AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 86 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 1511

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris Trouten

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Hi. My name is Chris and I live in Idaho. I used to keep freshwater fish and a small reef system nearly 20 years ago. My freshwater experiences included German Rams and discus. I was very successful with the rams, successfully breeding them. I was not so successful in keeping the discus, but after nearly a two decade break from the hobby, I have a desire to try it again. I was very happy to find this forum as I have been researching and planning my new tank.

Welcome! I find German Blue Rams more sensitive that Discus. I've bred lots and lots or Discus but I was never successful with the rams. I have a lot to learn from you. You will find tons of information here as well as members who know their stuff and love to share what they know.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

g'day Chris...welcome to SD!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris Trouten

Thank you.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Chris and welcome to Simply. I am like Liz on having a difficult time keeping rams. I am currently trying my hand with a group of young black rams. They are doing well so far.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

Hi. My name is Jason, i'm from Wichita, Kansas. I am new but I am also old to discus. Kept them about 20 years ago, since I have done planted tanks, and most recently a reef and a FOWLR. All the saltwater was sold off a couple years ago when a parent had some health issues and I just did not have the time to dedicate to the scale the reef needed. Now I am back with a tank and looking to do discus yet again, guess i am going back to my first aquarium addiction. I see a few things have changed but seems to be the same as well. As of now the cycle waiting game has begun as of of 7/15/19.

Real Name
    Brian

Welcome to the forum Jason!! If you have any questions, never hesitate to ask!!!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Efi64comet View Post
    Hi. My name is Jason, i'm from Wichita, Kansas. I am new but I am also old to discus. Kept them about 20 years ago, since I have done planted tanks, and most recently a reef and a FOWLR. All the saltwater was sold off a couple years ago when a parent had some health issues and I just did not have the time to dedicate to the scale the reef needed. Now I am back with a tank and looking to do discus yet again, guess i am going back to my first aquarium addiction. I see a few things have changed but seems to be the same as well. As of now the cycle waiting game has begun as of of 7/15/19.
    Hi Jason and welcome to Simply You have definitely come to the right place to learn or relearn about discus. Please be sure to ask questions and share your new discus journey.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed Simpson

Hi all,

My name is Ed I live in Suzhou China and have been here for 10+ years.

I currently have a custom 80 gallon cube reef tank mostly SPS.

I just tore down an other custom reef tank 57 gal plus 23 gal sump, this is the tank I plan to use for discus. (two reefs is to much)

I did try discus back in the states about 20 years ago and was not successful primarily due me traveling a lot and not having the time to spend on maintenance.

My plan is a planted tank, not too much just the back with a couple pieces of drift wood, a sump filter with refugium.

RO water being that I have a large system in place for the reef tanks, automatic water change 5% per day.

I am concerned about getting healthy fish here, I see a lot of shops that have discus but the health of the fish and tank conditions are not so good.

So if anyone can offer some words of wisdom I am eager to listen and learn.

Best regards,

Ed

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kevin Winters

Greetings all,

My name is Kevin and I’m from Bristol CT. I’m a 23 year Air Force vet. I started out working the T-38A and stayed with the F-15 C and D models most of my career (dabbled a bit with the A-10, F-16 and F-22).

For the record, my name breaks down to I worked the F-15.

X-is a job we did at one time
    F-15 – Worlds air superiority aircraft, 104 air to air kills with no losses
    D- dedicated
    C-crew
    C-chief

I had a few tanks while in Germany (1987-1999). One day my son decided he was going to help me with the weekly water change and cleaning and I turned my back for a second and before I knew it, a bottle of Pine Sol was in the tank. Needless to say that tank was toast. I started another tank around 2001 while in Virginia but a few years into it we had a hurricane and lost power for a week and all in the tank was lost.

So now that the kids are grown and my second life is going (I retired in 2006 and relocated for a job in CT) I’m slowly planning on getting back into getting another tank. Discus has always raised an interest with me. Now there is more info to review. Back before the internet it was a bit difficult to find a source of info.I found this page via you tube.
    I’m in sponge mode now, absorbing information and trying to make heads and tails of it. My daughter is getting married in October and once that is done I can focus on a set up. Until then it’s sponge mode.

Registered Member

yes .sure
    tank =80 gallon
    3month ago I buy 10 fry 1" and feed it beef heart , hikari
    I have had some difficulties but have been successfully resolved so far and have reached their size 3-4"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by M.gonem; 07-25-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Registered Member

Thank You Filip! I am enjoying my time here and there is so much to learn on this forum 👍🏻👍🏻
    My Discuss are doing really well, there are 12 of them and a pair already established, attaching some pics which I took very recently .

I feed them ABW with Spinach with Seachem Vitality.
    The tank is 42 inch* 12 inch * 24 inch height

Real Name
    Christopher Austill

Hello, my name is Chris I live in North Texas. Have had minimal success with Discus years ago “1 bully pushed 7 others to the breaking point” that single Discus (male leopard) went on to live with my next obsession Earth Eaters mainly of the Satanoperca types. Have always kept German Blue Rams even with the larger species along with Rummynose lol for some reason they have ended up in every tank I’ve had, yes always South American... For the past year or so I’ve been more into planted aquaria of the low tech type “no c02”

A couple of months ago my Wife and I were at a lfs “not looking to buy fish” while browsing we came across a breeding pair of Discus for sale (male= possible yellow panda, female= possible eruption) my Wife really wanted to rescue this pair so, they came home with us... As I expected we battled parasites in the female, both fish treated but the male never showed any signs of ailments and after over a month long battle we lost the female. The male immediately went on a hunger strike after loosing his mate so, after researching we narrowed down were to get a female “totally prepared to get a group if need be”.
    I hope a “plug” or “shoutout” is ok...
    We decided to purchase from Dennis Discus and extremely happy we found him through our search! Received the most beautiful Red Pigeon I’ve ever seen in person and in excellent health as well as the absolute best online buying experience my Wife & I have ever had!
    Have had the female Red Pigeon 6.5” for 6 days now and our male is eating again and they seem to be bonding, thus far things are Great!

I’m here to learn and grow with this new found (Discus Bug) lol
    All suggestions, constructive criticisms are greatly appreciated and thus far just entering my questions in the search bar has taken me to some great answers & directions! Love this place already!

Tank set up= Planted 180 gal RR
    Sunsun 304b, hw-3000 & hw-5000 canister filters and a diy overhead sump setup for denitrafication (approx 50 gph)
    PH= 6
    KH= 0-1
    GH= 9 (around 155ppm)
    Temp= 85 Fahrenheit
    Ammonia & Nitrites always at 0, but Nitrates are still a struggle if anyone has a magical cure lol
    I do weekly 25-30% water change aging new water in 50gal tub circulating with peat moss under a powerhead to bring tap water PH down to 6 or very close before water change. I use Purigen in all 3 canister filters along with Phosguard in 1 of them.
    Stock=
    7” possible yellow panda 6.5” red pigeon
    1 Pair of blue rams
    5 clown plecos or “L104”
    30+ rummynose
    Few cory cats & ottocinclus

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by amol1024 View Post
    Thank You Filip! I am enjoying my time here and there is so much to learn on this forum ��������
    My Discuss are doing really well, there are 12 of them and a pair already established, attaching some pics which I took very recently .

I feed them ABW with Spinach with Seachem Vitality.
    The tank is 42 inch* 12 inch * 24 inch height
    IMG_0588.jpg

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Ausprig View Post
    Hello, my name is Chris I live in North Texas. Have had minimal success with Discus years ago “1 bully pushed 7 others to the breaking point” that single Discus (male leopard) went on to live with my next obsession Earth Eaters mainly of the Satanoperca types. Have always kept German Blue Rams even with the larger species along with Rummynose lol for some reason they have ended up in every tank I’ve had, yes always South American... For the past year or so I’ve been more into planted aquaria of the low tech type “no c02”

A couple of months ago my Wife and I were at a lfs “not looking to buy fish” while browsing we came across a breeding pair of Discus for sale (male= possible yellow panda, female= possible eruption) my Wife really wanted to rescue this pair so, they came home with us... As I expected we battled parasites in the female, both fish treated but the male never showed any signs of ailments and after over a month long battle we lost the female. The male immediately went on a hunger strike after loosing his mate so, after researching we narrowed down were to get a female “totally prepared to get a group if need be”.
    I hope a “plug” or “shoutout” is ok...
    We decided to purchase from Dennis Discus and extremely happy we found him through our search! Received the most beautiful Red Pigeon I’ve ever seen in person and in excellent health as well as the absolute best online buying experience my Wife & I have ever had!
    Have had the female Red Pigeon 6.5” for 6 days now and our male is eating again and they seem to be bonding, thus far things are Great!

I’m here to learn and grow with this new found (Discus Bug) lol
    All suggestions, constructive criticisms are greatly appreciated and thus far just entering my questions in the search bar has taken me to some great answers & directions! Love this place already!

Tank set up= Planted 180 gal RR
    Sunsun 304b, hw-3000 & hw-5000 canister filters and a diy overhead sump setup for denitrafication (approx 50 gph)
    PH= 6
    KH= 0-1
    GH= 9 (around 155ppm)
    Temp= 85 Fahrenheit
    Ammonia & Nitrites always at 0, but Nitrates are still a struggle if anyone has a magical cure lol
    I do weekly 25-30% water change aging new water in 50gal tub circulating with peat moss under a powerhead to bring tap water PH down to 6 or very close before water change. I use Purigen in all 3 canister filters along with Phosguard in 1 of them.
    Stock=
    7” possible yellow panda 6.5” red pigeon
    1 Pair of blue rams
    5 clown plecos or “L104”
    30+ rummynose
    Few cory cats & ottocinclus
    Hi Chris. I bought my fish from Dennis also and had a great experience as well. He is a sponsor on the site so your shout-out is very appropriate!!
    I am wondering/hoping you quarantined your new discus before adding it to your tank. It does seem that your male was immune to something that the female succumbed too. Your new Red Pigeon may or may not be immune to whatever the male is a carrier of, or something present in your tank that the male is resistant too but the female wasn't. Plz watch her closely for the next 6 weeks mate!
    Last edited by danotaylor; 09-02-2019 at 06:45 AM.

Page 86 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast