AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acrylic Aquarium...Sea Clear? Whatcha Think?

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Default Re: Acrylic Aquarium...Sea Clear? Whatcha Think?

oh. They're in Hayward!

( glad this is my thread, ya think?)

I have to say no on acrylic tanks regardless of brand. I have a 180g which I'm selling and a 40g which I'll probably sell too. I've had the 180g for over 2 years. As soon as I filled it up with water it started bowing out. It's only 3/8" thick and I ordered 1/2" from the retailer. This was a big dispute that went back and forth, but that's another story. From what I heard they (acrylic tanks) are no good after 2.5 years or so. My tank is also scratched already. You try to wipe it and before you know it you scrubbed too hard trying to get that algae off even when you use the scrubs specially made for acrylic tanks. After I get rid of my 180g, I'm thinking of getting a 125g glass.

Ex, squeeze me, again, we DO NOT have an accent way up here in Canada. Be interesting if you do talk to April, then you can compare the "Island" to the "Mainland" accents but ya won't find one, eh? ........

.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

hi there..the holes that are on top they have these litltle light covers to cover the working holes about 12 inches by 8 inches somethin like that? then its completely covered..and you cna just put a shoplight over top or somethin or they do have light canopies..but discus dont need much light. i quit using lights. but in my shop..i have flourescent lighting on my ceiling anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by traco
    Ex, squeeze me, again, we DO NOT have an accent way up here in Canada. Be interesting if you do talk to April, then you can compare the "Island" to the "Mainland" accents but ya won't find one, eh? ........

LMAO!!

WoW, Barb...when I read that I was like saying it exactly like you would have .......said it........does that make sense? prolly not...lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    I have to say no on acrylic tanks regardless of brand. I have a 180g which I'm selling and a 40g which I'll probably sell too. I've had the 180g for over 2 years. As soon as I filled it up with water it started bowing out. It's only 3/8" thick and I ordered 1/2" from the retailer. This was a big dispute that went back and forth, but that's another story. From what I heard they (acrylic tanks) are no good after 2.5 years or so. My tank is also scratched already. You try to wipe it and before you know it you scrubbed too hard trying to get that algae off even when you use the scrubs specially made for acrylic tanks. After I get rid of my 180g, I'm thinking of getting a 125g glass.

Oh, ****-tums! Hopefully, you are not the norm? Cuz I may be getting a 40gal, Alan! ...at a really good price~

I appreciate sharing your experience with us. So, I guess it is safe to assume you would never buy another? lol...

Come on, Alan....tell me something good?

Marie~

well..thats why i said go with tru-vu.they give a very good warranty. mine are almost 10 years old..or maybe 8 and no bowing. i got one made by someone in the buy and sell paper though..and a disaster. all acrylic are not equal. and some yellow. truvus dont yellow and mine dont bow. maybe the top a bit..she can talk to the truvu company though..and see what they offer for guarantee. tiny fine scratches..you dont see when water is in them. if you have mega lights..you could get algae..i quit using lights right on top..and no algae.
    decisions..decisions eh Marie?? their safer for no leaks or cracks..

Hey You~

I think by now you know I bought the 55gal from good ol Pets Mart~

Someday tho, I will try one of those tanks as they look so clear and no seams! I love that~ (actually, Hell No....I won't cuz I am not getting anymore tanks)

I know our discus do not need much light, but I need the light...lol...dayumit, April! We gave them bare bottoms, no sand, So I need to SEE that , don't I ? lol!

Marie~

OK, I'm waiting for the post "The lighting is bad (in Marie wording) on my new tank" LOL!

Tina

aww...man, that is sooooooo mean, Tina! Actually that is one of the things that I didnt wanna get a 55 cuz of the lighting....I just bought that new light for my other 55 and it wasnt cheap make no mistake about that...

And soooooooooooooo, whatz your point?? It does look awful, Tina, it does! You have to come and see the difference~

Marie~ ( no Starbucks for you today, Ms. Tina)

Wah, you cut to the quick Marie, NO STARBUCKS! LOL. It's raining too, so I have to choose between getting wet or my coffee... (lots of times getting wet wins)

Just set up my new light on the 60 that I told you about (has the footprint of a 50-55 which the stand was supposed to be for, but DH had me set up the tank elsewhere). Got the light for it off of ebay (a corallife aqualight). I hear ya that the lights aren't cheap! I think the tank is the cheapest part of this hobby! Kinda like the bedding costing more than the mattress sort of thing.

Tina

Buy small glass tanks, Big acrylic ones

I guess this post is too late then.

Anyway, FYI, I do have a 40g acrylic tank by Clear for Life. It did bow out when I bought it about 2+ years ago (almost the same time as the 180g when I got bit by the aquarist hobby). The LFS owner said it was normal. I think it's holding better than the 180g though (less water pressure from the inside). It's about 1/4" or 3/8" thick and has curved front corners. But, yes I won't be buying any acrylic soon.

This thread is hot, I see barebottoms and I see cracks. What's next? :rolleyes2

Registered Member

Acrylic aquariums will always bow out, no matter how thick you get them in. Bowing in not a problem on acrylic tanks, since structurally, acrylic is stronger than glass, and the bonding of the acrylic pieces is also stronger than the silicone used to bond glass. Acrylic is also clearer than glass and is lightweight, which is why many aquarists buy acrylic tanks when they get tanks larger than 100 gallons.

The only downsides to acrylic aquariums are that they scratch easily and that they are expensive. Scratching can be kept to a minimum if you use algae scrubbers that are made for acrylic. Smaller acrylic tanks are expensive when you compare them to the same size glass counterparts. However, as tanks get larger, the price of acrylic actually goes down to the point where they are cheaper than glass tanks.

IMO, you could get a 40 gal glass tank for much cheaper than an acrylic (unless you were buying the acrylic tank from a certain friend ).

Thanks Guys!!

I did decide on the 55gal glass tank! But I am so done! Someday I would really want to get an acrylic tank. They look very nice without the seams, and appear much more clear, dontcha think? But they are very expensive. April goes thru a company with a pretty awesome warranty~

Marie~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast