ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acrylic Aquarium...Sea Clear? Whatcha Think?

Default Re: Acrylic Aquarium...Sea Clear? Whatcha Think?

The other thing to remember is "Not all Glass Tanks are Made Equal" If you are looking for a display tank don't buy the cheapies ! And tempered glass tanks usually cannot be drilled (I think?)
    Last edited by Elcid; 12-28-2005 at 07:18 PM.

you are correct Elcid tempered glass isnt drill friendly

Esthetically speaking, i love the look of a brand new acrylic tank..curved corners, few seams, light weight, but...hardness (scratch resistance) can be a question versus glass and some of the old ones used to "yellow" over time, but i think that has been corrected with the newer materials and not much of an issue these daze.

guess it kind of depends on what you want...acrylic makes an EXCELLENT display tank, but for working tanks...i'd always go glass.

Registered Member Uncle Raymond's Avatar
    Real Name
    Raymond

I have had acrylic more than 15 years... they ROCK!!! stronger than glass, lighter than glass, no silicon edges, clear as thin air!!!!! Go with Tenecor or Tru-Vu, will not yellow or crack.... serious warranty.

http://www.tenecor.com/

http://www.truvuaquariums.com/truvu_site/

Wow, ur acrylic tank is almost as old as mine , If you post pics of the topview of yours, I'll post pics of mine

You all got me interested in the acrylic tanks....but ...you forgot to tell me they are about 3 times more expensivethan the All Glass tanks. I am looking for a 125 tank to go upstairs in my fishroom (14 steps-right angle turn downstairs ) and after reading about the acrylic's lightweight I got real exited until I went to the links you all posted and saw the pricing !!!!
    The 125 "All Glass " tank, top and light is $299.00 close to me for pick up...the acrylics I looked at were $900.00 + plus...

roberto.

Roberto, ur comparing apples with oranges, check out the price of an Oceanic 125 gallon...

ive been checking 120-130g tanks alot in the past couple days. Cheapest tank ive found (new) is a perfecto from Big Als. 199$ for the 120g. Now you do get what you pay for. All-Glass and Oceanic ive found the 125g for 299$.These are canadian dollars, so even cheaper for you americans. IVe looked into a few acrylics and cannot find under 800$ for a 125g....there is a huge difference.
    Sincerely, Chris

Elcid .. ???

Ok..Ok ..they are at least twice as much. I noticed the weight of the acrylic was 79 pounds ...I would like to know what the "All Glass " weights. I went to the website but they did not list the weight of the tanks, just the dimensions.

roberto.

You could move a 125 gallon All Glass tank by urself if ur brave and have a strong back, atleast the cheap one if it's made of tempered glass....

Registered Member

>I would like to know what the "All Glass " weights

http://www.all-glass.com/services/techinfo.shtml

Sergey.

http://www.all-glass.com/services/techinfo.shtml

here is the link to the weights of all glass aquariums.

the 125 weighs 206lb empty, 1400lb full.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sincerely, Chris

Thank you. My concern of the weight are the stairs.

roberto.

Registered Member

Under a certain size, glass is both cheaper and more readily available. However, If you're going for BIG, acrylic will have the cost advantage. Also, that silicone that seals glass seams will eventually dry up and leak, whereas a properly made acrylic seam won't. Acrylic is lighter, and fine scratches can be buffed out. Acrylic is also a lot harder to break by hitting (a very important point if you have kids and fish in the same house.)

You can custom-order tanks all over the place; however, watch out for the thickness of acrylic used, and get references. When comparing prices, be aware that most people will quote you a "show tank," in other words not drilled or plumbed for filtration, and without pre-filters. Pre's are extra. You can also have blue or black laminated to the back, bottom, sides, etc. You can also have the pre-filter placed in the center of the tank if you want to view from all sides, or at one end if you use your tank as a room divider.

I bought my 238 gal bowfront (225 if you subtract the thickness, airspace, and add the extra in the sump) from a little outfit in Florida called Aquariums By The Sea (squish it all together and add a .com for their website.) The owner, Stephen McCarty took all the time in the world to answer every question I had both before and after the sale, and even after delivery. It was great. It was scary to order a tank from so far away, but I know Stephen will stand by every tank he builds. I know that because the worst happened--the (bleep, bleep) shipper reduced the shipping pallette size and cracked my tank, but Stephen immediately took the tank back and promised me a new one even if we were unsuccessful in getting the shipper's insurance settlement (we finally did get it.) Long story short, I have my new tank up and running now, and am very happy with it. It's going to be really cool as soon as it cycles and gets a few discus....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast