AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 75 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1511

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Hi Ken. Welcome. Don't worry about not having introduced yourself. I've been on this forum almost since in't inception and I have not introduced myself.

You are a writer! Dang. I studded English Lit. and I groom dogs for a living. Well done, sir.
    Mama Bear

Hiya, I'm Neil - new to discus, in fact the tank isn't even set up yet ! I used to keep trops and loved my tank of Zaire Zblue Frontosa, but My most recent tank was a reef tank that I had to reluctantly had to shut down. So I've got a 101 gallon uk or a 125 gallon us tank waiting until after s move to be set up. I've got most of the gear, just awaiting my sump, a uv and need to get some lights ! ! Read loads on here, so thanks people, I won't be rushing into planted discus tanks any time soon ! !
    Thanks
    Neil

Why the UV?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Monica

Hi Guys! My name is Monica Prieto. I'm in Sarasota Florida. I've been a teacher for the past 13 years and I'm pretty obsessed with my fish [goes perfectly with my book obsession]. I've gone from three tanks down to one tank with a quarantine/med tank now. I upgraded to a 120 gallon tank and now add hardly anything. I'm just enjoying what I have and spoiling my fish rotten. I'm doing the planted tank with Discus bit. It's challenging but I figured out the plants over the past five years so now I'm combining it with Discus. I love to kayak and go into the great outdoors. I also love photography. My mom lives vicariously through me as she loves my fish but doesn't want to do the work [she did this up north]. Luckily, I've trained her to be a great babysitter of my Discus when I leave town. Grin. No kids...just my fish. Ironically, my little sister's comment was that she thought my fish hobby was harder than raising children. Apparently, my disasters of the past during my training to do things right have freaked her out enough to never raise fish. Oops. Luckily, I don't seem to have those now as often. I credit that to reading a whole lot of threads on this site and buying from only the vendors that are on here. Oh, I almost forgot - I LOVE science fiction [star trek, babylon 5, firefly, and newer stuff]. You could say if it flies in the night sky, I've tried watching it. Grin. As for my age, I'm approaching the middle part [a lady never reveals her true age].

Real Name
    Ricardo

Great to have you on board Monica. What kind of teaching do you do?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Hiya Liz, because I can't see what harm it can do, was brilliant on my last tank, they are great for killing pathogens and going somewhat to preventing algae outbreaks, I've read some use one and some don't.

Do you not recommend one then ?

Oh and hi by the way
    Neil
    Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Why the UV?

Registered Member

Hi,
    My name is sumit and I work with Siemens. I have been keeping discus for last 1 year, and find this forum very helpful. Thanks to all the members of this forum to share the valuable experience to the newbees and helping others out. I really appreciate fellow members for their response to the threads.
    I have a 125gallon tank with 6 discus in it. Their size is 4-5 inches now.
    The beauty of discus dragged me into this hobby and i must say though it requires lot of care, the time spent is worthy.
    I hope to learn much more from this forum and looking forward to it.
    Thanks😊

Registered Member

Hello All!

My name is Larry and I've kept a 125G planted tank with Angels, Gourami, Rams, Cory's etc for the past 5 years. I recently completed a fishless cycle on a new 125G tank with two 36" Current USA Pro+ LED's, two Fluval FX6 cannister's (one with a spray bar and one with the nozzle), Two in-line heaters on a digital controller, a 36W UV Sterilizer, and a Digital PH monitor. Its lightly planted, driftwood and rock (very familiar with the planted/bare tank debate). I have an APEC 90 RO unit for the house, so I've built a stable water column using an RO/Tap mix without the need for buffers/chemicals (other than Prime of course). PH is stable at 6.8, KH 2-3, GH 5-6, TDS 300 (after adding the occasional Flourish, Excel, Discus Trace etc), Ammonia & Nitrite at zero and Nitrates near zero (under 5PPM) and a temp of 83F. I have 3 Sterbi Cory, 3 Julii Cory, 12 Rummynose Tetra and an Albino Bushynose Pleco (who will be moved if needed). So... I stocked up on Austrailian Blackworm cubes (thanks Al) freeze dried Beefheart cubes (thanks Dan) and Sera Granules to start. I just placed an order with Miranda and Chicago Discus for 2 Super Checkerboard Pigeon, 1 Fine Line Red Snakeskin, 1 Albino Platinum, 1 Blue Diamond, and 1 Albino Golden Marlboro for a total of 6 to start... all at 5"-6" in size. They will arrive next Wednesday!!

125Gtank.jpg
    Last edited by Chillybone; 10-27-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Welcome aboard, GoldenSurfer - post some pics of your tank & fish - we love photos.
    Welcome to you too Chillybone - I'm certain you'll be overjoyed with what you get from Chicago discus - pics please when they're settled in !

Registered Member

Attachment 103249image3.jpgimage2.jpgimage1.jpg

Here are a few fishes that I have.
    Any suggestion or thoughts?

Very nice, Surfer.

Hi all. I'm sure you've seen my posts. I saw this thread pop up and figured I'd introduce.

My name is Ryan and I'm from the SF bay area in California.

My love of discus started with a failed attempt of my first single discus. I bought it from LFS about a quarter size but had no idea of their special needs. Needless to say after a year I lost him and now looking back on pics realized how terrible he looked.

After that experience I knew I wanted discus but wanted to do it right. I began doing my research, mostly here and decided to go for it.

In April I got 6 fish from Kenny who, lucky for me, is local. In June I added one more and tomorrow I will see Kenny again to pick up 2.

This forum is absolutely invaluable to any discus keeper. New or old. This is not only an intro but a thank you as well.

Registered Member Pompadour Discus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Aja

Hello everyone! longtime lurker, this is my second post My name is Aja I reside in MI but I am originally from ATL, GA. I work for a major airline and yes I fly free and travel a ton and love it and will never ever quit. I have never had discus before but I am not new to the aquatic life. I have had aquariums since I was 5. There has not ever been a period since then that I did not have an aquarium. I love animals I have dog a Shiba Inu named Sasha that stays with my sis right now since my place won't allow her. I also have a rabbit named Mr. Bumbles, a leopard Gecko, and of course a 30G aquarium tank the smallest I have ever owned. I have in the past always had 80G tank or larger that housed (not all in same tanks) Oscars, cichlids, sharks, gar, puffin, tetras, elephant nose, loaches, and soooooo much more. In my tank now is a large calico angelfish, rainbow shark, catfish, silver shark, and a couple more that are slipping my mind at the moment, ugh.

Back to discus, I am literally obsessed with them, I probably account for about 30,000 views for just about any YouTube video with discus in the past 3 months alone, lol. I rarely comment just admire. I haven't gotten any discus because I wanted everything to be just right. Plus I wanted to wait until I was in a more permanent place but I have been mesmerized by them and researching all that I can for about a year and I am just tire of waiting. I really want my own tank. I kind of have my heart set on certain tank mates and décor already, although I will definitely adhere to the quarantine warnings and keep the young'ins in a BB tank first. In the future if I am successful for awhile, I would like to attempt breeding them and have been researching a lot on the subject.

My research involves several books, watching reputable YouTube Discus enthusiasts, my fave is King of DIY, also online blogs, and of course this site has been a tremendous help.

Right now I am still searching for great breeders, I know Kenny is one but want to see if there are others

Real Name
    Karthik

Hello Guys,

I am Karthik from Bangalore, India. I am a mechanical Engineer working for Alfa Laval India. I am a fishkeeper from my childhood. Now, after all these years, having tried many kinds of tank setups and fish, I wanted to venture into Discus Keeping. I have setup a bare bottom tank (with a trial algae scrubber) for the discus.

I have 6 discus now, in a 3' x 18" x 18" tank for now. I plan to increase the number of discus tanks and get taller ones. Here are some pics:

LSS Rafflesia: 4.5"+ size

30404677740_554a111188_c.jpg

Golden San Merah: 4.5"

30072729854_13d5fdd421_c.jpg

Platinum White: 3.5"

30072733844_e1278e6d47_c.jpg

3 Blue diamond babies 2-2.5"

30587861992_0435f96f41_c.jpg

Hope to learn more from this forum about keeping discus for long term.

Cheers,

Karthik
    Last edited by KarthikC; 11-05-2016 at 02:56 AM. Reason: updation

Registered Member

Welcome Karthik to the forum. nice discus.
    Is your pltinum white getting yellow? Which food do you feed them?

Page 75 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast