AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise, surprise!!!

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Kenny's Discus's Avatar

Smile Re: Surprise, surprise!!!

Thanks Jarrod but correction - they are eggs not frys lol. But I was so excited to see that breeding finally starting for this most beloved pair that I need to share with others here. No problem about the frys but I have to get them to frys stage first at this point.

Take care Jarrod, keep in touch!
    Kenny

Thumbs up Re: Surprise, surprise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by loverboy
    Thanks Jarrod but correction - they are eggs not frys lol. But I was so excited to see that breeding finally starting for this most beloved pair that I need to share with others here. No problem about the frys but I have to get them to frys stage first at this point.

Take care Jarrod, keep in touch!
    Kenny
    Well Kenny...I will stand corrected lol...I have a hard time seeing alot of things in pics and in real time as well...this damn MS has left me blind in one eye. But hey...I'm soooo happy for ya bud!! that is what it's all about!!

Jarrod
    Discus an ADDICTION but at least a legal one with no KNOWN cure! 2 -55 gal 1 -29 gal 1-25 gal 6 Sunshines,2 Candy Apple Reds,4 Scribbled Reds,4 White Diamonds

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Surprise, surprise!!!

Marie,, I hate to admit it,, kenny is absolutely right!! It never ends. We are discus addicts like we were on some kind of fish crack. Smokin out :rolleyes2 !! LOL. We didnt think you would be able to tear away on a wednesday,, we know how hard at work you are all the time.

Cage,,,, hehehehe,,,, it really is kinda cool to have a bunch of people in the local area to talk discus with and enjoy the hobby ,, MOVE TO CALI!! We'll let you join our little party .

Kenny,, I will be making another trip up there when those red babies are swimming around the tank. That will be a cool sight to see (all that red). Of course,,, i will be bringing my travel box like normal,,, and you will be short about half a dozen when I leave. I have time to prepare a new tank for them. See marie,,, i'm already planning for new additions. I will have the 75g ready for the 5 you decide to let go in the future. The 4 I got from kenny will be moved into the 85g to chill with the other 2. Then I will make room for reds. Then,,,,, Then,,, Then,,, Oh got lost there for a minute. Mike

Marie,

Kenny's place isn't that far, we can make a trip all together (ummmm, maybe I should drive, LOL, jk). LOL, yes, Kenny has the magic touch with those discus! I know it isn't the snow leopard male I got from him since his brothers are making babies right and left, just somehow the female isn't in the mood anymore (must have had a falling out since before she was laying eggs every week to 5 days!).

Wow, I just want to get to the wiggler stage!

Thanks Marie for the kind words on my discus (LOL, of course you probably saw all the different types of dry foods they get, plus you saw the worms, but missed the stuff in the freezer, good thing DH is tolerent of that stuff!)

Tina

Real Name
    Mike

Yeah Tina,, You better drive (dont need any Marie Andretti's running around up in the sf area). That camera is prolly on the lookout for her .Maybe soon,,, we should,,, all get together for our own discus group. Mike

Kenny, that is awesome news!! I was in your garage with Mike just a few hours before and we (atleast I) didn't really see the eggs!! Thanks for sharing the pics and, more importantly, thanks for spending time with me and Mike yesterday. You have the magic touch, and like Mike, I wish some of that will rub off on me as well. Visiting Herman was an awakening of sorts!!!

But, man your scarlets look absolutely gorgeous. Great pictures too!! Mike is right about this hobby being so addictive. I started with a 37 gal in Sept, got a used 29gal for QT in Nov and...yesterday Kenny helped me get a 55gal for a good price. Now, the work begins I can't wait to setup my 55g over the next few days or so and I will be back at Kenny's door again for more

Mike, BTW, my workplace is less than a 15 minute drive to Kenny's so I got you beat to the red scarlet juvvies

Marie et. al., there definitely is an avid group of discus hobbyists in the Bay Area (yeah, we will let Sacramento is as part of the Greater Bay Area ). Maybe we can all get together in SF once ina while and chat/discuss /share ideas etc. etc. Let me know

Real Name
    Mike

Sugio, hey buddy old pal of mine,, SAVE SOME FOR MEEEE! Yes, you have me beat with that time! GGRRRRR, lol. Kenny is a very gracious host,, good meeting you. Make sure you cycle that tank good before introducing any new discus. Sometimes I get excited and rush things a little. It pays off in the end when you use patience which i have none. Lots of wc's keeps me out of trouble until the tank settles. We could definately plan a get together for everyone in our area. Some of the more important breeders in the area are usually busy but who knows,, maybe they would like to join in,,,,Cliff? Brigette? Anyone? I know we could gather 6-8 right now. I know that BAD is going to plan one later in the season (David Hui) like the tour they did last oct.

Yeah,,, Herman,,, nice guy and definately knows how to raise discus. When I first stopped at that shop,, i thought,, poor fish! Well,, he may be off the beaten path of many hobbyists currently but he is one of the masters and has been doing this successfully for longer than many of us have been alive. His methods are odd but it works. We saw that with our own eyes!!
    There are many more breeders that we dont here from that live in the sf area. Cliff has all the contacts in the bay area. I wish I had his aquaintances. He has a history in discus and some very nice fish,,which I hope to see in person soon??? Cliff???
    Mike
    Last edited by White Worm; 12-29-2005 at 03:17 PM.

Im interested in hearing about some of hermans odd methods of discus raising.

I like hearing everyones methods and experimenting and then see what works best for me. Everyones setup and situations are completely different.

Talking Re: Surprise, surprise!!!

Rick,

(Willie if you're reading this here we go :-)) Basically if you want to learn Herman's method all you have to do is not change your tanks' water for weeks, feed them CBW and never wipe down any sides of your tanks.........LOL

Sorry Willie can't resist it! But seriously speaking Herman's way of raising Discus are a little out of the main stream but it's been working for 40 yrs +
    wonderfully. I wouldn't recommend hobbyists these days to adapt his techniques with today's many more advanced/efficient methods which simply wasn't available 40 years ago.

Kenny

Real Name
    Mike

Kenny, you said it, those techniques have been mastered and practiced for years by him and I'm not sure they would work for everyone nowwa days. You should see it,,, tanks just wiped on the front side so you can see the discus,,,but,,,,huge, round, healthy, breeding, and amazing.

Cage,, different setups and situations doesnt begin to explain it, lol You have to see it to believe it and then you still have a hard time.
    Mike
    Last edited by White Worm; 12-29-2005 at 06:55 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Surprise, surprise!!!

Yes Mike I totally agreed and that's why I have so much respect for the master Herman. Imagine you are doing it for 40 yrs during all the good/bad times. I doubt many people can do manual WC's for 200-300 tanks that long and still be in the game. This more than anything shows you the love he has for Discus.

Kenny

Real Name
    Mike

You know, I didnt even think about that,, he doesnt have any automated wc capability,,,all by hand. Wow, can you imagine wc on that many tanks manually?? Thats amazing.

Hi all - thanks all who have been reading this. Here are a few more pics and an update at the 30th hour of the spawn:

Here's the female tending the eggs continously. All eggs seem to be intact(not eaten) but at this 30th hr 1/6 of the eggs are white(unfertilized). I'm sure more white eggs are to come as this is their 1st try.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kenny's Discus; 12-30-2005 at 01:05 AM.

Male's turn tending the eggs while the female looking for food.....
    Last edited by Kenny's Discus; 12-30-2005 at 01:02 AM.

Both looking a little shy when the camera lens was literally touching the front glass. You guys owe me one if they end up eating the eggs! lol

Someone has to be responsible for the possible spook and my courage! LOL Who asked for these pics in the first place huh? Oh sorry......it was myself. :-)
    Last edited by Kenny's Discus; 12-30-2005 at 02:18 AM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast