AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 101 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Registered Member specialsuperK's Avatar

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Hello everyone, My name is Jeff K. and I'm addicted to discus! I started my first tank a little over a year ago, and like most I started with oscars, after that I started to find great deals on fish tanks on Craigslist.com, so one by one I have set them up and started tank after tank, I started to breed Jaguar's, then someone wanted to trade my mating pair for some Discus. That is the first time I saw a Discus, soon after, I started to raise Discus, this was about 3 months ago, I now have six Discus in 1 55gal. I'm engaged to the most beautiful person in the world, the queens name is Sara, my son is turning 1 in a week, his name is Caiden, We live in Vancouver WA. I'm a mechanic @ Freightliner in Portland, and I have alot of questions, and a person at "the wet spot" in portland told me to register on this forum if I wanted answers, so I plan on hearing from all of you, It's good to know I'm not the only one as addicted as I am. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi! My name is Steve, I'm 45, married with 2 boys ages 15 and 11 living in Cool California (yes Cool is a real town and actually spelled that way too After having spent 15 years in the music business I decided to get a real job and started a manufacturing company. We produce the Petrogen oxy-gasoline cutting torch system which is used by firefighters and our military around the world. Last year I got a chance to relive my career as a rock star and recorded a new heavy metal record with my bros from Dublin California. The band is Dublin Death Patrol and the record is DDP 4 Life! We did some huge shows in Europe last summer and starting next year we will be in cities around the world. Hope to see you at a show!!

Hobbies include music (of course) astronomy, brewing beer (let's swap some recipies brewmaster15!) and a few years ago I discovered falconry. It's impossible to describe the thrill of watching birds of prey that you've trained, hunting wild game and letting you be part of the hunt. The birds pictured in my avatar are Corey and Syd. They are my harris hawk team and during the hunting season, falconry is about all I do.

My aquarium experience goes back over 20 years. There was a time when I tried my hand at breeding discus. At one point I had as many as 15 tanks going but for the last 5 years or so it's been reef keeping. My show tank is (was) a 300 gallon in wall display and by the time I tore it down last year it was nothing short of spectacular. I don't know if it was boredom or the 400 dollar a month utility bill but I decided to switch over and do a high tech planted discus tank. Obviously going from reef I have overkill equipment for a planted tank, but it's a challenge changing the thought process from a nutrient poor environment with MASSIVE lighting and water flow to what is necessary to keep discus in a planted tank. As it stands my project is just underway. I have florite in the bottom and water in the tank awaiting my first delivery of plants. I'll be sure to post some pics as I go.

I want to thank everyone on this forum and the planted tank forum for helping me with this new project.

Steve

After posting this I noticed I was remiss in not including a picture of the boy's. Derek and Edward are great kids, polite and respectfull. Also pictured is Rochelle with my dog Polar Bear. No that's not photoshopped he really is that big! We are huge animal lovers. Our current count is 4 dogs 5 cats 11 goats and my birds (discus soon
    Rochelle is my wife, my business partner and the love of my life. We've been in business together for the last 12 years. We're together sometimes 24/7 and we almost never fight. Truly magical. I couldn't imagine life without her. The concert photo is me on stage last June in the Netherlands in front of 30,000 crazy metal fans. One of my best days ever.
    Last edited by calihawker; 11-20-2007 at 03:01 AM. Reason: adding picture

Registered Member Diamond Discus's Avatar

Whoa....You are living your dream life, calihawker. I am envious of your drive to do what you want and to make a living doing it. Thanks for posting and "Keep on Doing What You're Doing" man!! You are an inspiration!
    Sue

Hey Steve!! Welcome to "SD"... Cant wait to see the pics of the planted tank.

tc
    Mark
    Mark

Hello. I will tell i guess. My name is Eileen Rodriguez. I live in Grand Rapids MI. I grew up in LINY when I joined the Navy in 1976. I served as a cook/hotel mgt. I met my husbund when stationed on Guam and got married one yr later. Had my beautiful son Jesse. Well, that marrage crashed and been on my own ever since.
    I then met another man and were together for 5 yrs and produced another son Alex. Thirteen yrs difference between the two.
    My screen name is a short form of my sons name, alx,jss.
    I wound up in MI for my son Jesse to be w/his dad.
    I remember my father had lots of fish in the basement but didn't pay attention. Didn't have my first tank until 92 and had goldfish. WOW. Got pregnant and sold the tank to my bro.
    I then bought a 75gal because my son Jesse had one and it was huge, i wanted one. Got one too.
    I did the dumb thing w/no cycle and killed alot of fish. My son had fun w/that. I finally made it w/the fish and looked around but couldn't find anything that interested me and am scared of salt water tanks. I went to a lfs and saw discus many times and thought they were awesome. Too mucH $ for me.... My father told me they were very hard to take care of so i put it out of my mind.
    The last trip to the lfs, of course, there were discus. I just loved them. Got on the internet and well, u no.....
    I now have a 75gal w/6 discus from Cary Strong and they r doing well. I have been in the hobby since may of this yr. I still have alot to learn and will be doing it because i am getting 6 new juvies from Dan of Elite Aquaria.
    I also have a 39 gal betta tank w/ about 17 danios and 2 green cories. I also have a lionhead and a bubble eye gold fish in a 55 gal which i will be eliminating soon. To many fish
    I have no grandchildren so far, but one day.
    That is me.......
    Eileen

hi i guess my discription will be different from all of you.

my name is asim amjad,30 year old, designer living in Karachi Pakistan, and am discus nuts. its very hard to find good quality discus here so it makes my hobby more difficult. i have never heard of anyone breeding discus in pakistan either so i have a display tank with 6 discus and lots of mates.

i have been keeping fish since the last 2 years when my cat died after living for 17 years. i have 2 tanks. the discus tank is 100 gals and the other has live bearers and is about 20 gals.
    i have joined this site to learn more about discus and one day i would love to be experienced enough to breed my own discus.

my best to all of you.

Welcome Asim...and good luck with getting those discus to spawn!
    "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is not out to get you"

thanks!!! let me try keeping them alive first

hi everyone my names tanya lemon im 34 years old i live with my partner of 5years tui and have 2 children cody 11 and crystal 10 hehe i went with the c's not the b's im a hairdresser and have my own salon but ive done many things i have a skippers ticket and have skipperd fishing boats no longer wana catch them just look and loveem ive also worked on an asphalt gang i think u call it blacktop in the states yes i kno tough jobs for a woman i think i had somethin to prove when i was younger now im totally happy with who i am and where im at i was born in bermuda but have lived in nz all my life ive had tropical fish since i can remember but have only recently found discus and all others pale in comparrison i just adore them i have a 120g show tank with 12 discus from 50mm-170mm and a 50g couminty tank and 2x20g tanks at work my partner is very understanding she trys to take in everything i babble on about with the fish and will alert me if somethin dosnt look right to her(most of the time its nothing)but u neva kno id love more tanks but just dont have room at the moment i also enjoy building and doing up campervans when im not doin w/c lastly a big thank u to simply discus awsome forum and soooooooo friendly have taken all other forums off my desktop lol oh and im hopeless at computers and photography and totally cant load pics i dont kno how

Registered Member

Smile Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

hi every one my name is Linda DEVOS i am the owner of angelfishouse299 i raise angelfish and discus in american canyon ca. http://Angelfishouse299
    my ph#707-645-7196
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-13-2008 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Please contact brewmaster15

Hi I am Thomas Foo from Penang, Malaysia. Have just retired from working life and looking forward to take up the challenge of raising this King of Aquarium again. I sincerely hope to learn from all the gurus and experts here. Thank you in advance.
    (More about me in http://pengsan.fotopages.com if you care )

Thomas Foo, Penang
    Last edited by thomasfoo; 01-15-2008 at 08:06 AM. Reason: typo

Hi my name is Kevin AKA Trog.

I've been in the hobby for over 40 years but have only been raising Discus for about 2 years. Oh Ya & I had a full head of hair when I started keeping discus LoL!
    Trog!

Discus! It's an addiction!!

I been slow to respond to this thread, but here goes.
    I'm a 40 y.o.married guy living @ Nj shore entire life.I'm an HVAC service technician(keep people cool or hot-as the season warrants).
    I've had fish tanks off & on for decades-obsession started when some convicts decided to breed.Always loved cichlids-grew tired of the constant battling in the tanks though!Lately I've focused on angels-beautiful fish(no scrapping!)
    I'm a new comer to raising discus.I fell in love with the fish a few decades ago.I resisted setting up a discus tank, because of many reasons(teenager,starting a family,listened to all the difficult fish stories @ LFS... etc).
    Another key reason for not getting into raising the King of Freshwater Aquariums was, every time the Grateful Dead announced tour dates I'd find myself hopscotching my way across the east coast-imagine trying to fit W/C's into that schedule!
    Well as it happens-I've aged,kids grow up,bands stop touring etc...
    I was hanging around LFS(getting feeders for daughters Piranha's) and noticed 2 discus in a tankful of Oscars.It started with the thought- what a bizarre combination.Then it led to watching the price get slashed in half.The fish were beautiful & healthy, soon they moved in.I started with a 38g. tank(gravel bottom).I soon found that the info from LFS was not the whole story.I started hanging out here & learning what I needed to do to keep happy,healthy fish.
    Of course the changes started.Pair of fish need companions,tank & filter too small,gravel a bad idea etc...
    I surveyed attic and set up largest tank available(50g.), went BB tank.I grabbed 13y.o. daughter & trudged up Garden State Pkwy.80 miles & got some more discus.
    I'm glad I gave discus a shot.I find it to be quite an obsession-always looking to expand set up(1 tank is never enough).Trying to decide on larger or several tanks?I've got a few ideas for the basement these days(all focus on tanks!)
    The wife just shakes her head & is generally supportive. She thinks all the W/C's are crazy but that's OK! I'm sure she'll be glad when barrell behind tank in living room is moved to basement.That's the next project!
    I'm glad to have found this forum.The kind folks here have been so helpful in the few months I've had discus.
    Hope everyone has a safe,happy,healthy New Year!
    Rob

Registered Member

okay, I'm Judy Waytiuk, a Canadain who lives in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I'm a former television journalist turned freelanvce magazine and travel writer/photographer (I got out of mainstream journalism when it started tuyrnign into infotainment). my website is http://www.wordsink.ca for those who want more details. I've been keeping fish for thirty years off and on, and have had two long spells of discus-keeping (this one's the third, and the permanent one, I think, as I slowly tail off on the travel-- used to be with all the travel, I couldn't keep up and spouse can't handle even the basics).
    But I'm getting right sick of airports... so I'm just gonna stay home for a long time...

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Judy, great website! The pictures are awesome too ~ did you take them?

Page 5 of 101 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast