ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Why my tank glass is always covered with tiny white cotton-like thing?

Registered Member

Default Why my tank glass is always covered with tiny white cotton-like thing?

Hi,

Does anyone know what is the very very tiny and cotton flower-like things that cover my tank glass. It will appear even after the WC. Are they fungus. How can I get rid of them? Thanks!

How do you maintain the water clearness without WC? I heard someone say discus can do better in old water. I currently only use the air driven sponge filter (said to can be used for 95 gallon tank). My tank holds only 30 gallons of water.

Thanks!

Default Re: Why my tank glass is always covered with tiny white cotton-like thing?

Hi,
    What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

WIpe down the inside of the aquarium glass at least once per wk with paper towel.

hth
    Ardan

Registered Member

Default Re: Why my tank glass is always covered with tiny white cotton-like thing?

If by "flower-like" you mean individual organisms with a stalk and a number of tentacles at the end, they sound like hydras. They are harmless to discus (except that they may be able to catch and eat very tiny fry), and discus are harmless to them. Only a few fish, such as some gouramis, will eat hydras. They can probably be killed by potassium permanganate. But I'd say anything growing on the glass is more a symptom of high dissolved organics than a problem in itself.

Hi,
    But I'd say anything growing on the glass is more a symptom of high dissolved organics than a problem in itself.
    I agree, good point. This is why nitrate reading may give some insight.

what are your wc and filter cleaning regimen? How many fish?

I would do wc's of 50% per day. Squeeze the sponge in used aquarium water daily, wipe sides of tank whenever it feels slimy or looks like something is on it.

hth
    Ardan