moved to the Bay Area almost 10 years ago. I work as a Software Engineering Manager for a Biotech company. We have two wonderful kids; the 13-year old doesn't care much about the fish. She is too busy with her "life". My 8-year old son is hooked to the hobby and inspired me to get into the Discus hobby as soon as he saw his first discus in a book (!!!) and kept pestering me to get one!!
    And, here I am, fully addicted to the Discus hobby. I started with a 37 gal tank and then quickly got a 29gal that is now in the garage. And still negotiating with my lovely wife about upgrading to a larger tank I now have a pair of golden/yellows (I just go by the color for now!), a pigeon blood and a fairly good size blue cobalt. I have befriended Kenny in Daly City (screenname: loverboy) and have become even more addicted to the hobby since.
    My brother runs a LFS in my hometown in India and has been giving long-distance advice over the phone (pricey!!) He has bred a number of varieties of discus and arowanas in India. He currently imports his stock from Singapore and Malaysia. I have been contemplating investing in his business to keep the family thing going.

Looks like there are number of members in the SF Bay Area - large enough to get together once in a while and exchage ideas/thoughts/tips or just shoot the breeze!!

BTW, Cage-Rattler, I come from a printing background as well. My dad is 78 and still runs a printing press in India!!! We should chat sometime!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All!!!!
    Last edited by sugio; 12-22-2005 at 04:25 PM.

Well I see that Al always waits for me to be outta town to start up the interesting posts....

Hi, I am the most prominent kiwi on here, the only active on here representing a population of just 4 million people...

The flag you see in my avatar is the NEW ZEALAND MAORI flag, the only flag I recognise cause I do not recognise the queen and the so called english empire that only colonised NZ. The maoris are the rightfull owners of this country

my name is Jason Fonseca and I am a new zealander living and working in France.... BUT I write you this while I am visiting my beautiful country down under....

I am 27 years old, married with one child of 2 and a half years old.

I love discus and my motivation for being on here is people like Al who bend over backwards to help people out and also for people like Marie that make us laugh... I have met some pretty cool damn people on here like my trusty friends Jim, Brian, Mario, Barb and the list goes on.......................

I cant wait to go back to france now and thats only because I have 6 blue diamonds to pick up.... LOL

well I gotta keep it short so thats it for me...

Jas

's Back!

Last edited by Kindredspirit; 12-29-2005 at 01:55 AM.

Hi all, my name is Russ. I'm currently living in Las Cruces, NM which will soon be the home of the new spaceport. I recently started back into school after working on a submarine in the Navy for the last 5 years, and I am currently pursuing a degree in electrical engineering. I did a lot of work with communications equipment and electronics in the service so I'm building on that.

I can be an egghead at times, but my life abroad in other countries has opened my eyes. I enjoy watching sports, socially drinking a few beers, maybe some wine when I pawn it off my parents (who until recently were E.J. Gallo execs), and just kick back.

I currently am mainly running a 55 gallon and 20 gallon aquarium (both planted). The 20 has some bolivian rams, snails, and otos in it while the 55 is my wild discus tank with about 6 of them. I really didn't know anything about the hobby until recently when I moved here last year I just kind of fell into it when I bought a tank. I mainly wanted something I could look at when studying that wasn't a television. I only just started keeping wilds in the last few months actually, but already I'm an addict. There isn't any decent source of Discus that I've found in my area and if my local LFS had them I wouldn't trust them at all. Instead I buy them whenever I visit my family and bring them home on flights. My next big project will probably be a moderate 55 gallon reef aquarium.

-Russ

Hey everyone,

My name is Adrian and I am from Columbus Ohio. I am 27 years old and have a beautiful wife and a son who is soon to turn 3. I am training him to do water changes so he can take over for his old man one day I began keeping fish when my uncle and parents collaborated to get me a ten gallon setup when I was a kid. Enlisted in the Marines for four years after highschool and got out in July of 2001. Went to college and got my associate's degree at Columbus State. Right now I am applying for the State Highway Patrol here in Ohio. I have been fascinated with discus all of my life but only recently decided to make the jump. Love every minute of it. I also love blue rams and I am on Simplycichlids.com as well. (Great place for rams ) I have learned so much on this forum- it is a tremendous resource for all discus keepers. I do not post all that much but I am working on that.

Adrian
    Phillipians 4:4-7

Registered Member

Well, I guess it's my turn.

My name is Huy. I'm turning 21 next month. I was born in Vietnam, moved to the States about 9 years ago. I've been living in Raleigh, NC ever since. I love this country. IMHO, this country is the best country to live in if you're hard-working. I'm currently studying to be a pharmacist at University of North Carolina. Go TarHeels! I've had discus when I was little kid, but I wasn't old enough to take care of them, so they always ended up dying. About 2 months ago, I've decided to try discus once again, and so far, no problems thanks to this site. My goal eventually is to have a planted discus show tank one day when I have a real job.

Registered Member

Hi my name is Brian and i live in Cincinnati, Ohio. I started the hobby 17 years ago when i told my wife that i always wanted a tank butt knew nothing about fish. She told me well lets get one and find out about them. So we went and bought a 55 gal. tank and a Oscar and headed home. I knew so little about fish that 4 or 5 Oscar died(quit laughing it not funny). Until i met a person who could explain the nitro cycle and water conditioning. Then i was able to grow a Oscar to full size. At this point i thought i was the man boy was i wrong. Next i came across an Angel fish i thought surly i could keep this alive wrong again till i learned that these where warm water fish.
    So from here i start getting my library full of books so i could learn all could about these fish. I learn enough to get them to breed and so i had filled a two bed apartment with fish tanks about 50 of them in all. Since then i have done Reef tanks for friends and a plant tank for my self. And have failed at Discus once so far. Butt this was before I owned a computer so as you know a lot of books are out of date. With new information and you nice people helping me i hope to be able to keep Discus coming at the end of February. That's my story and i am sticking to it. lol

Page 3 of 101 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast