ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 74 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1511

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Hi Jason! welcome to Simply! Look forward to seeing some post and pictures of your journey.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by rockhoping View Post
    Hi all I am new to the site aswell to keeping discus, but not new to fish keeping. I've been keeping marine fish for a number of years. Now I am keen to keep discus and in time breed the fish. I've set up a 55 gallon tank and bought my first pair of discus.

The challenge begins ........

Jason
    Welcome to SimplyDiscus Jason

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Aaron

I am Aaron and I have been keeping saltwater and reef aquariums for a long time. Only with in the last year have me and my wife kept discus. I love the information here and watching the discussions. Thanks all.

Here are my two current discus laying eggs

Registered Member

Hi guys - William1 here- Billy sometimes, some used to call me Willie, the street fighter...
    Like the forum. I hope to contribute something useful while learning every day. Cheers!, BK

Real Name
    Patty

Hi Discus lovers ! My name is Patty. Like most of the posts here, I've had aquariums off and on most of my life. I'm new to Discus. I've had a 75 gal for a couple years now and just set up a 125 gal which they seem to be very happy in.
    I am a nurse at a local hospital here in Port Charlotte, Florida on the gulf side. I was born and raised in Michigan so I think I'm forever legally bound to say "GO BLUE!"
    I think the stress of my work draws me to aquariums and especially discus. With all the support and knowledge here, I hope to be able to relax and come home from taking care of humans (most of them anyway) and enjoy rather than nurse sick fish. Thanks for being here for us.
    I also love kayaking, and going to the beach, but find myself doing laundry the most. I have a super nice husband who seems to be getting addicted to discus as much as me. No kids, but a Border Terrier that loves attention and is actually jealous of the fish. She cries if I look at them too long! Nice meeting all of you!

Very nice introduction, Patty - welcome to the forum - with your attitude & approach you'll enjoy this forum, and no doubt be successful with discus.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 06-10-2016 at 08:59 PM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Very nice introduction, Patty - welcome to the forum - with your attitude & approach you'll enjoy this forum.
    I couldn't have agreed more.

Welcome to the forum Patty. I do not know about the geography of Florida but one of our admins, Pat, lives in Florida as well. Go girls in Florida with discus!

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Patty

In the short time I've been absorbed with this site, you both have already become my go to guys. When I see Either name, I stop and read-same goes for 2nd hand Pat. I tried to become a member last night, but I'm having some pay pal problems. Hopefully they wille-mail me and I can get a t-shirt too!

Registered Member

I missed this section for some reason, sorry about that.

Hi my name is Wesley and I'm living Cape Town at the moment. I've kept fish for most of my life which adds to about 30 years of fish keeping. This is my first attempt at discus, I'm finally financially sound enough to do it and enjoying it too much. I actually look forward to a water change so I might not be right in the head haha.

I currently have three tanks running, my discus grow out, shrimp tank and my arowana tank. My aro has been very challenging but after a year I wanted more hardships so I finally decided to get discus and I'm loving every moment so far. Also, a great thanks for this forum as this place has a mountain of solid info and has been very informative to my new undertaking.

I'm trying to add to this wealth by helping where I can and sharing my own experiences. The thing I like about simply discus is the no nonsense attitude of the people here. I was getting tired sifting through post after post on other sites where people try to be nice and kind of trample around the problem as not to offend. Over here I know I'll get solid and too the point advise. If I'm ever wrong over here I know I'll be put straight pretty quickly which is great as being wrong is one way in learning to do it right.

My long term goal is to start breeding discus to try and support my hobby and make it grow into an activity for retirement one day. I'm sure that would keep me very busy haha.

Real Name
    Dave Becker

About a year or two ago I had about 15 tanks of discus. After 3 years of daily water changes I decided to go fishless.
    Sold a lot of fish via Craigslist and to a few pet stores. Garage is now empty and want to start again. I'll probably get
    just 4 babies and start small. Garage is insulated except the garage door with a big air gap on bottom. I need
    to house my car there so rather than trying to heat lots of tanks, I'll just have one or two. Maybe wrap back sides of
    tanks with foam or something. I'm retired so I have lots of time to fool with discus. I need some way of making
    water changes easy without hauling buckets of water around. I have two 55 gal blue plastic barrels for water aging
    and a dozen filters and heaters so I'm pretty well set equipment wise. I haven't read any of the latest Simply Discus posts
    so I need to get current. I welcome any ideas. Water conditions here: well water, about 100 TDS. Never sure of exact PH but
    I always age the water for 24 hours while heating it to 83 degrees for the discus. Now---the big question is where to buy
    some babies. I'll check SD sponsors soon. Thanks for listening---looking forward to getting back into this hobby. Dave near Portland, OR

Registered Member

hello, My real name is James.
    I have been keeping fish since the age of 10, so 33 years. I am on my 3rd time keeping discus. first time i had them i picked up 18. pb bd and powder blue. they were imported by dolphins. i had those breeding and gave them 100% r/o water. the first time i had free swimmers the girl friend kicked me out and i never saw them again. the second time i picked up 3 from a private guy in town, i brought in 8 from wv, and had the pet stoe bring inn a box from Wattley and i bought 18. i again had fish laying eggs. I didn't and still don't monitor my water. what i didn't realize at that time is that when we flood our ph sky rockets. even with a r/o unit. I ph shocked my fish and lost all but one. this eventually led to me leaving the hobby for a few years. marriage and children came at this time. at the end of my marriage i also gave up harleys. which had been my life for the last 20 yrs. toward the end of my marriage i started getting back into aquariums. I found a 300 gal on cl and couldn't pass up the opportunity to get it. I now have 2 300 and a 250. i will put a video at the end of this (hopefully).I have always done planted tanks. i despise fake crap in my tanks.this time around i set up a dirted 300 gal with bml and planted with drift wood i collected myself. this tank stands alone. my other two tanks are plumbed together through the filter.I have purchased 21 discus with 5 still alive. I know not good odds. I didn't set up a hospital tank and haven't devoted the kind of time that needs to be devoted. I'm hoping to change this and become more serious about my hobby.that's about all i'm going to write tonight https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsc...qIwgnx6IXxBCTA

Welcome to the forum, James.
    With your no-nonsense approach, you'll fit in well here - and become more serious and better at succeeding in this hobby - enjoy the discussions!

Real Name
    Eric

Hi I am Eric.

I am a 37 year old man, married, no kids. I love flora and fauna, and most of my activities revolve around that. I love to go hiking / exploring, gardening, playing traditional banjo, and drinking good beer. My wife and I relocated from Cincinnati to Portland OR about a year and a half ago, we love it here. I love exploring the Portland and the PNW, as well as the mild weather (not bad water for discus either). I am a procurement executive for a large multinational corporation and I was able to convince my employer to let me work from home (not sure the discus completely appreciate my omnipresence).

I have kept quite a few different type of animals, including a long stint keeping chameleons. I got into planted tanks a few years ago to provide an outlet to my green thumb during the winter and have been completely sucked in.

My goals with discus are very modest, I just want to have happy healthy fish and continue to learn about how to provide them an optimal environment. Thanks to those that have helped me thus far!

Here are a few pics of my tanks

Discus tank - 55 gallon, 6 discus.

60 Gallon Planted Show Tank (high tech - ferts, CO2, high light) - 25 cardinal tetras, 6 corydora sterbai, 7 otos, 2 german electric blue rams, two female bettas. (poorly thought out home to my 6 juvi discus for 5 difficult first days)

20 Gallon Long Planted Betta Sorority (high tech - ferts, CO2, high light) - 5 female bettas, 6 otos, 3 julii cories, 1 jumbo oto

10 Gallon divided male betta planted tank (med tech - ferts, low light, no co2) - 2 male bettas, 6 otos

Me and my buddies (my golden girls, both 15)
    Last edited by Clawhammer; 07-05-2016 at 12:44 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ken

Hey, all!

I joined last month but have not yet introduced myself, so I figured I better get to it! My name is Ken and I live in Spokane, WA. I'm a writer at heart, and ever-so-luckily, by trade. I've been studying, reading, and learning about Discus for almost a year now, but am just now preparing to order my first Discus from Hans (YAY for the sponsors here being so great!). I have my fish room all set up, and am currently cycling about a half-dozen tanks, most of which won't have inhabitants for quite some time.

I'm in love with Discus and have been learning everything I can so that I'm as prepared as possible when I finally bring some home. These forums have been a fount of knowledge, and I've already privately interacted with a couple of great folks here. Can't wait to meet more, especially if there are any Spokane locals on here!

Thanks for reading, and thanks for all the help I've already got from these forums.

Welcome to the forum - best of luck with your discus fish room.

Can't go wrong getting your stock from Hans - let us know if we can be of any help as you move along.

Page 74 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast