AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 96 of 101 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 1511

Thread: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Tell us about yourselves....Please

Welcome Bart! Feel free to ask anything you wish and we'll do our best!! Nice tank!!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Hello everyone,

I am a former Discus owner and am now getting back into it after almost 15 years...so my children can enjoy the hobby I had. Discus are by far my favorite fish. My previous tank was a 46g bowfront and I had 4 Discus and 2 veil Angelfish, along with a bottlebrush nose Pleco.

This time around I am starting a 75g and plan on 6 Discus, 2 Angels, and 2 yellow bottlebrush nose Plecos. Waiting on the tank to normalize, then time for the fish.

Kids can't wait!!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Hi Everyone. My name is Tom I moved to Minnesota in 2019. Late 2020 I got back into Discus after about 20 years away from them. I noticed how big the aquarium hobby is here in the Twin Cities area and yet how poor the quality of discus are. I ended up with 5 breeding pairs and going strong. Never realized how difficult it can be to get quality pairs, driving and flying around the country as well as reaching out to the big name importers. I am hoping to help out my local area with knowledge on caring for discus successfully and provide an option at least for something healthy juveniles.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

So I joined here a couple weeks ago and thought it was about time to introduce myself. We, my wife and I, kept and bred discus about thirty years ago, pre-internet. I got the idea it was time to get some more.

We are starting small, at least compared to our last fish room. I bought four 55s on black Friday. I am building a stand for six 55s and six 29s. I think I have six 29s that are about 25-30 years old that have never been used. That is if they have not been stolen or vandalized in my storage building. I am planning on re-sealing them.

I have to get a suitable container to age water. Probably a 200-300 gallon tote. We have soft, acidic well water. It is about 40 ppm TDS. It is so soft and acidic that we can not use copper plumbing. Bad for plumbing, great for discus.

I have the wood and most of the supplies to build the stands when I get home in a few days. I work on the road as a tele-communications contractor.

After the tanks are set up and I get a water container to age water and a central air pump I can start looking for discus.
    I want to get some from a breeder as this time I want excellent quality fish that have not been hormoned. Shape will trump color. We had very nice fish before, just want better this time.

Wish me luck drilling all of these tanks as I have never drilled one before. The goal is to make water changes as easy as possible. We used a pvc drain/fill system years ago but the tanks were not drilled.

Good luck with the drilling. You seem to know what you're doing. Are you interested in a particular strain? It will be hard to find a domestic breeder, but I'm sure they're out there. There is me, but I have nothing for sale right now (pairs are on strike) and I know a guy, John Nicholson in Texas. He used to be into Turks, but that was a long time ago. He may be breeding fish from Asian stock now. There must be more serious breeders around but he and I are the only ones I know of.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Bill

Hello
    I have been a Paramedic for 38 years and retiring this year. Looking forward to spending more time in my hobbies. I live in the country along with my son, no wife, on 11 acres where I've done some farming raising a variety of animals at one time, now just bees and chickens. I have BS, MS in biology and have taught school for awhile as a science teacher. I did my Master thesis on The distribution of Darters in the Allegheny River in New York state. After returning to PA I worked for the Pennsylvania Fish commission on some projects. I also was a field bioligist and worked on the Environmental impact study for the Southern Tier Expressway. I joined the Fire Dept in my community and ended up in EMS as a career medic. I guess I liked helping people who needed help and liked the challenge and diversity of all kinds of emergencies from the mundane to critical life saving situations and to think on your feet which you been trained to do.
    I'm excited about raising Discus as I've been wanting to for a long time, but never seemed to have the time or the money. Now I have the time, and ready to invest in Discus and setup several tanks I had. This is a passion of mine and hopefully get into breeding. I have been raising Tropical fish since I was 11 and raising bees for 50 years. I have 4 juvenile Discus which I acquired 4 weeks ago which are growing and doing fine. I have more on the way ready for the isolation tank, including some Angels. I started a RO and water changing system which works great after drillling holes thru the floor and wall for my heated 55 gal. holding tank and drains. Looking forward to being active in this forum and learning from all of you with your knowledge and experience.
    Last edited by medic60by; 01-29-2023 at 09:13 PM.

Bill, Welcome to the hobby! I'm glad you found the forum and hope to see you around it often. Great group of people here with alot of years keeping discus. If you have questions , odds are the answers are here.

Al

Ps would love for you to share your experiences on Darters in a thread sometime.. I have always been interested in these natives.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Greg

Hello all, dang glad to be here.

I am temporarily taking care of my teenage sons several tanks, fresh and one reef - for the last several months, and will continue...

I was born and raised in Lakeland and Winter Park FL and now live in Lake Mary, but had a few years in Milwaukee so got a taste of that. Great for kids, not so much for me as an adult, lol.
    I'm a business owner and family man who goes to church, has 2 kids in their teens, 4 dogs (2 boxers, a peke and pug) and a loving wife.
    I enjoy boating and fishing for Bass, dirtbiking, aquariums, puttering, all water sports, and fixing things.
    Oh, and I love cars. Just sold a beautiful Camaro and own a 1966 Mustang coupe restomod with a 302, 4-speed and 9 inch rear.
    A restomod is a classic car that rumbles, has mag wheels, and is performance-oriented.

Greg
    `·.¸¸.·´><(((( º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ....... ><((( º> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <º (((((( >< ~~~~~~~~~~~

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by dspeers View Post
    Thanks Don!
    `·.¸¸.·´><(((( º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ....... ><((( º> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <º (((((( >< ~~~~~~~~~~~

Real Name
    Greg

Nice '67 Don !!
    Hard to tell but the paint looks really slick. Beautiful blue!
    I have a '66 now, have had several.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg

Hi Discus People-

I'm Greg, I kept fish when I was a kid and young adult but then didn't for about 22 years while I raised four kids with my wife. I jumped back in enthusiastically at the beginning of 2022. A lot had changed in the hobby in those 22 years but the basics were still the same. I dove into planted tanks, a touch of breeding, an outdoor fancy goldfish/mut guppy pond, and more. I was especially fond of a planted german blue ram tank that I love.

I've spent most of the last year on these tanks:
    • a rimless 66 gallon planted blue ram and electric blue acaras
    • a 22 gallon rimless shallow tank with german blue rams
    • a 40 gallon breeder that stores extra plants and a community of friendlies
    • a 25 gallon rimless guppy colony
    • a fluval flex setup with a south american puffer
    • a 100 gallon outdoor pond (made from a cattle feeder) that houses fancy goldfish and mut guppies
    • a 30 gallon outdoor planter with rice fish and plants

I've had a great time, although my wife is sometimes concerned that I may have a brain injury or something that causes me to want to keep more and different fish .

Discus were always my favorite fish to look at but the stereotypes kept me away (hard to keep, have to do endless water changes, etc). But after a year+ of jumping back in and keeping more and more fish I decided to go for it.

So in the last month I've added a 180 gallon cichlid tank and a 75 gallon discus tank. Here are a few videos of the new tanks: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0dGnbeum67WFU

I'm a week into my Discus keeping. Already dealing with some parasites. But reading and gleaning everything I can from everyone here and they seem happy and are eating out of my hand in spite of their infections. Treating with paraguard for the next couple of weeks and keeping things clean and warm in the meantime.

Looking forward to meeting people and exchanging information. I'm from Baltimore, MD and am an empty nester (the youngest is still in college but the older three are out, two are married and I have two grandkids).

Greg

Hi Greg, it's good to meet you. Read around this forum. You'll find that everyone is friendly and helpful answering questions.

What kind of parasite do you suspect? I see one fish in the batch that looks stunted, The rest look pretty healthy to me. The water flow seems quite strong in that tank
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Greg

Nice to meet you Greg, welcome. I'm new here also... inheriting a few tanks and Discus and everyone's been great, very helpful.
    Thanks for the vids, I like the silver dollars! Yes, that one discus is a small one.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg

Thanks for the welcome Liz and Greg. I ordered all of the fish in the 3.5-4.5” range but the one fish was only available in 3”. That one is actually growing quite rapidly and 10 days later is also thriving. Actually all of them are growing really well.

I’m not sure what the parasite is. The cardinals had ich within a few days but that was resolved by raising the temp and adding salt. About 5 days later I noticed some white fuzz on the blue fish. 53916E45-426F-40E2-9F66-00986773F724.jpg

I’m currently treating with Paraguard.

I’m terms of flow I have two canister filters, one on either end. I also have a wave maker that blows occasionally to make sure there aren’t dead spots. They seem to be good with the amount of flow. Is that unusual? I wanted to have plenty of filtration.
    Last edited by GregMD; 03-26-2023 at 10:17 PM.

Page 96 of 101 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 ... LastLast