Page 80 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1511

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mickie

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Hey SD,

I'm Mickie, new here, but I've been browsing for the better part of a year or so. I'm 35, a husband and father of two boys 3 and 2. My wife's cancer brought me to fishkeeping. Long story short, we both work in Critical Care at our local hospital and while at work she became confused. She needed emergency brain surgery and was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma. She's been in treatment for the last 2 years and is currently doing well with current therapies. Anyways, I promised her I'd take her to Hawaii every year. Last year, before going to Hawaii, my now 3 year old was terrified of going because someone thought it would be a good idea to tell him there were Sharks there. My co-worker thought of the grand idea of getting him a fish tank, putting a red-tailed shark in there so that he wouldn't be scared before our trip. I set the 5.5 gallon tank up, killed some fish, learned about cycling and I was hooked. A couple weeks later I bought a 36 bowfront, set it up as a planted tank, and it's been my therapy ever since.

For my birthday this year, my wife couldn't think of anything to get for me. I'm into cars (I've been racing cars for about 15 years, was even a professional drifter and test-driver at one point), but I usually buy anything car related for myself. I've been interested in discus, but always too afraid to take on the task. I've been browsing here for a while, and decided to pull the trigger. My wife bought me a 54 corner to set up.

Current setup is:
    Aqueon 54 Corner
    Marineland c220 Canister Filter (took out the carbon and and added extra mech. filtration)
    Fluval 200w LED Heater
    Finnex 24/7 planted Plus SE
    Eco-Complete
    Ghostwood and Seiryu stone hardscape
    I bought a big plant package from H20Plants, tons of anubias, anubias nana petite, crypts, java fern, Hydrocotle sp. Japan, Apongeton Ulvaceous and Boivinianus, Corkscrew Val

Stocking:
    4" Snakeskin F1 from Uncle Sam's
    4" Blue Diamond from Uncle Sam's
    3" Red Turq
    3" Yellow Turq
    3 Philippine Blue Angels
    2 Apistogramma Borellii blue
    8 Cory Cats
    20, now 1 neon tetra (damn angels)

Excited to be here! I recently posted a bunch of pictures of my setup on my IG account @ruiner13 if anyone wants to check it out!
    Last edited by RuinerM3; 03-04-2018 at 10:33 PM.

Registered Member

Hello, morvudd here,

I am a brand-new person to the forum of SD. Happy to say that this year I would love to get my first tank with discus fish. So far my experience isn't huge as I started my journey with aquarium hobby only about 9 months ago. Right now I own a 54l aquarium full of guppy, few corydoras and an albino algae eater.

By the end of the summer I plan to get a new tank, approx 200-240l and start my Discus journey (TBH it has started some time ago, as I am constantly reading and looking for more information on how to keep this beautiful fish). Right now I think the best method will be to keep it simple stupid and follow the advices given here: How do I set up my first discus tank?

Hope to get there eventually and enjoy this beautiful fish in my tank(s) - it never ends with one tank, right?

Happy fish keeping,
    morvudd

Registered Member

Hi all,

Registered Member

Hi all,
    Just bought a new house and the previous owner has kindly left me his beautiful 8ft aquarium full of Discus. It also has King Tiger Plecos, Royal Whiptails and a large school of Verrip Barbs. I have added a few Rams just so I can put my own spin on it. I thought it would be a good idea to join this forum in case I need any help with the aquarium etc. I have had fish for many years including African and American cichlids and multiple different setups of Australian and PNG Rainbowfish. I am hoping I can upload some photos to you all so you can see how beautiful these fish are and there amazing setup. Kind regards M4RF.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by m4rf View Post
    Hi all,
    Just bought a new house and the previous owner has kindly left me his beautiful 8ft aquarium full of Discus. It also has King Tiger Plecos, Royal Whiptails and a large school of Verrip Barbs. I have added a few Rams just so I can put my own spin on it. I thought it would be a good idea to join this forum in case I need any help with the aquarium etc. I have had fish for many years including African and American cichlids and multiple different setups of Australian and PNG Rainbowfish. I am hoping I can upload some photos to you all so you can see how beautiful these fish are and there amazing setup. Kind regards M4RF.

Wow lucky, i'm sure you are so happy. Nice meeting you btw, my name is Cody and I am new here in this forum.

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by m4rf View Post
    Hi all,
    Welcome m4rf
    I’m patty and I can say you came to the right place to learn about discus keeping. I wasn’t having much luck till I stumbled on this site. I’d love to see pics of your tank if you’re able to load them. Do you know what kind of discus you have?
    Also welcome Cody and Morvudd. You are lucky to have found this site before making all the beginner mistakes I made.
    Patty

We’re you able to load some photos?
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member

I'm Ashton Quigley I'm from southern California. I've been fish keeping all my life, but a year and a half ago I got very into fish keeping. I joined because I got an opportunity to get a 75 gallon tank. Discus have always been a dream of mine, and this may be my only chance to get them. There is so much information out there that contradicts itself, and I want to get my information from the best. I really do not want to screw it up, and because I'm not as experienced as a lot of other people I really want to prepare as much as I can before I get them.

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Ashton and welcome to SD. I encourage you to check out the sticky threads in the beginner section, especially the video in the first one. We love picture, and feel free to ask questions when you have them. Good luck!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...TCH-THIS-VIDEO!

Registered Member

Hi everyone,

My name is Pramod.
    Greetings from Mauritius.

Registered Member

Hello SD Member
    To be honest, I trolled this forum for several months and I just did not have the confidence to dive into discus maintenance. However, aAfter much research and reading this forum, I finally registered, TankedInPHX to begin my discus journey. The end goal, I am not trying to grow the biggest fish or even breed, I just want to simply enjoy the beauty of these fish.

Quote Originally Posted by TankedInPHX View Post
    Hello SD Member
    To be honest, I trolled this forum for several months and I just did not have the confidence to dive into discus maintenance. However, aAfter much research and reading this forum, I finally registered, TankedInPHX to begin my discus journey. The end goal, I am not trying to grow the biggest fish or even breed, I just want to simply enjoy the beauty of these fish.
    And that's precisely the right approach and attitude to have going into discus.

Good for you & I wish you lots of good results keeping discus !

Registered Member

Hi All,

I'm and old hand at Aquatics but a newby to Discus. I have in the past kept from the venerable Guppy to the mighty Oscar, throw in a reef or two in the mix and a brief stint in breeding angelfish. At one stage I had 7 aquariums consisting of a SEA biotope, a South American biotope, a reef aquarium, brackish aquarium, 'community aquarium', and two breeding tanks for Angelfish. I have however now downscaled to one 200L and a 20L due to space limitations and the fact that because of my job I move without fail every two years.
    I came across this forum after watching the KingofDIY's video on Discus recently and wish i found it earlier... but hey better late than never!!
    I currently have 6 Stendker Discus in a planted aquarium with some tankmates which is slowly dying of old age (most are 3+ years old) I have three Blue Diamonds and Three Red Turquoise

here is a link to pic of my aquarium, if the moderators accept my thread there will be a more in depth post of my tank in the new member area soon

https://imgur.com/nUWYzAp

Regards
    Van

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David Brian

Hello all, yes I am the new guy! I just got my first discus fish 2 weeks ago.6 in all 2 blue snake skin 2 rock dragons and 2 red dragons so far so good! DIE HARD!

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Hello all, yes I am the new guy! I just got my first discus fish 2 weeks ago.6 in all 2 blue snake skin 2 rock dragons and 2 red dragons so far so good! DIE HARD!
    HI and welcome David . We would love to see pictures of your tank and discus as well as read about your keeping routines .
    If you have any questions , feel free to ask and discuss them on this forum .Good luck on your new journey.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Erik

Just signed up. Looking to read a bunch of info and hopefully finally setup a discus tank. I have had aquariums for 20 years and never decided to spend the money on discus despite having had a successful reef tank with corals. Hopefully will be able to find some local breeder here in MN when i am ready to finally get a few new fish.

Page 80 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast