Page 78 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 1511

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Real Name
    Makis

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Hi Makis and welcome to the forum .
    I hope you'll have a fun time here on the forum exchanging discus experiences with us .
    I have 11 stedendkers my self that I bought from Aquavivere.gr - Thessaloniki Stendker supplier .
    I would love to see photos and introduction of your tank and discus , so please do share them with us here .
    Hi Filip
    Thank you very much for the welcome!
    When I have time I will make a detailed presentation of my aquarium.
    At this time my discus are still young and quite small, I have them only two months and I am in the process of feeding and WC.
    I bought them from Athens Stendker supplier.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stephen Carey

Hello Everybody. My name is Steve Carey, as you can see by my screen name. I was reading Al's blog post "Cold Hard Facts for the Hobbyist" and when it came to #15 "you will think about that Flat fish everytime you see a fish tank....and thats a fact." I knew I was in the right place.

Actually everytime I see fish tank I think about Angel Fish first then Discus. For some reason they have stuck with me since I was a kid. Now that does not mean I have kept these fish this whole time, it just means I have thought and dreamt about them, A LOT!!!

It's funny because I never attempted to keep them this whole time either. I have set up successful reef tanks, and a couple small community tanks with plants, but I never kept Angel's or discus, just because of the water parameters they require. Particularly the PH levels, and soft water. I live in Southern California and always thought our water was too hard, and the PH was too high to even attempt these fish, so I would go to the LFS and watch these fish from afar so to speak.
    After reading quite a bit of the information on this site the last week or so, It has changed my mind considerably. Now I just need to convince the wife. She is in purging mode right now, so it will take some time. We shall see.

Anyway's I hope to meet some good people on here and maybe meet some locals to maybe get together and talk discus and angels, even saltwater piscine.(sp) Take care, Steve

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Carey View Post
    Hello Everybody. My name is Steve Carey, as you can see by my screen name. I was reading Al's blog post "Cold Hard Facts for the Hobbyist" and when it came to #15 "you will think about that Flat fish everytime you see a fish tank....and thats a fact." I knew I was in the right place.

Actually everytime I see fish tank I think about Angel Fish first then Discus. For some reason they have stuck with me since I was a kid. Now that does not mean I have kept these fish this whole time, it just means I have thought and dreamt about them, A LOT!!!

It's funny because I never attempted to keep them this whole time either. I have set up successful reef tanks, and a couple small community tanks with plants, but I never kept Angel's or discus, just because of the water parameters they require. Particularly the PH levels, and soft water. I live in Southern California and always thought our water was too hard, and the PH was too high to even attempt these fish, so I would go to the LFS and watch these fish from afar so to speak.
    After reading quite a bit of the information on this site the last week or so, It has changed my mind considerably. Now I just need to convince the wife. She is in purging mode right now, so it will take some time. We shall see.

Anyway's I hope to meet some good people on here and maybe meet some locals to maybe get together and talk discus and angels, even saltwater piscine.(sp) Take care, Steve
    Hi Steve and welcome to our discus community.
    I hope you'll have luck persuading your wife into discus . Its worth trying at least , because they are very addictive once you let them under your skin .
    Stay well Steve and until you buy your first discus batch , keep learning and ask questions as much as you can about them .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stephen Carey

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Hi Steve and welcome to our discus community.
    I hope you'll have luck persuading your wife into discus . Its worth trying at least , because they are very addictive once you let them under your skin .
    Stay well Steve and until you buy your first discus batch , keep learning and ask questions as much as you can about them .
    Thank you Filip! I have read quite a few posts authored by your self advising others, and have really enjoyed them. There is a lot to learn here and navigating the site is somewhat of an experience in itself. I am enjoying myself so far. C-ya around water cooler.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Hello. My name is Eric and I live in California, USA. I am still a teenager. My passion is fishkeeping (mainly discus) and I have been keeping them since last year. I own a bonded pair of Red Cover discus, hence my account name. I also own a few Album Flora discus juveniles. I always watch The King of DIY and Aquarium Co Op’s videos right as they come out for DIY tips and tricks to save money since I always have to be on a strict budget for obvious reasons. Over my past year of keeping these majestic animals, I have learned a lot of what fishkeeping is and I hope to join the SimplyDiscus family.

Side note: I got my pair from Uncle Sam’s Discus on Joey’s Los Angeles meetup last year. Thanks Uncle Sam’s!
    Last edited by Red Cover Discus; 12-13-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Welcome to you both, Steve and Eric.
    I know you'll enjoy the forum & it's members, but most of all we wish you much success with discus-keeping and the ongoing enjoyment of your personal daily lives as well.

Real Name
    Heidi

This thread is beautiful. It's so nice to hear everyone's history and where they are at today.

I live in California with my husband our son.

I got my first fish at age 12. I was a puny 65 pounds at that age and I messed up my back really bad doing a water change. I swore I'd never get fish again.

I was 21 when my son Daniel was born. He has a rare genetic defect, is non-verbal and has many disabilities. He's gone through several surgeries and continues to struggle with health problems off and on through his life. He will be 21 this March but he is small. He looks like he's about 12 years old.

Daniel's had a deep love for fish since he could barely walk- any fish whether it's one inch or 30 inches. He tried to climb into grandma's goldfish tank when he was 2. He kissed the shark tank in Vegas when he was 3. Before his back surgery in 2009 we went to SeaWorld to swim with the dolphins. All of our vacations throughout his childhood included a visit to an aquarium.

Daniel got chronically ill with pneumonia about 6 years ago. He was in and out of the hospital for 2 years and we weren't able to visit aquariums. We began to visit a local pottery place with a koi pond and there both Daniel and I fell in love with koi. We got our first koi several years back and kept buying bigger and bigger tanks to accommodate the koi.

The 200 gallon custom tank we made became too small for the koi and I decided to purchase a monster 500 gallon tank and make plans to build a pond. One koi turned into 20. I now have someone who is housing my largest koi in their pond until ours is built, hopefully this fall.

So the 200 gallon was empty and I decided to fill it with angels and discus about 2 years ago.

Daniel spends endless hours watching his fish. I clean his face prints off the tanks weekly because he likes to put his face up against the tank to watch them. I can't imagine living without koi and discus in our house. They are magical and bring a peacefulness to my life that I never knew I was missing until they arrived.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HappyFace; 01-03-2018 at 03:10 AM.

Real Name
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFace View Post
    This thread is beautiful. It's so nice to hear everyone's history and where they are at today.

I live in California with my husband our son.

I got my first fish at age 12. I was a puny 65 pounds at that age and I messed up my back really bad doing a water change. I swore I'd never get fish again.

I was 21 when my son Daniel was born. He has a rare genetic defect, is non-verbal and has many disabilities. He's gone through several surgeries and continues to struggle with health problems off and on through his life. He will be 21 this March but he is small. He looks like he's about 12 years old.

Daniel's had a deep love for fish since he could barely walk- any fish whether it's one inch or 30 inches. He tried to climb into grandma's goldfish tank when he was 2. He kissed the shark tank in Vegas when he was 3. Before his back surgery in 2009 we went to SeaWorld to swim with the dolphins. All of our vacations throughout his childhood included a visit to an aquarium.

Daniel got chronically ill with pneumonia about 6 years ago. He was in and out of the hospital for 2 years and we weren't able to visit aquariums. We began to visit a local pottery place with a koi pond and there both Daniel and I fell in love with koi. We got our first koi several years back and kept buying bigger and bigger tanks to accommodate the koi.

The 200 gallon custom tank we made became too small for the koi and I decided to purchase a monster 500 gallon tank and make plans to build a pond. One koi turned into 20. I now have someone who is housing my largest koi in their pond until ours is built, hopefully this fall.

So the 200 gallon was empty and I decided to fill it with angels and discus about 2 years ago.

Daniel spends endless hours watching his fish. I clean his face prints off the tanks weekly because he likes to put his face up against the tank to watch them. I can't imagine living without koi and discus in our house. They are magical and bring a peacefulness to my life that I never knew I was missing until they arrived.
    Wow! 2 giant tanks... That sounds awesome. Tell Daniel im super jealous!
    Sounds like Daniel has a loving family & home.
    Im glad fish has peeked his interest throughout his life. Heres to happy fishkeeping for you guys.
    Last edited by Poppa Ryno; 01-03-2018 at 01:24 PM.
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Real Name
    Heidi

Thank you Ryan! I will let Daniel know. I'm glad too since the only thing he loves more is airplanes and I can't buy him one of those lol. He might not have the best of luck in health matters but I think he's a lucky little guy in many ways.

He knows I love him more than anything and both his father and I want him to be happy always.

Registered Member

I’m Jimmy and I live in Melbourne, Australia.

I don’t own any discus, I don’t own any fish, I don’t even own a fish tank. A bloke I worked with a few years back bred discus and would tell me how great they were, I like sitting down and watching aquariums, so he suggested that I give it a try.

At the time it wasn’t really an option but I’ve started to think about it more recently and am at a point where I would like to give it a go. Unfortunately I have lost contact with him now and so I wondered where to go to. I looked on YouTube and have watched some videos, a couple mentioned this forum and badda-bing badda-boom here I am.

I’ve been going through the beginner’s section and trying to get my head around what equipment I will need (any advice greatly appreciated) instead of just buying whatever the aquarium store tells me I should get. I do remember his tank being bare bottom and him telling me that’s the best way to keep them (at the time I was like ‘nah man, surely you want some nice rocks and a sweet aquascape’ - yes it was that long ago “sweet” was still a phrase). So I’ll listen to him all these years later and go bare bottom.

I haven’t figured out what tank size or what filters/lighting/etc I’m going to get. Every time I read gallon my brain short circuits so I think I need to sit down with a pen and paper and make up a table of common tank sizes in gallon/litres.
    Cheers,

Jimmy

Registered Member

Hello,

My name is Dave and I am a fellow fish keeper, just here to compare notes as well as learn new things. I have heard great things about this forum so I decided it's time to become a member. Thank you for having me!

Dave

Registered Member
    Real Name
    christina

Red face Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Hi . New to Discu keeping , but not new to fish keeping . i love the colors and shape of these fish , i currently have a 55 gallon with 2 dicus in there , a blue/ diamond and a red/ turq , dont have a clue of gender .. one is twice the size of the other and i being quite a bully to the smaller one , i hope he doesn't stress him out , and kill him .. ugh .. had same problem with angel fish before...

So i'm a married mom of 4, 1 grand child with 1 on the way , disabled and home most of the time , i have several pets ... other than my fish tank , if i could afford the electric bill id have more tanks !!!! So i have my kitty , in door and my flemish giant rabbit litter train and hops around the house , shreds like a german shepard though ,, SO swiffer to the rescue ,, we also have several out door rabbits out side in cages, large cages , looks like a rabbit farm .. lol hubby tends to them . there mixed lion heads and lops . we garden , we cook alot and bake .. i crochet and play vedio games , currently i play eq2 and slime rancher .. lol mine craft too .. i watch tv ,, love.. Game of thrones , shameless , Americans , Home Land, just to name a few ... movies a great and well im 100% democrat and im almost 49 !!! whoop whoop .. so think i covered it all ??

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by DaveFDiscus View Post
    Hello,

My name is Dave and I am a fellow fish keeper, just here to compare notes as well as learn new things. I have heard great things about this forum so I decided it's time to become a member. Thank you for having me!

Dave
    Hi Dave and welcome . We are glad to have you here .
    This forum is a place with lots of information and experiences about discus keeping and lots of good people who are willing to help others .
    Feel free to ask and learn through communication with other members here .

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by mightynicegirl View Post
    Hi . New to Discu keeping , but not new to fish keeping . i love the colors and shape of these fish , i currently have a 55 gallon with 2 dicus in there , a blue/ diamond and a red/ turq , dont have a clue of gender .. one is twice the size of the other and i being quite a bully to the smaller one , i hope he doesn't stress him out , and kill him .. ugh .. had same problem with angel fish before...

So i'm a married mom of 4, 1 grand child with 1 on the way , disabled and home most of the time , i have several pets ... other than my fish tank , if i could afford the electric bill id have more tanks !!!! So i have my kitty , in door and my flemish giant rabbit litter train and hops around the house , shreds like a german shepard though ,, SO swiffer to the rescue ,, we also have several out door rabbits out side in cages, large cages , looks like a rabbit farm .. lol hubby tends to them . there mixed lion heads and lops . we garden , we cook alot and bake .. i crochet and play vedio games , currently i play eq2 and slime rancher .. lol mine craft too .. i watch tv ,, love.. Game of thrones , shameless , Americans , Home Land, just to name a few ... movies a great and well im 100% democrat and im almost 49 !!! whoop whoop .. so think i covered it all ??
    Hi Christina and welcome .
    It looks that you are a true nature and animal lover , taking care for so many different animals in your house . We are glad to have you here .
    Since you are a novice in discus keeping , you have a lot to learn and discover about discus keeping so I suggest starting with reading the sticky threads in the begginers section .
    As a quick starting point I can tell you that you won't be able to keep only 2 discus if they are not a proven pair .They must be kept in groups in not less than 5-6 discus in order to stay healthy and thriving. Otherwise the bullied discus will get eventually sick from all the stress from bulling .

Registered Member

Hello,
    I'm Lynn and I live in Colorado! I'm mainly writing to express my appreciaton to Paul for his "Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus", where I found some new (to me) information along with lots of good reminders of what I used to know. Thank you Paul!

Briefly, I had a lightly planted 75 gallon discus tank until about 10 years ago when I returned 4 full grown discus to the very knowledgeable LFS owner where I had purchased them as 2-3 inchers. Our water is pretty alkaline, so I was pleasantly surprised that I managed, with the help of this forum, to keep them happy for so long! After considering inhabitants more suitable to our water, I've purchased another 75 gallon tank and am going ahead with a very lightly planted (a few pots behind rocks), discus-only tank. No pleco this time. Discus are just so beautiful and peaceful to watch. Our only other pet is 22 year-old Congo African Grey parrot who we've raised since she was 3 months old. I'm happy to be back!

Page 78 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast