ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What not to buy

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

Default Re: What not to buy

Goheel
    Fish like that will only scare the customers away.
    Here is how I see it................

I agree with what you said from your perspective.......but..............

More than likely the fish store owner knows he can still sell them or he wouldn't keep buying them selling them.

The lack of care comes down to money. Consumer isn't educated so why spend the time caring for them when they buy anyways is a lot of corporate attitudes.

Or...........

They don't have a clue what one is to look like in the first place. Not talking about the fish in this thread with short gill plate.

Wouldn't it be cool if the hobbyist around these stores which are in every city in the US start selling them decent stock instead of dropping off their culls?

At least then it would definetly be the Owners fault for lack of training for his employees.

The fish displayed would have a chance.

You see on the news people getting busted for dogs or horses starving to death or body in terrible shape yet these LFS get away with it with Discus all the time.
    http://www.atthegateministries.org/index.html

Registered Member

I know I'm not buying any discus from that store. I think they just have bad water or something, because I saw the pigeon blood when it's first arrived. It looked pretty good, but 2 weeks later, it looked a whole lot worse. The discus price at that store was ridiculous too. Small 2.5 inch fish for $50-60.

thats sad, really

if that was local to me, i'd speak to the owner and see if maybe he would let me make "a project" of them, they arent long for the world otherwise i dont think. they may be too far gone, dunno. sad

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo
    thats sad, really

if that was local to me, i'd speak to the owner and see if maybe he would let me make "a project" of them, they arent long for the world otherwise i dont think. they may be too far gone, dunno. sad
    that's a good idea, too bad I don't have any tank space. I wonder if they're saveable though.

for the most part..id say they are too far gone. im sure they arent eating..and have hex..and possibly even capillaria . if someone does buy them..then they made a sale and it goes on and on.
    kinda like the puppies in the lps.. people buy them to give them a home..and they are quickly replaced.
    awhile back.Brew and others printed out a care sheet on simply that could be photocopied and given to the local fish stores.

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Richardson
    Wouldn't it be cool if the hobbyist around these stores which are in every city in the US start selling them decent stock instead of dropping off their culls?

People do that? They drop off their culls? Why would they do that? How do you know they do that, Greg? I'm guessing cuz there are so many less than desirable fish in lfs...... Arent culls suppose to be culled? Or am i just an idiot here??

Marie~

Forever Friends

Poor little guys It's so sad to see them like that.

From my experience, fish stores ask for the culls at a reduced price because (they say) the buyer doesn't know any better and pays top dollar for them. I have been asked to supply certain stores with 'culls' -- which, I won't even send my culls there.

I have told some fish store managers exactly how to treat some of their sick fish, they say they can't be bothered. D...n.... one local store WON'T EVEN FEED THEM!!!! The employees are not allowed to feed the discus! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Barb
    Last edited by Barb Newell; 01-08-2006 at 03:26 PM.
    Feb 14, 1962- Dec 5, 2007

Barb was a friend to us all and we will all miss her dearly....Rest in Peace .

Registered Member

I bought some fancy goldfish from this store, but I don't think I'll ever buy discus from there.

Registered Member

Something I've wondered about...a lot of fish stores seem to be on centralized filtration. Do pet shops have a separate water circuit for discus tanks so they can be kept at higher temp, or do the discus just have to deal with cold water on top of everything else? Also, does anyone know whether shops typically use UV or other sterilizers, or do the fish all share the same bacteria, parasites, etc.?

Marie.
    People do that? They drop off their culls? Why would they do that? How do you know they do that, Greg? I'm guessing cuz there are so many less than desirable fish in lfs

I've read about it. I myself have traded some fish for food that didn't grow out as well as I thought they would at one place. Heck those two fish were better than 95% of their stock.

That statement really can't be a general statement because some LFS actually try to get good stock.

I just think it would really help the hobby if hobbyist started supplying the stores with some good stock.

Up the bar.

Real Name
    Mike

When I breed, I may do that. At least maybe get them to purchase some high quality and make sure they understand taking care of them. I already know the fish managers at 2 petcos in my area. They have put alot of money into their aquarium and fish area and they are ready to purchase some when I get some. Some lfs's that are decent will also get a few. I will only start out with a few and see how they work out in their tanks. Yes I believe they have cental filtration which isnt good for discus. Maybe I can get them to set up just discus tanks as their displays. Right now they have just some gold fish and rainbows in their front 4 tanks as display that arent on central.

well..one lfs here..showed my his pricelist. different lfs get from different sources. some self import..but be sure they arent paying high price for grade A. and lets face it..why would a big hatchery send their best fish to lfs? their very best fish go to japan etc..and people who will be good customers etc.
    some..get from brokers. brokers collect grade B fish from breeders..and have holding tanks and distribute. most breeders sell their best fry from each batch to people on forums etc..or hand picking..and shipping. grade B go to wholesalers. then they sell to lfs. anyhow..i was suggesting this one lfs got from some breeder in united states. so he showed me the price list. 90 cents for a cobalt. etc etc.
    wilds..8.00 each .
    my lfs had separate filters for their discus..of course..there are some lfs im sure who know discus and do good by them.
    we;ve had lots of discus enthusiasts try to help lfs save sick discus. they know tropical fish..and find it hard to listen to someone coming in the door and telling them how to do their job. resentment.. which can be understood.
    if someone came in and told me how to groom a dog..im sure i would have a bit of a hard time swallowing it..as i feel i know my job. : )

Quote Originally Posted by April
    we;ve had lots of discus enthusiasts try to help lfs save sick discus. they know tropical fish..and find it hard to listen to someone coming in the door and telling them how to do their job. resentment.. which can be understood.
    if someone came in and told me how to groom a dog..im sure i would have a bit of a hard time swallowing it..as i feel i know my job. : )
    that would depend on what the dog looked like after the grooming i'd think. if you messed it up and the dog looked gross, you wouldnt expect a paying customer to say something? and what they are doing to those fish isnt just a bad haircut either, really..its life-threatening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb Newell
    I have told some fish store managers exactly how to treat some of their sick fish
    I wouldnt hesitate to do what Barb did either if I saw discus being treated like the ones in this thread. Morally, i couldnt, i'd just have to say something, try to help anyway...and i wouldnt care if they found it "hard to listen to"

Your dogs look great.

Their Fish suck.

I agree some resentment, but the FACTS are right there in front of their face.

Maybe they get mad, whatever, but I bet it makes them think.

And just maybe some of them do something about it.

BTW. How in the heck after shipping, food, labor can ya sell a discus for .90 I'll never understand.
    I know labor cheap, food bought bulk, quanity shipped, but still.

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Richardson
    BTW. How in the heck after shipping, food, labor can ya sell a discus for .90 I'll never understand.
    I know labor cheap, food bought bulk, quanity shipped, but still.

I would like to ask them how they justify that ? How do they come up with such an amount?

wow~

Marie~

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast