ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 52 of 101 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Real Name
    Wes

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Welcome to Simply, April
    Thank u to all guys and girls for all your help and hard work at NADA Chicago 2016 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    David

Welcome to Simply Alex, Mike & April!
    tnaqua.org member
    No aquatic creatures were harmed in the creation of this signature, although a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Registered Member Discus novice's Avatar

Hello, my name is HeXueSong from China. When I was living in chengdu, has been very like a fish. Elementary school is kept some goldfish, but not very successful. After working a crush on the tropical fish, then have all kinds of fish, including arowana, saury and other large fish, finally locked the colorful this beautiful creature. I have is not very good, although through a friend to study some experience, but still a very general. My income is not high, so also can raise some high-grade fish. I put a lot of time is spent on it, has been looking forward to make it keep the good state. So I join this BBS, hoping to get some help and improve. Thank you!
    [IMG]K:\水族\自拍\七彩\DSC01129.JPG[/IMG]

Why can't I send diagram? Who can help me?

Registered Member

Default Tell us about yourselves....Please

Quote Originally Posted by Discus novice View Post
    Why can't I send diagram? Who can help me?
    Most likely you need to have a minimum of 10 posts.

Welcome to Simply HeXueSong. Love your avatar by the way.
    Pete
    MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhu View Post
    Most likely you need to have a minimum of 10 posts.
    Thank you for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by PAR23 View Post
    Welcome to Simply HeXueSong. Love your avatar by the way.
    Unfortunately this is not my fish:P

Welcome all members of the 2012/2013 registration club.

Hope you find all the help you need and give all the advice from your own experiences.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Registered Member the20tonknuckler's Avatar

Hi,

I'm mike. When I was young my parents had couple small aquariums set up and every month the fish would die and my father would quickly restock the tanks with whatever. Often incompatible fish. You can imagine the rest. Suffice to say, within a year my father was through with the hobby. Fast forward 10 years to when I was 17. I got my 1st aquarium, a 37 gallon hexagon. I made all the same novice mistakes. Not cleaning the right way, killing off the filter and putting bad combinations toghter. But I slowly learned to take proper care of my aqaurium. It was around this time I saw my first discus at a local LFS in a dimly lit tank. They were expensive. I was told by the store that only the most advanced hobbyists attempt to keep these beautiful fish. Oh how I wanted them.
    While moving into my own place in my early 20's, I sadly damaged that hex tank. The few fish I had left went back to the local store. Fast forward to my early 30's, I bought a 47 colum tank. It had been at least 10 years and I was going to share the hobby with my son. We set up a simple community tank. The tank was up 3 months with some corys and plecos, tetra's and a pair of gold ram's, when by chance I stumbled into a deal I could not pass up. Small discus, relitvely cheap. It was our first time at this store. 7 small 1.5 fish, each a different color. Bought for 80 bucks. I knew a little about keeping them. I rolled the dice.
    Out of those 7, 1 did not adapt. I still have the other 6. I have been expanding ever since. 3 years into keeping them, I now have 20 fish throughout 6 different tanks. A 125 gallon fully planted show tank with 9 adults that range between 5.5 and 6.5inches. 3 pairs each in a 29gal bare botton breeders. A 10 gal qt tank. And that 47 gal with 5 more growing out now.
    I've lost a few along the way, but for the most part have been lucky as I've learned how to take care of these beautiful fish. I have hopes of breeding them. The breeding tanks have been set up for roughly 6 months. My pairs lay nice sized clutches of 200 or so eggs quite often. It's bern sloww going, but as I learn more about it and tweek what I do, there is signs of progress. From egg munching to white eggs to wigglers to free swimmers. I think this current clutch I will finally have fry. (:
    We live in Buffalo. Any other discus lovers around?
    This forum has been a great sorce of info me.

Hi everybody!!
    I've been posting here for a while and I've just discovered this thread My name is Alfredo, currently work in Brussels but I come from Spain (Segovia). I've had aquariums since I was 16 (I'm 40 years old) and currently I have 14 stendkers and 4 aquariums (one breeding cube, another 240 litres planted, 120 litres barebottom (soon it will be replaced by a bigger one) and 45 litres planted with dwarf shrimps. Everything is filtered using canister filters but the shrimp tank that has an internal filter. Lighting is based on led tubes and led stripes.
    This forum is a good source of information and exchange of points of views

Hello Everyone,

My name is Adam, most people call me Buck. I am from the Philadelphia area and have been keeping freshwater and marine fish for around 9 years now I am making the jump into Discus and am building a small fish room in my basement. Going to try my hand at breeding these beauties. (Wish me luck ) This forum has been an excellent source of information to help me along. I will start a thread on the fish room once I get a little closer to competition. I just wanted to say hello and thank everyone in advance for the help I am sure you all will provide.

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Quote Originally Posted by abuckley75 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

My name is Adam, most people call me Buck. I am from the Philadelphia area and have been keeping freshwater and marine fish for around 9 years now I am making the jump into Discus and am building a small fish room in my basement. Going to try my hand at breeding these beauties. (Wish me luck ) This forum has been an excellent source of information to help me along. I will start a thread on the fish room once I get a little closer to competition. I just wanted to say hello and thank everyone in advance for the help I am sure you all will provide.
    Welcome Buck! Good luck on your discus journey!
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Quote Originally Posted by Trier20 View Post
    Welcome Buck! Good luck on your discus journey!
    Thanks! I am sure it will be an interesting ride.

Registered Member

Hello Everyone,
    My name is Becky and I live in Western Ky. I've been keeping fish off and on ever since I was a little girl,(I'm 56 now and a grandmother!) I love the hobby and even though I leave it occasionally, I always come back. A few months ago I began to feel that old familiar urge/craving to have water and fish around me again. It had been almost 5 years since I took down my last tank (a 55 gal seahorse tank)because of moving to a new house, and bless my husband's heart, he thought I had finally kicked the habit! Poor, deluded man!

I have kept just about everything over the past 50 years or so. I have kept freshwater planted, Fancy Golds, Africans, Discus, saltwater fish only, reef tanks, and raised captive bred seahorses in a 55. These tanks ranged from 20 gal up to a 130 gal reef tank. I loved it all, but as a retired nurse I decided freshwater was more suitable to my budget now, and I do love the Discus! I was fairly successful with Discus the first time I had them, which was about 12 years ago. I raised 9 out of 10 from about 1.5 inches, but I hadn't educated myself as well as I should have, and I raised them in a planted tank and even though they survived, they never grew more than 4 inches or so.

I've been researching here for months and reading anything discus related that I could find. However, I had already set up a 75 gallon heavily planted tank before I knew about raising juvies in a bare bottom. I had also bought 6 juvenile discus ranging from 1.5 inches to 2 inches from a not so great source before I learned about the great sponsers on this forum. So, I now have 6 juvenile discus growing out in a 20 gal long bare bottom which was suppose to have just been their quarantine tank. I now know I can't put them in the main display tank until they are much bigger.

I could have saved myself a lot of headaches if I had not jumped the gun and waited until I knew what I was doing before buying my fish! For the first 3 weeks after I got them I battled one parasite after another, and they would only eat frozen bloodworms. I seem to have finally got them cleaned up internally, (Thanks to the info in this great forum) and they are now eating Al's freeze dried black worms like crazy. (Thank you, Al!)

Even though they have been sick up until a couple of weeks ago, four of the six have added at least an inch in growth in the 5 weeks I've had them, and all are looking healthy now. Because of the size of their tank, I do 50-75% water changes twice a day with Prime treated, 86 degree aged water, and feed them every 3 to 4 hours. I don't mess with the ph, even though it runs about 7.6 or so. I learned on this forum that a STABLE ph is what is important, not the actual number. I learned all this info (and much more) about how to care for my new kids on this forum. Thank You, thank you, thank you!

Becky from Kentucky
    Last edited by bbhill; 05-12-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Page 52 of 101 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast