ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 33 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Welcome to SD, Bill....
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

Hi folks! New here and new to discus, but not new to fishkeeping. I'll be sharing some pics once I get my post count up to where it needs to be!

Welcome JC
    Jennie,

Really great to meet all the new folks! Can't wait to see pictures of your fishes.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member dadecountyalan's Avatar

hello

lol, very informative
    Jennie,

Quote Originally Posted by dadecountyalan View Post
    hello
    A man of few words.
    Pete
    MAGA

Alright, here goes.......I'm Tom, I am 49 years of age, no really, i have not been 49 yrs for 10 years, i am really 49. Wow, where does the time go. I am a Breadman by trade. Lois and I have 3 kids and 5 grandkids. This is a tough hobby for I am a touring motorcycle Rider as well. haven't covered all the states yet but we will. ( yes, she rides with.) Bike of choice, Honda Goldwing. Also love to bowl and carrying a 214 average this year. So, about 4 years ago we decided to get an aquarium and some fish ( yeah, all in the same day). it was an uphill climb from there, got them for the grandkids when they would come over. I thought to myself one day, maybe i should read up on this hobby a bit to see if i am doing something wrong. ( for some reason the fish kept dying) Nytrogen cycle?? that might have something to do with things. Oh how i could go on and on. but hey, you live and learn. and learning is what i continue to do. After beginning to feel a bit better about the whole hobby, i decided to put together an African Tank. which is still up and the Yellow fins had some Fry a couple weeks ago. that was exciting. Then, back in October, after years (probably 2) of reading and learning and talking myself out and back into keeping Discus, i finally decided to give it a shot. Enjoyable to say the least. I got my first few Discus cheap, thinking i would save some money. I know, most reading this are at this time saying, bad Idea!! it was, several are stunted and have different issue's with them. But, i am doing my best with them and using this as a stepping stone to greater things in the future. Certainly can't get rid of them at this point and they are healthy, growing and eating all the time. always though, they run and hide when i enter the room. I am certainly hooked and am actually in the middle of painting a 55 gl in the basement that will house more Discus. My bestfriend and wife is taking this all very well, even has given me my own "Fish Room". Although, i think it had more to do with getting her living room back then allowing me to have a fish room.
    This is a very knowledgeable group of people when it comes to Discus and have already learned so much from you folks, i do thank everyone for caring enough to share your expertise with others.
    Thats about all for now, Again, thanks and keep it comin'
    Tom

I'm Bill Triplett and live in Southern California. I haven't had any Discus for probably 20 years but would like to start again. I'm a self employed graphic designer (websites, catalogs, etc) so have the time to devote to a few discus. I go back to Mr. Friswald (sp) in Alta Dena Ca and Mr. Chan in San Francisco. Doubt anyone remembers the names. Well, I'll be watching the forum and hope to have a breeding pair soon.
    Last edited by rdub; 01-11-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Registered Member

Hi, my name is Jackie. I am 51 years old, almost a empty nester. I live in the Boston area. I have been raising fish since I was 12 years old. I use to raise and breed african cichlids and discus. I have a koi pond for the last 10+ years. Getting back into discus. got myself a 90 gallon in my living room. glad I found this site. chock full of info. planning to travel the east coast looking for some nice discus.

Good to have you Tom, Bill and Jackie.
    Pete
    MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by dghby View Post
    My bestfriend and wife is taking this all very well, even has given me my own "Fish Room". Although, i think it had more to do with getting her living room back then allowing me to have a fish room.
    Tom
    Haa , well traded for both
    welcome to SD Tom
    Natalia

We're here for a good time...not a long time..

Welcome Bill and Jackie , hope to see lots of pictures of yr fishes
    Natalia

We're here for a good time...not a long time..

I'm new to discus fish but not new to fish keeping. I have 4 tanks now with Tanganyikan cichlids in them, a couple tanks with peacocks, 1 with datnoids and a gar and a tank used for guppies and other fry. I just started discus for the wife and fell in love with all the different beautiful fish not that my fish aren't. I hate to say most my focus is on discus and I like it...lol. Oh yes I have one tank with 6 assorted 2.5"- 3.5" discus in it and they take most my fish time. My other tanks take care of themselves with weekly water changes. I can see my ratio of discus to other cichlids shifting slowly. Shame it has to happen one tank at a time. I used to have saltwater but stopped because of the money and the time keeping good water quality envolved...lol. Discus is about the same...lol.
    I'm glad I found this place

Tito
    Last edited by Joker43; 01-13-2011 at 09:03 PM.

Welcome to SD Tito.....You're not alone, we all feel the same about our discus. It is a TRUE addiction.
    Pete
    MAGA

Page 33 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast