AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: What not to buy

Default Re: What not to buy

Hey Guyz i am new to discus...so i bought 6 peice of discus 3 of them are torquise and 1 Marlboro 1 blue daimond n the last one is mapped i guess but my question is out of 3 of my torquise one doesn't show stress lines but the other 2 does show alwayz....the all seems pretty good there but m worried about the stress lines is it ok or normal or should i try some preventive measure....every discus in my tank are 2 inches in size.
    temp 82F
    uploadfromtaptalk1408822103808.jpg

Real Name
    Ricardo

Unfortunately, those are stunted. You can tell by the large eye to body ratio, and also the fact that they have full adult coloration and considering you are saying these are 2" fish (which I don't think is accurate btw)

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Nathan

Hi folks,

Are these stunted?

Please let me know if I should open a new thread instead. Thank you!

Real Name
    Nathan

The pictures above were taken about 5 days since i got them, so they were still very skittish and hard to take pics of. They seem to be slowly getting more used to my presence, so hopefully I can take better shots later on.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wahter View Post
    Here are some pics I took from a local aquarium shop of their discus. Definitely a good example of what NOT to buy. Hope this helps - just keep in mind that it's very important to start off with good, healthy fish.

Walter
    Good pictures of what not to buy. It's sad to see discus in a bad shape like
    that.

Real Name
    Armen H

Great info to know. At my local LFS its about the same, bad quality fish, poor guys.

Registered Member

I got one like that at the last local action. Try to save him but I was a lost cause and at the end die....

One of the my local lfs gets fish from hans , but if there in the store too long they start to get real dark and thin looking .
    last time I was there they priced one tank of various strains at 20 a fish but they just looked to far gone eyes were big and very dark color could not easily tell what strain.

Registered Member

Really nice info for a noob like me thanks

are any of these defects reversible ?

I'm wondering there's no thread like "where not to buy discus?"

That thread may get a little phishy

I can see the point of this what not to buy... But some of us don't have $60 for the perfect 2 inch discus.. Or $150 for the perfect 5 inch discus.. When I started out I bought a couple sick discus like in the pictures in the first page of the thread... One was black.. had ich.. lots of grey slime on him.. and a broken fin.. I got him from petco for $20 I bought him because I felt sorry for him and I knew with that $20 sale some kid or newbie in fish keeping would buy him and toss him in a newely setup tank

I have had him for a little over 3 months now and this what he looks like now... Hes grown quiet a bit and look at his colors.. He probably wont reach 7-8 inches maybe about 5 or 6 but that's ok I feel good I saved him from certain death.. and hes growing, happy and healthy and in fact hes the alpha of all my discus

Last edited by candymancan; 01-01-2015 at 09:46 PM.

Registered Member Driftwood Mike's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike

I have some of these myself. Unfortunately I too can't afford show quality either although I love looking at all the pictures of these amazing fish. The one thing I have learned is all the tips and advice are helpful to all discus and even the misfits bring great enjoyment. Who knows, someday I'll be posting some pictures of fish from Hans and I will be better prepared to care for them. And thank you to all the pros for sharing your knowledge and experience!

Registered Member RolnwitdaDISC's Avatar
    Real Name
    Anthony

Im thinking I learned the hard way

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast