AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Just set up an Eheim 2229 and...

Default Just set up an Eheim 2229 and...

I'm still debating on it. Got it for a good price at a LFS parking lot sale. Wasn't expecting the wave action, water go like a bat out a h... then slow down then water rushing out again. Boy does it hold a lot of substrate though! I replaced a Filstar XP3 with it and it took 5 liters of substrate while my XP3 was around 2 liters.

We'll see how well it does. I still have an 2227 I can set up on another tank too (bought at the same parking lot sale ).

Tina

Default Re: Just set up an Eheim 2229 and...

that’s one h... of a nice filter!
    - don't eat my fish

You may hear some bias on the board about any canister type filters because they tend to collect sediment (mulm). Additionally, in the event of a power failure, they quickly become anaerobic. This filter is different though because it is actually a wet/dry filter that allows for oxygenation. They work really well and keep the water very clean but they still collect mulm. The way to combat this is to use a prefilter just like is recommended for an aquaclear type filter. Also, open the filter and rinse it and the media with tank water or aged, dechlorinated water regularly. The literature that comes with the filter says you may clean it every 6 months. This wasn't written by a Discus keeper. You need to rinse it every 4-6 weeks. If you do this, you will love this filter. If not, you will be fighting unexplained illness in your fish and high nitrates. The biggest drawback to these filters is that they are very expensive if you have to buy them retail. If you stumbled on a deal-lucky you.
    Just my limited experience.

Tina, I use one of these on my display tank and like Cary says, fit a prefilter sponge and rinse the media once every few weeks (I do mine every 2 months.. lazy so and so) I rinse the sponge once every week, works brilliantly.

Paul.

Real Name
    Jim

I have a 2229 on my 180, along with a couple of 2217's. The wave action caught be by surprise too... the literature mentioned the cannister emptied and filled to get the wet/dry action, but I didn't realize the difference in the flows would be so dramatic... I seem to be the only one in the house that notices though cause it doesn't seem to bother the fish... LOL

You could plug the breathter tube, and then it would simply pump hard like a regular Eheim Pro, buy you're better off with the breather open. Not only for the oxygenation, but also cause you'll get better bacterial growth in the wet/dry

You'll only notice it during WC's anyway

Jim
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Registered Member

Hello all,

Just curious about something with this model filter.....I have 2 of them, got one a little over a year ago, the other about 3 months ago. Both had the same problem with the top connection of the air chamber where it wouldn't push in like it should in order to seal because the o-ring was either too large or the size of the hole was too small. Even when lubricated I shredded a few o-rings trying to get it pushed in. Other than that I think the filters work very well, which is why I bought the 2nd one after having problems with the 1st. Any one else have this problem or am I just the lucky one. BTW I contacted Eheim about this when I bought the 1st one and found that their customer service is non-existent. When I called the day I tried setting it up and shredded the 1st o-ring, after a few long distance calls and quite a while on hold I was told they would be sending out replacement parts to "fix the problem". About 2 weeks later I got tired of waiting and took it to the hardware store to get what I needed. Ended up having to bevel the edge of the hole in the filter housings and use a slightly thinner o-ring than the ones provided with the filter. Never did receive anything from them. I thought maybe it was just a problem with the 1st one until I bought the 2nd and ended up having to do the same thing to get it to work.

Mike

After running overnight BOY IS MY TANK CLEANER! LOL! My one big beef though is after I had my other canister torn down and this one all assembled and ready to go, I read it needs a special part to prime??? I ended up having to take the intake hose off, adding some water, putting it back on to prime . I'm hoping that I can get the other filter on my other tank but it isn't that 3'3" to the top of the tank (have it close to the floor and it is around 28" to top of tank). I wonder if this will effect how the filter works?

Tina