AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 84 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 1511

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

G'day Kellin, welcome to SD. Tell us about your fry raising strategy and show us some pics/vid if you can. Love to see some pics of your nano scapes as well if you have them. They need to be <2mb to post.
    Cheers mate,
    Danny

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Alan Jones

Hi, my name is Alan and I live in Hampshire, in the UK (40 miles west of London). I am married with three sons (16 to 21) and have been keeping aquariums on and off for 45 years. Over this time I have had mainly a mid sized community tank but I did delve into Marines about 30 years ago but which turned out to be a costly disaster.

Three months ago I converted my 200l tank into a discus tank having not realised that discus from 3.5" plus are far more hardy than the juveniles.

I have just ordered a 60" x 30" x 24" custom tank, sump and cabinet (approx 160g incl. sump) from a UK supplier to provide a more stable and spectacular environment. I have been learning lots from this forum about the Overflow & plumbing options, Auto WC etc. I am looking at a Coast to Coast overflow and I intend keeping a diary of this tank build when I take delivery and will post it up on the forum. My wife is threatening doing likewise but from a more humorous stance, i.e. from the perspective of a incredulous wife who really can't see the motivation beyond what we already have got apart from far greater expense on equipment, another £700+ of stock, a greater risk of leakage over our wooden floors etc. Worth every penny I say as she isn't the one having to do two manual WC's a week using four 25l tubs. She knows it keeps me happy so she is fine with it really but I am reminded of the adage '... many a true word is spoken in jest!'. The way I see it is that if writing her own journal helps with her stress it is a lot cheaper than therapy! :-)

My other hobby is Metal Detecting and I am a member of a few clubs that organise digs in the UK which involve the county archaeology finds officer, so quite legitimate! We find generally find iron age, bronze age, Celtic, Roman, Anglo Saxon, hammered coins (medieval) artefacts and coinage.

Metal Detecting is my outside passion whilst my Discus tank is my inside passion and takes a far greater proportion of my spare time (plus time that arguably isn't spare when 'her indoors' points at the 'to-do' list! lol!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ashok Varghese

Hi,
    I don't have any discus yet! Not even an aquarium! However, I purchased acrylic sheets, and plumbing supplies to build a 120 gallon tank. I fell in love with discus fish over a year ago. Since then I watch all most all YouTube videos about discus and I am ready to take the plunge! I know watching videos and keeping discus may be like learning to swim by online classes and swim across Panama canal. Still I want to try and learn. I will start with 2 or for fish first, I promise.

I am from Michigan. I came to United States in 1990. I was a jewelry designer and after college and 9/11, I switch my career. I still make jewelry. I also enjoy woodworking. I here to learn and enjoy fish stories.

Ashok

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by leanandmeannot View Post
    Hi, my name is Alan and I live in Hampshire, in the UK (40 miles west of London). I am married with three sons (16 to 21) and have been keeping aquariums on and off for 45 years. Over this time I have had mainly a mid sized community tank but I did delve into Marines about 30 years ago but which turned out to be a costly disaster.

Three months ago I converted my 200l tank into a discus tank having not realised that discus from 3.5" plus are far more hardy than the juveniles.

I have just ordered a 60" x 30" x 24" custom tank, sump and cabinet (approx 160g incl. sump) from a UK supplier to provide a more stable and spectacular environment. I have been learning lots from this forum about the Overflow & plumbing options, Auto WC etc. I am looking at a Coast to Coast overflow and I intend keeping a diary of this tank build when I take delivery and will post it up on the forum. My wife is threatening doing likewise but from a more humorous stance, i.e. from the perspective of a incredulous wife who really can't see the motivation beyond what we already have got apart from far greater expense on equipment, another £700+ of stock, a greater risk of leakage over our wooden floors etc. Worth every penny I say as she isn't the one having to do two manual WC's a week using four 25l tubs. She knows it keeps me happy so she is fine with it really but I am reminded of the adage '... many a true word is spoken in jest!'. The way I see it is that if writing her own journal helps with her stress it is a lot cheaper than therapy! :-)

My other hobby is Metal Detecting and I am a member of a few clubs that organise digs in the UK which involve the county archaeology finds officer, so quite legitimate! We find generally find iron age, bronze age, Celtic, Roman, Anglo Saxon, hammered coins (medieval) artefacts and coinage.

Metal Detecting is my outside passion whilst my Discus tank is my inside passion and takes a far greater proportion of my spare time (plus time that arguably isn't spare when 'her indoors' points at the 'to-do' list! lol!
    Hi Alan and welcome to the forum .
    I'm looking forward following your new 160 Gallon tank build journal here.
    What strains of discus are you in to ? You plan to raise juvies or start with community or biotope display tank?
    Please start a new thread in " our tank journals " subforum once you are set and ready to share to share your experience .
    Last edited by Filip; 05-08-2019 at 05:02 AM.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by AngryDiscus View Post
    Hi,
    I don't have any discus yet! Not even an aquarium! However, I purchased acrylic sheets, and plumbing supplies to build a 120 gallon tank. I fell in love with discus fish over a year ago. Since then I watch all most all YouTube videos about discus and I am ready to take the plunge! I know watching videos and keeping discus may be like learning to swim by online classes and swim across Panama canal. Still I want to try and learn. I will start with 2 or for fish first, I promise.

I am from Michigan. I came to United States in 1990. I was a jewelry designer and after college and 9/11, I switch my career. I still make jewelry. I also enjoy woodworking. I here to learn and enjoy fish stories.

Ashok
    HI and welcome Ashok.
    You are on the right track since you've started learning before you decided to take the plunge .
    Please watch the Simply discus owners 1+ hour Video on discus in the begginer section sticky subjets .it's a very informative video addressing all the aspects of discus keeping . You might as well go through the other sticky subjects in the begginer section.
    The best way to start with discus is to buy at least 6 discus in the same time and from the same source and start them as your first fish in a new tank .
    Don't start with just ploping 1-2 discus in an established community tank full of other fish because most likely you will be disappointed with the results right from the start.
    Cheers

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ashok Varghese

Thank you Filip,
    I will be getting ten small ones from Al. As I am finishing up the stand this weekend, I think it will be at least 2 or here weeks from getting it. I was gradually gathering all the equipment in the meantime. My nephew had an aquarium with anoxic filtration and he swear that that's the best thing he ever done for his aquarium. I will be setting that up in a 55 gallon tank I bought on craigslist. I am wondering how I can cycle my aquarium without adding any fish? Did you say add Discus before establishing the aquarium? or add some cardinal Tetras to start it?
    Thank you for your support

Ashok
    Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    HI and welcome Ashok.
    You are on the right track since you've started learning before you decided to take the plunge .
    Please watch the Simply discus owners 1+ hour Video on discus in the begginer section sticky subjets .it's a very informative video addressing all the aspects of discus keeping . You might as well go through the other sticky subjects in the begginer section.
    The best way to start with discus is to buy at least 6 discus in the same time and from the same source and start them as your first fish in a new tank .
    Don't start with just ploping 1-2 discus in an established community tank full of other fish because most likely you will be disappointed with the results right from the start.
    Cheers

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by AngryDiscus View Post
    Thank you Filip,
    I will be getting ten small ones from Al. As I am finishing up the stand this weekend, I think it will be at least 2 or here weeks from getting it. I was gradually gathering all the equipment in the meantime. My nephew had an aquarium with anoxic filtration and he swear that that's the best thing he ever done for his aquarium. I will be setting that up in a 55 gallon tank I bought on craigslist. I am wondering how I can cycle my aquarium without adding any fish? Did you say add Discus before establishing the aquarium? or add some cardinal Tetras to start it?
    Thank you for your support

Ashok
    Als discus are great and very healthy stock to start with Ashok. Another bonus is that you will get the best informations first hand , that I'm sure Al will be more than willing to provide about the care of those little ones .

I meant that the best way is to avoid cross contamination and food competitors issues by starting with discus only bare bottom tank .
    Search for fishless cycle with household Amonia and try to start your tank fishless .
    You can also ask Al to send you a seeded sponge from the same tank along with his discus .
    On top of that be prepared to change + 50 % water daily , at least in the first 2-3 weeks .
    If you do all of these precaution steps I'm sure you won't have any problems with Nh3 and No2 from an uncycled filter .

Good choice and good luck Ashok . Ill be surely following your grow out thread .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Alf

G'day, my name is Alf and I live on the Central Coast of NSW, Australia, about 80 kilometers north of Sydney.
    I started keeping and breeding a large variety of Central and South American Cichlids in the early 1970's.

I started breeding Discus in the early 80's and was also able to raise the fry away from the parents using egg yolk.
    Not much variety in those days, just the browns and the occassional Heckle.

After 19 years of cichlids I moved to marine/reef tanks which I enjoyed for the last 27 odd years.

Now I will be getting back into my first love... Discus.
    Just waiting for the house to sell before I get going again.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by alfdl View Post
    G'day, my name is Alf and I live on the Central Coast of NSW, Australia, about 80 kilometers north of Sydney.
    I started keeping and breeding a large variety of Central and South American Cichlids in the early 1970's.

I started breeding Discus in the early 80's and was also able to raise the fry away from the parents using egg yolk.
    Not much variety in those days, just the browns and the occassional Heckle.

After 19 years of cichlids I moved to marine/reef tanks which I enjoyed for the last 27 odd years.

Now I will be getting back into my first love... Discus.
    Just waiting for the house to sell before I get going again.
    Hi Alf and welcome back to discus .
    That's quite a lot of experience you have behind you Alf , I'm impressed.
    Todays discus keeping should be much easier with all the knowledge in the past years and should be more fun with all the strains and availability we have.
    I believe you won't regret getting back to discus again and certainly not for joining this helpful community.
    Please share your photos and stories from your discus journey here with us once you are set and ready to start .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Alf

Thanks Filip, I'm itching to get back into it.
    Hopefully in a few months time, I'll be able to start posting details and photo's.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ian V.

Hello everyone!

My Name is Ian, I am new to the hobby but I have about four breeding pairs. I have been breeding for about three months now. I have always been a hobbyist, when I was younger it started with betas that eventually grew.

I started working at a pet store when I was a teenager and fell in love with it. I had to give it up for a while after I joined the service. Now that I am retired I am back at it again.

I hope to learn as much as I can from everyone here. I have tons of questions about breeding. I appreciate any feedback and nice to meet everyone!

AquaBox

Real Name
    Patty

Welcome Ian,
    You’ve come to the right place to learn about breeding discus and anything else you want to know. With 4 breeding pairs you are off to a great start. What kind of discus are you into? How many tanks do you have? Looking forward to hearing more about your set up. Do you have other types of fish besides discus? Always good to meet another discus nut!
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by aquabox View Post
    Hello everyone!

My Name is Ian, I am new to the hobby but I have about four breeding pairs. I have been breeding for about three months now. I have always been a hobbyist, when I was younger it started with betas that eventually grew.

I started working at a pet store when I was a teenager and fell in love with it. I had to give it up for a while after I joined the service. Now that I am retired I am back at it again.

I hope to learn as much as I can from everyone here. I have tons of questions about breeding. I appreciate any feedback and nice to meet everyone!

AquaBox
    Hi Ian, you are definitely in the right spot to learn about anything discus. Care to share what strains you are working with? Perhaps some pics also?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Hi . my name is mostafa
    from Egypt
    I am very happy to join this great forum
    I kept many fish until I fell in love Discus fish , But I was hesitant Because caring.

And now
    I keep 10 fry , I wish I had good luck with it

Real Name
    Patty

Hi Mostafa
    Welcome to the forum. Check out the discus grow out challenge for valuable information on growing out fry. Good luck to you and keep us posted. If you love discus, you are in the right place here!
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Page 84 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast