Page 83 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1511

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Quote Originally Posted by cichlid619 View Post
    Alright here we go

Hi everyone. I live in San Diego,Ca. I've been keeping cichlids for about 3 years now. Started when the wife bought me a 75 gallon African Cichlid setup off Craigslist from a kid going off to college. We have 4 kids ourselves and they had all won Goldfish at the fair about 6 months prior which then became my Goldfish somehow. She saw I enjoyed the hobby and thus the rest is history. That tank has expanded and is now a 125 African Cichlid tank with about 35-40 species. Then there is Fred the Red Dragon Flowerhorn who now inhabits the 75 along with his new girlfriend Pink who is a Kamfa Flowerhorn (see how this goes). The most recent addition was adding a 70 Gallon Discus Tank a couple months ago. Being new to Discus I know I have a lot to learn. Currently the 4 fish (two Blood Pigeons and 2 Turquoise) bought from a LFS are doing well (Blood Pigeons have just spawned) and I am thoroughly enjoying the journey. Currently feeding Tetra Granules and frozen Bloodworms. Looking to add to the headcount very shortly. Hoping I got the breed names right. Anyhow I am running sand substrate and some plants, both of which I see are debated rather heavily. I am always open to suggestions. All tanks are also running dual SunSun 304Bs for filtration. I'll post up some photos later on.

Besides fishkeeping, I am 42 years old, married, 4 kids, I enjoy photography, Mountain Biking, anything outdoors and skateboarding. I'v lurked here for a bit and learned quite a bit. Thank you all for your contributions and I look forward to my time here.

Cheers
    Hi and welcome Andy . Im glad you've decided to participate in the forum rather than just lurking .
    I would love to see photos of your tank and fish.
    If they are already grown , sand and plants can be tolerable but be sure to keep the bottom in check with regular siphoning .
    Any new fish or palnt you add poses a risk of cross contamination to your current stock , so be careful ,play safe and practice the Quarantine procedure described on this forum when you decide to add more discus .
    Good luck Andy .

Registered Member

Hi my name is Ryan MacLaren, I a
    have been keeping fish for about 6 years, but have never pulled the trigger on getting into discus keeping. I am finally looking into getting into the hobby but i really wish i was still living in CT. I now live in rural LA due to a military and theres really no discus community here so thank god theres an online community!

Real Name
    Frank

Welcome Ryan. Thank you for your service. I look forward to hearing and seeing of your tank.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by rgmaclaren View Post
    have been keeping fish for about 6 years, but have never pulled the trigger on getting into discus keeping. I am finally looking into getting into the hobby but i really wish i was still living in CT. I now live in rural LA due to a military and theres really no discus community here so thank god theres an online community!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rgmaclaren View Post
    Ryan, like Rob Schneider says if the movies The Waterboy, Little Nicky, 50 First Dates, The Longest Yard, and Bedtime ..."You can do it!"

Registered Member

Hi everyone. New here. My names Lyle, new to discus but not new to freshwater fish. I've had my discus for about a week, so far so good. I've always been afraid of discus, though they were one of my dream fish. This first week has proved to be less complicated then I anticipated. Just following the golden rule, clean water! Lol excited to learn more and grow in discus fish keeping.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

welcome Lylejames I am 7 months into my discus life and daily water changes have become second (ok 3rd nature). they are such beautiful fish.. they are worth the effort.

Real Name
    Frank

Lloyd, still have a ways to go. WC become just what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by pm9ljr View Post
    welcome Lylejames I am 7 months into my discus life and daily water changes have become second (ok 3rd nature). they are such beautiful fish.. they are worth the effort.

Registered Member

It's only been a week and it's already-wake up, coffee, water test, water change, water test, start my day lol

Registered Member

Hello everyone, long term tropical fish enthusiast looking to do a bit of research into possibility of setting tank up to house discus.

I have been in the British Army (so excuse the subtle spelling differences) for 22 years now, I have just returned home from an overseas deployment so have a blank canvass with my tank to start fresh. I have a 160 ish US gallon (135 UK gallon) tank, which was previously used as a community tropical tank highlighting some fantastic Angels.

I look forward to reading through the forum and working out if I am able to provide the correct habitat for the beautiful fish that you all keep.

Regards

Daniel

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

Welcome Daniel - you have come to the right place for information. Best of luck on your fresh start tank makeover.

Real Name
    Brian

Welcome Daniel! Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind. Check out the beginners section and feel free to ask any questions you may have!!

Brian

Real Name
    Filip

Welcome Daniel . I'm sure your find a lots of useful info in this forum to successfully start with discus .Do not hesitate to ask questions and participate in threads too if you have dillemas about certain questions .

Registered Member

First of all this is a great site, full of great information. Having read through a lot of the information here I have come up with two conclusions: 1 I really want to enter the discus ownership fold 2 the time is not right for me to do this currently.

I have 2 years left in the Army before I have to leave and get a real job, at which point we will move into our long term house (once we have worked out which country we want to be in!). Factors for the house will inclue logistics for siting and servicing a number of tanks, one which will be a discus setup.

I am use to 25% weekly water changes but with time spent away from home I don't think it is realistic to be able to ensure I could achieve this and more on 3 to 4 times a week.

I will continue to lurk on the site looking to increase knowledge until the time I can provide an environment these beautiful fish deserve.

If anyone can recommend an interesting alternative to keep I am all ears (or I guess eyes as I am reading the forum) I have previously kept communiry tropical and African cichlids.

Have a great weekend

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Divingdan11 View Post
    First of all this is a great site, full of great information. Having read through a lot of the information here I have come up with two conclusions: 1 I really want to enter the discus ownership fold 2 the time is not right for me to do this currently.

I have 2 years left in the Army before I have to leave and get a real job, at which point we will move into our long term house (once we have worked out which country we want to be in!). Factors for the house will inclue logistics for siting and servicing a number of tanks, one which will be a discus setup.

I am use to 25% weekly water changes but with time spent away from home I don't think it is realistic to be able to ensure I could achieve this and more on 3 to 4 times a week.

I will continue to lurk on the site looking to increase knowledge until the time I can provide an environment these beautiful fish deserve.

If anyone can recommend an interesting alternative to keep I am all ears (or I guess eyes as I am reading the forum) I have previously kept communiry tropical and African cichlids.

Have a great weekend
    Hi and welcome to this Forum Dan .
    Too bad that you cant satisfy your desire for discus right this moment , but the longer you wait and prepare the more you will enjoy them , once the time comes I guess .
    Altums or Angelfish can look good too in a nice natural looking tank and they do not require the maintenance of discus . You can try keeping them untill your free of duty and ready to focus on discus .

Good luck with your choice , and keep on reading and interacting the forum to prepare your self for succes when the time comes .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kellin

Hello everyone! My name is Kellin and I live in the middle of the US in Nebraska. I am new to the discus scene as well as this forum and have been doing a lot of lurking to learn about this lovely fish. I recently acquired a nice sample of fry from Al and am loving every second taking care of these little guys. I have almost 12 years of experience with tropical fish including breeding Angels as well as raising larger fish and scaping nano tanks. It has been around ten days since I got my fish from Al so I wanted to come on and post and say hello to everyone!

Page 83 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast