AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 93 of 101 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 1511

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

New, actually returning to the forum after a many year absence. I had a 110g Amazon Biotope with discus when living in NJ. We moved to Downeast Maine 5 years ago after retiring from a career in the airlines. I've downsized to a 60 gal community tank with only 4 discus. 2 of them got very friendly and now I have a 20H with about 50 fry. Sort of an odd couple, Blue Diamond and Rafflesia, what will the offspring look like? This is my first batch, and they've made it past the 4 wk mark. Looks like I'll be needing another aquarium or more.

Living the retirement life, busier than when working. Building boats,using them occasionally, brewing beer, painting, watercolors and egg tempera, plenty of honey-do projects, trying to stay healthy with long dog walks and swims at the Y pretty much fill up the days.

breeding kids.jpg

Registered Member

Hello! Glad to be here!

I just bought a 65 gallon acrylic aquarium and am in the planning stages of set up right now. I have kept freshwater and saltwater fish in the past, but never discus. So, I am brand new to discus and have many questions, but I'll try to do my reading first before I bombard the board with questions.

Hi Spacemouse. I'm Mama Bear. welcome to the forum. Read around and ask any questions you have. We enjoy helping new Discus people.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Francis

Are you new to discus? WATCH THIS VIDEO! By Al Sabetta owner of Simply Discus forum.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpacemouse View Post
    Hello! Glad to be here!

I just bought a 65 gallon acrylic aquarium and am in the planning stages of set up right now. I have kept freshwater and saltwater fish in the past, but never discus. So, I am brand new to discus and have many questions, but I'll try to do my reading first before I bombard the board with questions.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome, and the link to the video! I will definitely watch that.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jp

Hi! Im Jp from brazil! Nice to learn with you guys!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

G'day from Australia via Ohio USA Jp! Welcome to a great place to learn

Registered Member
    Real Name
    George

Hello everyone,
    I am setting up a new 125 Gallon aquarium that will house my first go with Discus. I have been keeping fish for a few years and think it is time to make the jump to the big leagues. My hope with joining this forum is to learn as much as I can before I put fish in the tank. I will be running a Fluval FX4 and 2 spunge filters. I still need to get some heaters and lighting for the tank. Thanks for having me!
    0921191627a_HDR (2).jpg

Real Name
    Tom

Welcome!! But you’ll need a bigger tank for that guy .

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Gillfish3 View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I am setting up a new 125 Gallon aquarium that will house my first go with Discus. I have been keeping fish for a few years and think it is time to make the jump to the big leagues. My hope with joining this forum is to learn as much as I can before I put fish in the tank. I will be running a Fluval FX4 and 2 spunge filters. I still need to get some heaters and lighting for the tank. Thanks for having me!
    0921191627a_HDR (2).jpg
    Welcome to Simply Discus George, and good luck with your discus journey. Discus are really not that hard to keep, as you will find out, and as long as you maintain some basic principles, but mainly by doing regular water changes.

I see you're a fisherman as well...is that a Sturgeon? Id like to hear more about your fishing experiences over there...maybe you can contribute some info' in my fishing thread on here at Simply Discus.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ISHING!/page32

Good luck
    Last edited by two utes; 06-08-2021 at 09:45 PM.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jordan

Hi everyone. My name is Jordan Boggs. I live in illinois with my wife Kristine who has 3 kids. Although they're not so much kids anymore . 17, 18 and 21. I'm 30 years young. I work as a production manager of the digital print department of a print shop. Excited to learn more things here and further my knowledge in this hobby

Hello

My name is Carlos I have kept fish in my early days with a a few 55 gallon tanks and a little breading to maintain the hobby. Now later in life I decided to start up again with a 75 gallon and possibly move up to a 125 soon or several 75 gallons (the 75's are easier for me to pickup and handle). I don't want to go much bigger since you never know when we will pack it up and move further south. Luckily I live fairly close to Han Discus so supply is near by.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 10-13-2021 at 01:11 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

Welcome!! Sounds good. Pictures when your set up. Acrylic is much lighter than glass. I can move my 125s .

Welcome to the forum of Discus knowledge.

Tom, sure acrylic is light but it's arm and leg expensive. It is a better size for a group of Discus, though. They appreciate the greater length and width.

You are so lucky to live close enough to Hansie to pick your fish in person. What size are you getting? I suggest getting big fish. They are so much more tolerant of the mistake we can all make but folks new to Discus make more often. Discus are easy if you set up to give them what they need.
    Mama Bear

Liz I picked up from Hans 2 x 4" German wonder and 3 x 5" Brilliant Turquoise I would like to get also 1 x 5" checkerboard and 1 x 5" blue diamond (possibly next week).

20211012_214554.jpg

20211012_214601.jpg

Right now I have a 75 Gallon with sponge filter and a Fluval FX4 hard piped to do easy water changes from 2 X 20 gallon aging tanks. I think another 75 or 125 is in the cards but 75's I can handle on my own to pick up and setup. Lot's of nice tanks for sale used on Craigslist.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 10-14-2021 at 08:46 AM.

Page 93 of 101 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast