ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 39 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Six..

Hello !
    Michael
    Current tanks: 150g - Discus / Planted setting up...
    Old tanks: 180g - Discus / Planted, 180g - SPS Coral, 120g - Discus, 125g+120g SPS Coral, 125g Oscars

My name is Michael and I live in Florida. Currently I'm getting rid of my saltwater set up and slowly getting ready for the discus in my 120g tank that I have set up two days ago. I did use water and equipment from an established 55g tank that in turn used established filters and water from a 30g tank so hopefully cycling won't take too long.
    Michael
    Old tanks: 180g - Discus / Planted, 180g - SPS Coral, 120g - Discus, 125g+120g SPS Coral, 125g Oscars

But I plan on at least one month of cycling/establishing before I purchase any discus. For the source of discus I have chosen Hans.
    Michael

Will probably order around 10-11 discus from Hans and get some tetras from a LFS near by. Tetras likely to be added to the tank long before the discus will be.
    Michael

nine
    Michael

10 o.O
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by raidendex View Post
    Will probably order around 10-11 discus from Hans and get some tetras from a LFS near by. Tetras likely to be added to the tank long before the discus will be.
    Welcome to SD, raidendex!

I really like the Stendkers too.
    -dec

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by ericatdallas View Post
    1000th post! Wow, that went fast! So I guess after spending so much time here I probably should introduce myself... seems like a fitting way to commemorate this milestone!

My name is Eric (not Erica) and I live in Dayton, OH. I have a wife, three kids (18 months, 2 months and 2 months), a dog, and fish (13 discus) with plans for several more in the next couple weeks (all discus, 10-12 more)...

I got my first fish tank when I was 6 and I remember many trips to the pet store returning dead fish and also many trips to the toilet to say goodbye. I've had a fish tank since then (and a couple of turtle tanks) except for a few years when I joined the Air Force and was traveling a lot. Even then, I was waiting for the right time to get back into the hobby.

I kept procrastinating (life stuff) but my wife finally convinced me that it's something I've been talking about forever (and she was sick of hearing me keep talking about it) so I should get one. Her primary convincing argument, "Our kids will really enjoy it and I think they can learn alot about science and stuff" and now that I wasn't going to be traveling as much it was the perfect time. So anyway, long story short I bought my 'first' tank 11 months ago (55G on Craigslist from Kevin Joseph), then quickly bought two more 75G (Jack's had a $1/G sale and another CL), and I will probably buy 1-2 more 30-55G in the next month :P

Anyway, here's to another 1000 or until you get sick of reading my crap
    Congratulations for the mark, Eric. Nice to know more about you. It has been always a pleasure to interact with you and read your posts.

Real Name
    Gerald Mann

Hello fellow discus lovers!
    My name is Gerald Mann, and I am Canadian! Originally from Winnipeg, Manitoba, I have lived in Calgary for the past 25 years. I started keeping tropical fish at quite a young age, and have had a tank or more ever since. I started keeping discus when we first moved to Calgary, and had some early success with breeding at that time. Twenty years ago we built a log house out of town, and found that our water was better suited for Africans rather than discus, so I had to give away my last fish.
    About four years ago we moved back into the city to be closer to work and school...and it took me a couple of years to rennovate a 1956 bungalow we are currently living in...but now I have been back to keeping discus for about a year and a half. I started up by purchasing a used 120 gal with a 40 gal sump, and fired up my old 33 gal for a quarantine/ breeding tank.
    This past spring i purchased a breeding setup that a local craftsman had put together and was no longer using. This included six 24 gal breeding tanks on a central filter system, two 50 gal grow out tanks, a brine shrimp hatchery and a sick tank. So far I'm up to 30 discus, mostly cobalt blues and pigeons.
    When i'm not doing water changes, I parent two teenage sons, and look after my dear wife, who supports my discus addiction. I "retired" from teaching/administration almost 5 years ago, and am currently retraining to be a hospital chaplain. I will be working full time starting this fall in a hospital here in Calgary in their residency program for chaplains/spiritual care.
    I also enjoy woodworking, gardening, and I'm kind of into Volvo's. i have a 1970 1800E, which I am working on. It is similar to the car that Roger Moore drove in the British series "the Saint".
    I also enjoy singing - male choir and quartet - and reading.
    I do not sing to my discus, but you never know, they might like it.
    I look forward to "meeting" many of you, as we share our joys, sorrows and experiences with these wonderful fish!

Gerald Mann

Welcome Gerald. I'm sure your experience with keeping and breeding Discus will benefit many on here!

Tom

Hello,
    My name is Corrie. In addition to fish (bettas in recent years, large community tanks years back), I have 3 dogs and a husband They keep me on my toes! In the winter, I like spend my time indoors knitting and quilting. In the summer, I like to be outdoors if the mosquitoes aren't too thick. I'm an acupuncturist that works in natural health care research. Let's see...I totally dig James Bond flicks, books by John Case, dark beer, and good food. I'm new to the grand world of discus - looking forward to all of our exciting fishy adventures in the future!

Thanks for having such a wealth of information in one place!
    Corrie

Registered Member

Hi,
    My name is sherry and i've kept an assortment of fish since i was around 6 or 7. i've had goldfish, guppies, bettas, different types of tetras, most recently angelfish, and now finally discus! im new to the hobby and have lots to learn. i currently have a 20 gallon with 2 blue turquoises and a 10g quarantine tank with 2 snakeskins? (not sure what they are) looking into 55 gallon tanks and turning the 20 gallon into a quarantine tank. i look forward to getting acquainted with all of you and learning more about the king of the aquarium =)

Registered Member

Hi all,

My name is Ken. I've been out of the hobby for about 5 years or so and am looking to start up again in the near future. I've kept discus before, so I'm not totally clueless when it comes to their care. I wish I would've known about this forum when I was last keeping discus. There's a lot of excellent information here. For now though I'll just be reading and learning.

Everyone I have met and I tell them I love fish!! there like you FISH?!!?1 and im like yes and i also breed them :P im a 22 y.o model from wisconsin the land of frostbite :P Im new to discus but i been raising angelfish for quite some time so im very excited to learn everything in the world about these wonderful fish.

Page 39 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast