ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 82 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1511

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Real Name
    Anar

Cool Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Hello to everyone!!
    My name is Anar; I live in Canada. Living in an apartment building and trying to have a fishroom is a tough job. However, for now I was able to convince my wife to start with two tanks ) I fell in love with discus and planning to learn everything about them, possibly and hopefuly one day breed them and have my own basement full of tanks with discus))

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Quote Originally Posted by Anar View Post
    Hello to everyone!!
    My name is Anar; I live in Canada. Living in an apartment building and trying to have a fishroom is a tough job. However, for now I was able to convince my wife to start with two tanks ) I fell in love with discus and planning to learn everything about them, possibly and hopefuly one day breed them and have my own basement full of tanks with discus))
    Welcome then Anar! You came to the right place to learn how to make those dreams some true!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Patty

Welcome Anar! You are in good company here. Best bunch of discus lovers I ever met. They guided me through many firsts with discus and really know their stuff. You’re going to love these fish!
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member
    Real Name
    BA

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please....My Dad made me do it!

Hello all... my dad, Ill get back to him, we're in this together I was raised on a farm that I refer to as Noah's Arc; my mother rescued anything that needed a home. I have always had a love for animals but the one thing I didn't grow up with was fish; mostly because it was a hobby before she had kids and I believe mostly salt water tanks. Now as an adult my fish adventure started with a free guppy in a plastic cup from a carnival that my daughter won. As any good parent, especially one who has nursed too many half dead strays, I made her do some research on how to properly take care of a fish, made her spend about $100 of her own money to buy this fish a proper tank and filtration system only to have the fish die 3 days later. As most of you know once you have your foot in the door it's hard to stop. I have been in the hobby for a little over a year and 4 aquariums later I have decided to jump off of the Discus cliff. The first time I saw them I immediately fell in love, they are so beautiful. Then I did a little research and realized that these guys were not going to be easy to keep.
    So I started with the basics: 55gal, fluval 306 canister, some amazon swords and other "easy to keep" plants, drift wood from the local Pacific North West beach, basic river rock and some "tank mates" (Pleco, Cory Doras, mollys and tetras) were all recommend online. Not mentioning any of this to my dad he comes over for a visit and I casually say that I'm prepping the tank for Discus and he looses his ****, goes and grabs his wife (my other, most amazing mom!) to bear witness that he was not involved in my madness in any way and then precedes to tell me how he used to raise and breed discus but this whole time never mentioned a word. We are now raising discus together over the phone and text because even though I thought I knew what I was doing, I still know nothing! Dad said the tetras were fin nippers and I didn't listen "because the internet told me it would be ok" and a few months later my poor Cory Doras only have nubs left... so my Oscar ate well for a few days... plants died so I ripped them out to. Then later I find out how amazing bare bottom tanks are and easy to clean so I took all the substrate out of all of my tanks. Also dad says the low profile is not the greatest for the discus, that they should have my high profile 65 gal; so I played musical tanks, medicated so I didn't transfer coodies and now have nothing original from the beginning when I knew it all hahaha; I'm now growing out my babies in my high profile 65 gal, fluval 406 canister, a sponge filter as well, no tank mates, an anubias nana and a few sprites survived, bare bottom with a few logs.
    Now that I think I'm ready I order my babies and boy did they set their expectation bar high. Go figure there is too much fog in Seattle for my babies plane to land so they get sent to a safer destination that is only about a 4 hour drive for me but will be shipped the next day. After several heated phone conversations I find some one who cares enough about these fish not dying and finds a way to get them off of the air craft carrier and holds them for me to drive to pick them up. 2 of 9 were dead on arrival but I transferred the rest into the 5 gal bucket I prepared with an air stone and heater for the long drive home.
    Day one everyone is the usual shy and hiding in the back of my 20 gal quarantine tank, one is lying flat on the ground for an hour or so and then shoots up sporadically and continues to gulp for air behind the filter for 2 days. Later I notice 1 is missing 90% of his pectoral fins on both sides, 2 have squished, misshapen eyes, 2 others are pooping out worms, another just stared at the back of the tank for about 5 days and all had very sad tucked up fins. I contacted the seller whom at first was very interactive through emails about the fish until he realizes how upset I am that he sent me a group of infested Quasimodos and then I get crickets from him. I won't name the seller but please learn from my mistakes and do your research on your breeder.
    I started noticing some aggression among the ranks in the tight quarters of the 20 gal and decided after medicating to dump them all in the big tank.
    I'm about 3 weeks in now, bought a few more at the local pet store and now have 12, 1.5"-2"; a variety of colors. Since their arrival I have played with peat, just recently upgraded my peat brewing to a large trash can out in the garage; spent less than $10 to Y off of the washing machine, stuffed a bag of peat into some old pantyhose, 24 hours to dechlor, mini subpump for circulation, a heater and it's rather easy. The peat stains the water in the tank but I really don't mind, my fish are loving it! I have successfully lowered the pH and hardness, very slowly, but they have all been striving in it. I feed them some pellets and frozen salad shrimp.
    I do about 30 to 50% W/C daily, add the desired amount of peat yada yada, they have been averaging 50-70ppm hardness and mid to high 6 pH.
    I did lose one guy while on vacation (3 days). We noticed he was sickly and didn't really pull through from the initial meds in the quarantine tank before we left town. I did a 90% water change the night before we left and set an automatic feeder for only twice a day feedings and came home to the sick guy passed away; everyone else fine and happy to see the shrimp lady!
    Since day one I calmly talked to them and hand transferred them to their tanks, my hands are always in the water at feeding times, I sit and talk to them while they eat. We're 3 weeks in and they are taking food out of my hand and softly brushing up against my fingers at feeding time. They come out to play as long as my kid hasn't recently ran screaming past them, all of their fins are erect so I think I/WE are doing an ok job so far... My dad gets most of the credit. He has taken on to his new grand kids well, especially by putting up with my daily texts of paranoia!
    My dad forced me to join this forum to get advice and to help wrap my mind around these little guys and he was right again. I have learned a lot from the feeds, answered many of my questions from other posts and now would like to say thank you for allowing me to stalk your blogs silently but I'm here now to say hello and help with the little knowledge that I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Hello there, my name is Nico and i live in Belgium (europe). I'm 48 years young , married and got 2 daughters.

About 15 years ago i started the hobby with discus, it was a semi planted 125 gallon tank. After a year or 2 i switched it to my first reeftank and upgraded later on to a 200 gallon stone coral/LPS reef tank. It was more about the corals then the few fish that occupied the tank. And in the end i found it to much time and money consuming to go on.
    So 4 years ago i decided to quit the hobby. When all my livestock and at last the tank was sold and out the door, it really hurted to have no tank at all.

As many of us know, the aquarium addiction never goes away and i'm thinking to pick up the hobby where it started, discus . It's not for sure yet, i'm reading, planning, visiting LFS,... If i feel the same in a few months i probably will be more active on this excellent forum. This is really the place to be if you would need info/help about the discus hobby.

If i would start a new discus tank, it will be a around 200 gallons, 3d back ground low planted tank. With 12 to 14 stendker discus, size 4,5 to 5.5". I got a LFS just a few miles away with really high quality stendker discus. I went there a few times to do window shopping.
    I'm pretty far in the planning but for now i will dissapear in the background with all these plans and dream and follow this forum daily as a ghost.
    So keep up the good work and maybe in a few months i can start my own thread with my new tank.

grtz Nico
    Last edited by Nico F.; 01-06-2019 at 03:45 AM.

Registered Member

I think i can't edit my previous post?

I was going through my old photo's and found a few lower quality pictures of my first discus.They're probably taken 13 years ago

HPIM1255.jpgHPIM1272.jpgHPIM1280.jpg
    Last edited by Nico F.; 01-07-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Real Name
    Patty

Welcome baagar,
    I enjoyed your story about your dad. He is wise to send you here. The early hobbyists used peat to lower ph, but now they’ve found that fresh water is key and that today’s domestic discus can thrive in pretty alkaline water.
    I admire the people like your dad who brought the hobby to where it is today without the internet! Very impressive that he bred them too! I wish you good luck with your bunch. Hopefully they can overcome their rough start with the bad breeder. You are doing a great job so far. Keep us posted. Also, never saw pearls in a tank-very creative and cool!
    Patty

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Nico F. View Post
    Hello there, my name is Nico and i live in Belgium (europe). I'm 48 years young , married and got 2 daughters.

About 15 years ago i started the hobby with discus, it was a semi planted 125 gallon tank. After a year or 2 i switched it to my first reeftank and upgraded later on to a 200 gallon stone coral/LPS reef tank. It was more about the corals then the few fish that occupied the tank. And in the end i found it to much time and money consuming to go on.
    So 4 years ago i decided to quit the hobby. When all my livestock and at last the tank was sold and out the door, it really hurted to have no tank at all.

As many of us know, the aquarium addiction never goes away and i'm thinking to pick up the hobby where it started, discus . It's not for sure yet, i'm reading, planning, visiting LFS,... If i feel the same in a few months i probably will be more active on this excellent forum. This is really the place to be if you would need info/help about the discus hobby.

If i would start a new discus tank, it will be a around 200 gallons, 3d back ground low planted tank. With 12 to 14 stendker discus, size 4,5 to 5.5". I got a LFS just a few miles away with really high quality stendker discus. I went there a few times to do window shopping.
    I'm pretty far in the planning but for now i will dissapear in the background with all these plans and dream and follow this forum daily as a ghost.
    So keep up the good work and maybe in a few months i can start my own thread with my new tank.

grtz Nico
    Welcome to Simply Discus Nico,

Your plans sounds like the perfect tank. Love your pics of your last venture and look forward to your next one. Those fish are gorgeous! I’d sure a lot of people would like to know how to do a planted discus tank like yours.
    Patty

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

Hello Everyone, I am Combo Nations I am 44 and I kind of fell in to the hobby by accident sort of well my Wife had a 29 gallon tank for sometime before we were married almost
    6 years ago, we got a new house we was moving she found the tank and all the parts to it and said ( At sometime I would like to get some fish) I said ok thats fine so after getting moved in we found a place and set it up filled it with water and it sit and ran ,and ran, and ran for months and spring time come around a very close friend of mine and I went crappie fishing so we bought some crappie minnows when we got back that night we had a good bit of minnows left over and had planned on going back in just a couple days he said man how can we keep these minnows alive until we go back to the lake I said come with me my dear friend so I brought them in the house put those things right in the tank and a couple days latter we took them back to the lake still didn't use them all what was left over back in the aquarium they went had about 12 in there this time and so at this point my work schedule changed and we could no longer go back fishing they lived in the tank for several months, me not ever having an aquarium before i didn't know things like cycled tank ammonia spikes all i knew was ever so often I would loose one here 2 there i didn't know what was going on so then there was no more one day so then the tank sit empty for few months and my wife said i miss seeing fish in the tank I said well if we gonna get new fish lets study on fish keeping so I started watching videos on fish keeping i learned about tank cycle and water changing start slow not to overload the bio so we bought few neons then some more neons then serpae tetras then bought a 55 gallon then bought a 75 gallon then she saw discus i bought an angel fish to kind of get her mind off the discus because of most people saying they hard to keep she said it's pretty but still want discus so started searching for discus info just happen to walk in to LFS they some in there I bought 2 then seen the Joeys video with AL so here I am

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please....My Dad made me do it!

Quote Originally Posted by baagar415 View Post
    hello all... My dad, ill get back to him, we're in this together i was raised on a farm that i refer to as noah's arc; my mother rescued anything that needed a home. I have always had a love for animals but the one thing i didn't grow up with was fish; mostly because it was a hobby before she had kids and i believe mostly salt water tanks. Now as an adult my fish adventure started with a free guppy in a plastic cup from a carnival that my daughter won. As any good parent, especially one who has nursed too many half dead strays, i made her do some research on how to properly take care of a fish, made her spend about $100 of her own money to buy this fish a proper tank and filtration system only to have the fish die 3 days later. As most of you know once you have your foot in the door it's hard to stop. I have been in the hobby for a little over a year and 4 aquariums later i have decided to jump off of the discus cliff. The first time i saw them i immediately fell in love, they are so beautiful. Then i did a little research and realized that these guys were not going to be easy to keep.
    So i started with the basics: 55gal, fluval 306 canister, some amazon swords and other "easy to keep" plants, drift wood from the local pacific north west beach, basic river rock and some "tank mates" (pleco, cory doras, mollys and tetras) were all recommend online. Not mentioning any of this to my dad he comes over for a visit and i casually say that i'm prepping the tank for discus and he looses his ****, goes and grabs his wife (my other, most amazing mom!) to bear witness that he was not involved in my madness in any way and then precedes to tell me how he used to raise and breed discus but this whole time never mentioned a word. We are now raising discus together over the phone and text because even though i thought i knew what i was doing, i still know nothing! Dad said the tetras were fin nippers and i didn't listen "because the internet told me it would be ok" and a few months later my poor cory doras only have nubs left... So my oscar ate well for a few days... Plants died so i ripped them out to. Then later i find out how amazing bare bottom tanks are and easy to clean so i took all the substrate out of all of my tanks. Also dad says the low profile is not the greatest for the discus, that they should have my high profile 65 gal; so i played musical tanks, medicated so i didn't transfer coodies and now have nothing original from the beginning when i knew it all hahaha; i'm now growing out my babies in my high profile 65 gal, fluval 406 canister, a sponge filter as well, no tank mates, an anubias nana and a few sprites survived, bare bottom with a few logs.
    Now that i think i'm ready i order my babies and boy did they set their expectation bar high. Go figure there is too much fog in seattle for my babies plane to land so they get sent to a safer destination that is only about a 4 hour drive for me but will be shipped the next day. After several heated phone conversations i find some one who cares enough about these fish not dying and finds a way to get them off of the air craft carrier and holds them for me to drive to pick them up. 2 of 9 were dead on arrival but i transferred the rest into the 5 gal bucket i prepared with an air stone and heater for the long drive home.
    Day one everyone is the usual shy and hiding in the back of my 20 gal quarantine tank, one is lying flat on the ground for an hour or so and then shoots up sporadically and continues to gulp for air behind the filter for 2 days. Later i notice 1 is missing 90% of his pectoral fins on both sides, 2 have squished, misshapen eyes, 2 others are pooping out worms, another just stared at the back of the tank for about 5 days and all had very sad tucked up fins. I contacted the seller whom at first was very interactive through emails about the fish until he realizes how upset i am that he sent me a group of infested quasimodos and then i get crickets from him. I won't name the seller but please learn from my mistakes and do your research on your breeder.
    I started noticing some aggression among the ranks in the tight quarters of the 20 gal and decided after medicating to dump them all in the big tank.
    I'm about 3 weeks in now, bought a few more at the local pet store and now have 12, 1.5"-2"; a variety of colors. Since their arrival i have played with peat, just recently upgraded my peat brewing to a large trash can out in the garage; spent less than $10 to y off of the washing machine, stuffed a bag of peat into some old pantyhose, 24 hours to dechlor, mini subpump for circulation, a heater and it's rather easy. The peat stains the water in the tank but i really don't mind, my fish are loving it! I have successfully lowered the ph and hardness, very slowly, but they have all been striving in it. I feed them some pellets and frozen salad shrimp.
    I do about 30 to 50% w/c daily, add the desired amount of peat yada yada, they have been averaging 50-70ppm hardness and mid to high 6 ph.
    I did lose one guy while on vacation (3 days). We noticed he was sickly and didn't really pull through from the initial meds in the quarantine tank before we left town. I did a 90% water change the night before we left and set an automatic feeder for only twice a day feedings and came home to the sick guy passed away; everyone else fine and happy to see the shrimp lady!
    Since day one i calmly talked to them and hand transferred them to their tanks, my hands are always in the water at feeding times, i sit and talk to them while they eat. We're 3 weeks in and they are taking food out of my hand and softly brushing up against my fingers at feeding time. They come out to play as long as my kid hasn't recently ran screaming past them, all of their fins are erect so i think i/we are doing an ok job so far... My dad gets most of the credit. He has taken on to his new grand kids well, especially by putting up with my daily texts of paranoia!
    My dad forced me to join this forum to get advice and to help wrap my mind around these little guys and he was right again. I have learned a lot from the feeds, answered many of my questions from other posts and now would like to say thank you for allowing me to stalk your blogs silently but i'm here now to say hello and help with the little knowledge that i have.
    nice!!!!

Registered Member

Hello,
    My name is Harri. I live in Finland. Previously I have had a seawater aquarium for several years. Some years back we were living abroad for some time thus my aquarium hobby was taking a break. So after couple of years on a break I decided to put water again to the tank, but this time fresh water.
    I will set up to my 120 gallon tank + 30 gallon sump as an South American community tank with only few plans, thin layer of sand/gravel and some stones and bogwood.
    Plan is first to have 2 x Ancistrus sp. and 10 x Corydoras Sterbai to the bottom. And after janitorgroup I thought to add ca. 40 x Paracheirodon axelrodi and finally 10 x M-sizes discus. What do you think about sequence and quantity of the fishes? Any plant suggestions?

I have took some time already to read topics from this forum - quite informative forum you have here Hopefully I can contribute some information to the forum some day.

.Harri

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by HarriL View Post
    Hello,
    My name is Harri. I live in Finland. Previously I have had a seawater aquarium for several years. Some years back we were living abroad for some time thus my aquarium hobby was taking a break. So after couple of years on a break I decided to put water again to the tank, but this time fresh water.
    I will set up to my 120 gallon tank + 30 gallon sump as an South American community tank with only few plans, thin layer of sand/gravel and some stones and bogwood.
    Plan is first to have 2 x Ancistrus sp. and 10 x Corydoras Sterbai to the bottom. And after janitorgroup I thought to add ca. 40 x Paracheirodon axelrodi and finally 10 x M-sizes discus. What do you think about sequence and quantity of the fishes? Any plant suggestions?

I have took some time already to read topics from this forum - quite informative forum you have here Hopefully I can contribute some information to the forum some day.

.Harri
    Hi Harri and welcome back to the hobby and to our forum too.
    Your fish selection and quantity sounds reasonable for a 120gallon tank to me. But If you want a community display tank it's best to buy Grown 6 inch discus and possibly buy all your stock at the same time from the same breeder / vendor to avoid Cross contaimination.
    For Plants , you can keep the undemanding species like Echinodorus , Hygrophilia corymbosa , Vallisneria , Crypticoryne wendtii etc.
    Good luck with your project.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Susan Lahaie

Hello,
    I purchased a new 72 gallon bow front (biggest size I can fit into space) so am doing a new set up from scratch. I plan 7 four inch plus a school of rummy nose tetras and a few bristle nose plecps. \ My tap water is hard and alkaline. I have been using discus buffer and neutral regulator in the water before I add to the tank. As I am now doing research, it seems that many discus keepers are no longer adjusting pH. I use an API Filstar XP-L Canister Filter (for tanks up to 175 gallons) in my 46 gallon. I have been reading some of the very informative posts. I will definitely add a prefilter and a UV sterilizer I am considering a Hamberg Matten filter but can't find anything online other than DIY which is not my greatest strength. Would this even work in a bow front? Also does not seem very attractive. I have been very happy with API canister but am open to alternatives. I would like to create a more optimal discus environment. I would appreciate any advice you could give me to best prepare the new tank for discus.
    Many thanks,
    SusanL

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Andy

Alright here we go

Hi everyone. I live in San Diego,Ca. I've been keeping cichlids for about 3 years now. Started when the wife bought me a 75 gallon African Cichlid setup off Craigslist from a kid going off to college. We have 4 kids ourselves and they had all won Goldfish at the fair about 6 months prior which then became my Goldfish somehow. She saw I enjoyed the hobby and thus the rest is history. That tank has expanded and is now a 125 African Cichlid tank with about 35-40 species. Then there is Fred the Red Dragon Flowerhorn who now inhabits the 75 along with his new girlfriend Pink who is a Kamfa Flowerhorn (see how this goes). The most recent addition was adding a 70 Gallon Discus Tank a couple months ago. Being new to Discus I know I have a lot to learn. Currently the 4 fish (two Blood Pigeons and 2 Turquoise) bought from a LFS are doing well (Blood Pigeons have just spawned) and I am thoroughly enjoying the journey. Currently feeding Tetra Granules and frozen Bloodworms. Looking to add to the headcount very shortly. Hoping I got the breed names right. Anyhow I am running sand substrate and some plants, both of which I see are debated rather heavily. I am always open to suggestions. All tanks are also running dual SunSun 304Bs for filtration. I'll post up some photos later on.

Besides fishkeeping, I am 42 years old, married, 4 kids, I enjoy photography, Mountain Biking, anything outdoors and skateboarding. I'v lurked here for a bit and learned quite a bit. Thank you all for your contributions and I look forward to my time here.

Cheers

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by susanl View Post
    Hello,
    I purchased a new 72 gallon bow front (biggest size I can fit into space) so am doing a new set up from scratch. I plan 7 four inch plus a school of rummy nose tetras and a few bristle nose plecps. \ My tap water is hard and alkaline. I have been using discus buffer and neutral regulator in the water before I add to the tank. As I am now doing research, it seems that many discus keepers are no longer adjusting pH. I use an API Filstar XP-L Canister Filter (for tanks up to 175 gallons) in my 46 gallon. I have been reading some of the very informative posts. I will definitely add a prefilter and a UV sterilizer I am considering a Hamberg Matten filter but can't find anything online other than DIY which is not my greatest strength. Would this even work in a bow front? Also does not seem very attractive. I have been very happy with API canister but am open to alternatives. I would like to create a more optimal discus environment. I would appreciate any advice you could give me to best prepare the new tank for discus.
    Many thanks,
    SusanL

Hi and welcome Susan. I'm sorry for such a late reply to your post . I see that your PH dillemas has been already cleared up in another thread . For filtration I would stay with your API canister . Im not sure what size or GPH rate it has but if it's not very strong nor big you can put one more to be sure that you have provided maximal filtration .
    I'm not big fan of Hamburg mattens because they tend to trap a lot of dirt and look too unsightly for a display tank.
    Good luck with your new discus and please send photos of them .

Page 82 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast