ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Acrylic Aquarium...Sea Clear? Whatcha Think?

Default Re: Acrylic Aquarium...Sea Clear? Whatcha Think?

Quote Originally Posted by skittles
    However, If you're going for BIG, acrylic will have the cost advantage.
    hi skittles!

would it be rude to ask how much your 238 cost because i have always found acrylic tanks, ESPECIALLY the bigger ones, to be much more expensive than glass. (2 to 3 times as much)..your supplier's prices would be of interest if he can match or beat glass prices for acrylic tanks! what was his price for a 180gal or 135 for instance please?

Quote Originally Posted by skittles
    Also, that silicone that seals glass seams will eventually dry up and leak, whereas a properly made acrylic seam won't.
    "eventually" must be a VERY long time cause i have tanks 9+ yrs old where the silicone remains soft and flexible and zero leaks. how long a time is it until the silicone becomes "dried up" from your experience?

thanks for your input and welcome to simply
    Tim

Registered Member

Hi! Thanks for the welcome. Well, you caught me reporting hearsay on the glass seams. Your witness there is probably better than mine, 'cause I was referring to the tank of a friend who had to re-seal his, and several other people I met who had the same problem. However, I can't tell you how old those tanks were.

My acrylic tank was actually not cheap, because I am a big silly and I insisted on a custom-sized bow (8" bow across 60" of tank rather than the standard 6") However, Stephen will quote you any size you want, and the good news is that if you want the 8" bow now, you can have it without paying for the custom jig, which he already made for me. Tell him I sent you, though!!! I want a kick-back .

I also compared Tenecor, who come highly recommended, but they will only go through a local retailer, and my local retailer got flakey on me. I was telling them I'm ready to order--please verify this pricing/details with me, and they were not returning my messages, or giving me the "yeah, whatever." What I had to pay in shipping I saved in taxes. (Out of state order.)

I will advise anyone, though, if you want to do freshwater, LIGHTS tend to come in 48" or 72". The only standard lights I was able to find at 60" were metal halide with actinic at at least 10k degrees kelvin. Plenty of selection for saltwater. Plus, even with my compact flourescent, which I finally went with, they add a little heat to the water.

I found a good supplier and manufacturer of acrylic and glass tanks in the state(TN) next to me . The prices are affordable. I am looking at the 135. It is made with 3/8 thick acrylic.
    www.glasscages.com

roberto.

On a 135 acrylic, I would go for at least 1/2" thick. My 180 3/8" caved out as soon as I put the water in. It's over 2 years and it's still holding out but the top has its curves

cobaltblue..did you price your tanks at king ed pets?? and timbo?? i paid..535.00 for a 100 gallon plexi. no canopies to buy..so thats also a savings.

EEEEK April! That sounds like alot. What does a 100 gal. glass tank cost? More or less? Not that I can have one
    Candy

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by alpine
    I found a good supplier and manufacturer of acrylic and glass tanks in the state(TN) next to me . The prices are affordable. I am looking at the 135. It is made with 3/8 thick acrylic.
    www.glasscages.com

roberto.
    I agree with Alan about the thickness. Check with several manufacturers on line and see what they recommend.

good luck!
    Skittles

Real Name
    Jim

As I remember, the top and bottom are usually thicker than the sides need to be. My 180 has 3/8 sides and 1/2 top/bottom and it cost me about 635. A tank from another mfg. had 1/2 all around but was 950... The tanks about 2 years old now and no problems..

My 90 is 3/8 all around... cool cause at that size they curve the front corners

Jim
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Jim, this 135 gallon tank is priced at $340.00 and $40.00 for a glass top. The 100 gallon tank is $240.00 . The manufacturer assure me that 3/8 was strong enough and they warranty their tanks and have a Great reputation .
    They have some acrylic 125 gallon used tanks in ebay and they seem to be going for around $100.00. I wish I was close to California so I could pick up , they want $175.00 for UPS shipping.

roberto.

candy..when you see those nice shiny..new plexi tanks in a store..how can you resist? besides i knew i had to move..so no way was i gonna move a glass tank or two.
    i paid 330.00 in canada for a 50 gallon glass tank.

Quote Originally Posted by April
    i paid 330.00 in canada for a 50 gallon glass tank.
    for just the tank? whoa

I just bought a 90gal in sept for $189 +HST (just the tank, no equipment) at Big Al's Aquarium Services in Ottawa

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234