ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: What not to buy

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lew Heifner

Default Re: What not to buy

So, for those of us who cannot afford "show" discus, where can we buy reasonable quality discus on a poor man's budget?

Thanks,
    Lew Heifner

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

I got news for you....almost no one is buying show fish. A real show fish starts at $1000.00 if you have a relationship with the breeder and goes up dramatically from there. Buying cheap discus will cost you much more in the end. Buy quality fish and make your life easy. There are several sponsors here that all charge very fair prices. Sometimes you are lucky to have a local hobbyist breeder but if you have to have them shipped in then make damned sure you are buying quality. Buying "cheap" fish is normally very expensive in the end.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by n0kjf View Post
    So, for those of us who cannot afford "show" discus, where can we buy reasonable quality discus on a poor man's budget?

Thanks,
    Lew Heifner
    buy from our sponsors.... those fish have never been in a show.. the next NADA .. is in 2016! so from now till then.. there are lots of NON Show fish
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Larry

Very sad to see discus in that type of shape and in with other fish they should NOT be in with.

Quote Originally Posted by Discus Hawk View Post
    Very sad to see discus in that type of shape and in with other fish they should NOT be in with.
    thats why we need to be educated buyers
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by n0kjf View Post

Thanks,
    Lew Heifner
    To be honest, cost of the fish is not super high. It's the food, water, electric, medication that gets to be expensive. Fish can be bought from our sponsors for as low as $20 each + the cost of shipping. Food on the other hand is $20-$30 for a few ozs of FDBD or if you are willing to make your own beefheart, then the price drops.

Real Name
    Liz

Thank goodness for this site

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Navarro A. E.

Thanks Walter, I've never seen discus that looked like those. Is it not allowed to state the name of the LFS that's selling sick fish of any kind or can we say their name? Maybe if they get bad press they might straighten up.

Quote Originally Posted by navarro1950 View Post
    Thanks Walter, I've never seen discus that looked like those. Is it not allowed to state the name of the LFS that's selling sick fish of any kind or can we say their name? Maybe if they get bad press they might straighten up.
    Regardless of this being a late response, this type of sickly, stunted fish is very common and is more common when it comes to lps/lfs's than it is uncommon.

I've seen and see fish like this all the time, especially at Petco's which is a chain that serves many pet owners as a responsible member of the dog, cat, etc. community but really shouldn't be selling anything more than gouramis, guppies, but NOT Discus. The numbers of stores that sell fish like this are too numerous to mention.

It's really a shame to see sickly, struggling, and basically dying fish that never had a chance to begin with.
    Last edited by DISCUS STU; 07-15-2015 at 02:37 PM.

I agree.disgacefull.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

There are two lfs in town and one store knows what they are doing and other store has discus because the first store has them. The first store I saw them in was the poor quality discus and I was really close to buying from them, but when I asked about Discus they had no clue about them. Upon further research I found that the discus on the second store to be very poor quality. I would think that if you are a LFS owner that you would want to know your product, so you can keep your overhead low. I rarely buy fish at Petsmart or Petco because I'm not sure they're well taken care of.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenmelondiscus View Post
    There are two lfs in town and one store knows what they are doing and other store has discus because the first store has them. The first store I saw them in was the poor quality discus and I was really close to buying from them, but when I asked about Discus they had no clue about them. Upon further research I found that the discus on the second store to be very poor quality. I would think that if you are a LFS owner that you would want to know your product, so you can keep your overhead low. I rarely buy fish at Petsmart or Petco because I'm not sure they're well taken care of.
    Avoid all LFS's for discus purchase. Support LFS by buying equipment if they are competitively priced. I posted a reply to your other thread. Buy from a sponsor here and buy with confidence.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

This sticky should also show the defects of discus, many LFS sell these defects, and also some breeders don't know about this. I was sold defective fish by a breeder.

Registered Member

It is truly sickening what is sold in some LFS, they buy cheap castoffs and sell them at a premium price!

Really great discussion. This is very useful.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast