ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 53 of 101 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Real Name
    David

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Welcome to Simply Becky!
    tnaqua.org member
    No aquatic creatures were harmed in the creation of this signature, although a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Registered Member

Thank you, Tazalanche!

Real Name
    Merry

Welcome to Simply, Becky.

Registered Member

Hi I'm Pamela and I live in Birmingham, AL. I started posting on Simply several years ago as PamelaJ (if I remember correctly). I have no children and currently live in a 2 bedroom apartment.

I got the discus bug about 20 years ago shortly after I graduated from high school. Unfortunately, my lifestyle at that time was not conducive to keeping healthy discus, and I killed the poor things.

I moved to Denmark in 2003 and shortly thereafter set up a 800L BB tank with several Stendker discus. I raised them from juvies and they were a sight to behold. I wish I still had the pics. Anyway, I sold them after growing them out along with all my tanks as the price of water in Denmark was outrageous, and I just couldn't afford to keep giving them the water changes they deserved.

I moved back to the States from Denmark in April 2011.

My latest setup started about a year ago. I have 6 discus in a 55 gal tank (2 PB reds, 1 PB yellow (my runt), a breeding pair that have recently identified as ghost discus, and a blue turquoise. I'm currently learning the hobby all over again. I've made all the newbie mistakes I'd learn not to make when I was keeping discus several years ago, but have managed to get by so far with only one casualty. I had one that wasted away due to being on the bottom of the pecking order and didn't get him into a hospital tank before it was too late. I had a major flukes outbreak that almost killed the whole lot of my fish a few months ago due to plopping a LFS discus in with my healthy ones, but thanks to advice here, I got some Malachite Green and got them back in good health.

I have a 55 gal tank that I grew out my juvies in (I know, bad, bad bad!) with gravel substrate (worse!) and plants. I also have a 55 gal BB breeding/growout tank that I acquired the other day as my two ghost discus were spawning. After reading here, I'm planning on making some changes to my planted setup and increasing my water changes as I'd forgotten just how important clean water is to discus.

And that's about it.

I just want to say thanks so much for this forum and for the helpful members who have given me advice so far. I look forward to getting to know more of you, and when I get that 100+ gallon aquarium I keep dreaming about, I'm sure I'll be hitting some of you up to sell me some fish.

Registered Member

It ain't bad if it works for you.
    Welcome and that ebb and flow of fish keeping seems to be a pattern. My story as well.

Real Name
    Merry

Welcome to Simply.

Real Name
    David

Welcome to Simply Pamela!
    tnaqua.org member
    No aquatic creatures were harmed in the creation of this signature, although a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Welcome !

Registered Member

Hi guys, James Yangzon here. I am from Manila, Philippines. I am a newbie in discus rearing, started just a month and a half ago. I know that this hobby needs more attention and it is important to start right and so I am here to learn and share experiences.

I have not much time for breeding yet and so my goal is just to see my dozen juvies in a 75 gallon tank to grow big and healthy

I know that the people here are accommodating and are always ready for information that a newbie like me really appreciate.

I'd like to introduce myself more, but not much is very interesting with me. And so I just have to describe myself in two words: "Forever Curious".

Thanks in advance guys.

Real Name
    David

Welcome to Simply James!
    tnaqua.org member

Registered Member

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I am new to the forums, but not completely new to the hobby so I'll help with questions, inundate you guys with questions, and basically just talk a lot. lol JK about that last part. Glad to be here. I've found no better place on the web for expertise and helpful people in the world of that obsession we call discus.

Real Name
    Merry

welcome to Simply, James.

Registered Member

hello, I'm new to simply discus, and I don't know how to start a thread.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    Welcome to Simply James!
    Thanks David.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
    welcome to Simply, James.
    Thanks a lot Trubble. Though, I am from a tropical country, i know I will learn a lot from here.

Page 53 of 101 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast